Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Renton Fish and Game Range

Discussion in 'Outdoor Shooting Areas' started by Logan Wilson, May 10, 2016.

1. Logan Wilson

Logan Wilson Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Has anyone from NWFA had any experience at this range? From the reviews I can find they make the place sound atrocious, but with it being fairly close I would like to go here versus Greenwater pit which is a 2.5 hour drive. Any input is appreciated!

2. Fordcragar

Fordcragar Renton, Washington Active Member

I live about a mile from it, but haven't any recent experience with it (I remember shooting there many many years ago). We did drive down and look, but we were looking at indoor ranges this last winter. You might check out their website:

http://www.rfgc.org/

Logan Wilson likes this.
  3. Fordcragar

What area do you live in, there might be some other places too.

Logan Wilson likes this.
  4. DONOTBUGME

DONOTBUGME Auburn, WA Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

They have strict rules like 1 round in mags for shooting rifles because of the neighborhood surrounding it. That turned me off, just kick the people who break the rules out or make it completely private so you dont have those types. I shot at the Tacoma club, it was nice and allowed you load your mags and told you not to rapid fire or you will be booted, so treating me as an adult. Only 45 mins from renton roughly.

Logan Wilson likes this.
  5. Logan Wilson

@Fordcragar I am in West Seattle. I generally go to champion arms in kent, but i really need some range to sight in a new scope.

@DONOTBUGME that is what i was worried about, sounds not so fun.

6. Logan Wilson

I have been checking out the website, it was the google reviews that made me start to wonder and DONOTBUGME kinda confirmed some of the things i was seeing. Any other suggestions for the seattle area that has at least 100yard range?

7. Fordcragar

I shoot at West Coast Armory in Factoria, just off I-90 and I-405. You might checkout their website. Isn't there a range in Ravensdale? Or maybe that is the range that you were going to.

I missed your response with the 100 yard requirement. There might be something in Snohomish or north Seattle.

Logan Wilson likes this.
  8. Logan Wilson

I have not checked out Ravensdale yet, im looking that up now. I will be checking out West Coast Armory it looks like a really nice range, but it is only 25 yards. \

9. DONOTBUGME

DONOTBUGME Auburn, WA Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

Logan Wilson likes this.
  10. Logan Wilson

@DONOTBUGME- Thank you very much! That looks like exactly what im looking for!

11. Logan Wilson

@Fordcragar- i wouldnt mind going to the snohomish area, according to waguns.org's map alot of the pits along I90 are closed.

12. 2506

2506 Seattle Well-Known Member

Kenmore Shooting Range is probably your closest bet. They've got solid benches, much better than Renton.

Logan Wilson likes this.
  13. 2506

2506 Seattle Well-Known Member

Also, I believe if you join up, members get to use the 300 meter range.

Logan Wilson likes this.
  14. Logan Wilson

15. The_Dude

The_Dude Seattle New Member

I went to the Issaquah Sportsmen's Club last weekend and it was great. Really affordable range rates (plus really cheap ammo and targets), many different lanes to shoot (25m, 50m, 100m, 200m, etc). They also provide brass catchers, bench rests, benches, etc. It was lots of fun. About a 30 minute drive from Seattle.

We had dinner at XXX Root Beer afterward and it was good (but cash only).

Brutus57, Logan Wilson and DONOTBUGME like this.
  16. Fordcragar

That sounds interesting, I'll have to check that out. Their website looked interesting.

Logan Wilson likes this.
  17. Doc In UPlace

Doc In UPlace Tacoma-ish Well-Known Member

Renton Fish and Game did have a practical pistol range, but other than that it's a piece of crap.
    One day I was out there shooting my AR, and the range Nazi came out and told me I was shooting "across the range" which was actually the target adjacent to my lane/bench. There was no one within about 3 benches of me.

He told me to make my weapon safe, and I showed him that the safety was on, and he reached down and jerked my rifle out of my hands. Ejected the round and put the rifle back on the bench.

Never, never again. N-e-v-e-r.

Logan Wilson, Brutus57 and joeyk_ak like this.
  18. Doc In UPlace

Doc In UPlace Tacoma-ish Well-Known Member

Never. Again.

Logan Wilson and Brutus57 like this.
  19. joeyk_ak

joeyk_ak Winston Salem NC New Member

I used to live in Renton, quite close to that range. I went once with my Dad and never again. Absolute A-holes. I felt nervous when I was there, they were literally breathing down your neck. It was not fun, and they obviously don't want the business. I was shooting a bolt action 30-06, can't get any safer than that. I am not sure why anyone would go there.

I choose to go to Issaquah Sportsman Range. It is a great range, lots of freedom, but very well run, clear communication, and safe. Max 100yds. It can be very busy though on the rifle side, but not busy enough to drive me to Renton Fish and Game again!

Logan Wilson and Brutus57 like this.
  20. TarPinMag

TarPinMag Eastside New Member

My first and last time at the Renton Fish and Game range was September of 2012. The range master (PM me for specifics) was an bubblegum and the one-round-load rule was an irritation. I live in Renton and would recommend going to the Issaquah Sportsmen's Club instead: the range masters are reasonable and as long as I'm shooting slow fire everything is good.
    West Coast Armory in Bellevue is also a good place to shoot.