JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Rep Huffman <[email protected]>

8:51 PM (2 hours ago)

David,

I will be working with Rep. Richardson during the coming months to present a balanced, common sense approach to school safety. I, like Rep. Richardson believe every Oregon school has employees who are ex-police and ex-military that already have some training and would volunteer for regular/continued training to be a school protector. Or, possibly retired police officers that would like to do some volunteer work or work part time for a small amount of money to patrol a school. We believe these are possible options for consideration. Additionally, we realize that we need to consider other factors like mental health, and access to weapons by mentally unstable people.

I recently talked to the chief law enforcement officer in one community that is developing a plan with business people and employees within a two block area of the local school to be trained and act as school protectors. We can figure out how to keep our kids safer at school, and do it safely and cost effectively without banning guns and stripping law abiding citizens of their Constitutional rights.

The Clackamas Town Center incident shows the power of one trained citizen with a CHL. Certainly, any plan needs to be well thought out but I believe we can develop a plan that allows local school districts and communities to keep their kids safe without the foolish thinking of disarming citizens.

Sincerely,

HUFFMAN_signature_First_Name_3

Rep. John Huffman

House Dist. 59

This is a responce I recieved from Jerr Merkley on one of the many emails I have sent our Oregon reps.

Dear Ron,

Thank you for contacting me to share your concerns about the United Nations Arms Trade Treaty. I appreciate hearing from you.

I am a strong supporter of our Second Amendment rights. Coming from a rural community myself, I am committed to protecting the rights of law-abiding citizens to own firearms for hunting, protection, or frankly, for any reason they please. I will not support any treaty that I believe undermines our constitutional rights.

As you may know, the Conference on the Arms Trade Treaty was not able to finalize the treaty language when it convened in July. After submitting a report to the General Assembly, another committee may be convened to further work on potential Arms Trade Treaty language. If such a treaty is agreed upon, participation by the United States would require President Obama to sign the treaty and submit it to the Senate, and would then require two-thirds of the full Senate to vote to approve it.

I have heard from Oregonians who are concerned that this potential treaty could infringe on our Second Amendment rights, and some support the Second Amendment Sovereignty Act of 2012, which would prohibit the United States from participating in negotiations on the potential treaty. That bill has been referred to the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, of which I am not a member. However, please know that as a strong supporter of protecting Second Amendment rights, I will keep your views in mind should this treaty or related legislation come before the full Senate.

Thank you, again, for contacting me. I hope you continue to send your thoughts and observations my way.

Sincerely,

Jeffrey A. Merkley
United States Senator

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR