JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Sorry in advance if this is in the wrong forum.

I remodeled my brother in laws bath in his new old home, enlarged it, ran two new circuits and completely rewired it, reworked the lighting, added an exhaust fan, added a 2nd sink and a new tub shower, reworked all the plumbing so it would be easier later to re-pipe, 5 sheets of new dry wall and skim coated and texture the whole bath, installed a new tile floor and base, installed new vanity with vessel sinks and hooked up all the plumbing, installed the new light fixtures, installed new towel bars, new towel rings, 2 robe hooks.

Did this after hours and 2 week ends, about 60 hours. And I am beat.

He paid for materials and painted the bath.

He asked what he owes me and I said if he was happy with the work, then he owes me a new (or as new) Smith&Wesson 357 6" in stainless, if he is really happy then throw in a Lady Smith for his sister, and if he is not that happy then an SP101

Where should I tell him he can get a good deal on a Smith? I have never owned a revolver before and don't need one, but want one. A Ruger would be cool, but I want the Cadillac.

Which model smith do I want?

Am I being a jerk, should I just say it was a labor of love for a dear family member and no payment is expected or wanted?

thoughts.

I think you are being TOO generous. That much work and labor would fetch $2500-3000 from even the smallest contractor/handyman (My rate was $40/hour for my small remodeling company and I was considered the best value in town). $40x60 hours is $2400. If the work is good, the 6" Smith and the LadySmith is about 1/2 of what any company would charge. For family, I think 1/2 of "retail" is fair and square. Especially in-laws. :)

I would say it would be a labor of love for him because he's family.

You could tell him that no payment is expected, BUT just maybe he could spring for the revolver for you, OR he could give you the money for it so that you could go get what you wanted.

with the name gunnails you are either a contractor or sub......I am also------whether it be for friend, or especially family I always tell them upfront what my labor will cost them. If I want to do it for free I do it, but you sir have opened a can of worms......GOOD LUCK

with the name gunnails you are either a contractor or sub......I am also------whether it be for friend, or especially family I always tell them upfront what my labor will cost them. If I want to do it for free I do it, but you sir have opened a can of worms......GOOD LUCK

Boom! Nail on head! :s0155:

Actual dollars with an agreement to same is always best good luck.
A contractor generally has a ... contract. just so you know at least one thing

Families are different, contract or other bs not needed...he asked what he owes you.

If he doesnt get them for you, over the holidays when your over visiting, take a claw hammer with you to the can..:s0114:

LOL. Thanks for all the replies.

He told me going in that he wanted to pay my rate, and that he would work with me side by side and that he wanted to learn about electrical and plumbing and that he had experience in dry wall and painting. I told him no worries, I would give him a good deal we would make it happen.

And I intended to do it all for free, labor wise, after all he is a good man, my wife's brother, and the father of my niece. And as a good proud man he wants to pay me, as I would in his shoes. I expected no payment and if I never see a dime, I will be good.

The thing is, he didn't help me at all, He was painting his living room for 3 days and his dining room for 2 days while I suffered through a marathon late night and week ends nasty tear out crawling in the attic and nasty crawl space, sanding all the dry wall, while he was clean and pretty painting. I did his bath in 9 days, that's showing up and performing. I am a contractor I usually sub out most my work , but I got skills, he now has a bath that went from 1953 (all original) to awesome. Safe, up to new code, and crisp.

So if he wants to insist on paying me, I want a S&W 357, with a 6" barrel, in stainless if he is happy with my work, if he is really happy he can throw in a Lady Smith for his sister who also helped him move, load and unpack baby sat and helped him finish painting.

LOL, all that said, I am feeling a bit guilty now, maybe I should stand my ground and refuse payment. I mean if he would of chipped in instead of mowing the 1 acre lawn 3 times in the last week on his new lawn tractor....

What would be a good S&W revolver, I'm thinking the 686,,, Thoughts.

Isn't this technically a straw purchase? I know that's not the intention, but now that it's been stated on the Internets...

I'm thinking "You don't owe me anything. Oh, have I told you what I'd love for Christmas?" :s0155:

Yea a 686, that's the ticket,,,,,it's not a straw purchase as I am legally able to own a gun. It's like buying a gun for your brothers birthday or for your wife.

As a business owner myself, you are being overly generous ( as others have stated). With that said, I have made it a point NEVER to do business for friends or family as it creates these kinds of "uncomfortable" situations. My advice, tell him to buy you a nice bottle of single malt scotch or whatever your favorite drink is and call it a day. When you need help with your next project, have him give you a hand.
a good friend is much more valuable than any firearm.....just sayin.

Did you ever mention to the brother in law that you could use some help? If you didn't tell him he may have thought you had it covered and concentrated on his own projects. If the terms arent spelled out in the beginning it can be hard to come out with everybody happy.

SCOTUS has just agreed to hear a straw purchase case that was between two non-prohibited people who both passed background checks. See "Abramski".

Now, in this case money changed hands. But, do you trust these jokers not to twist the work you did into the "payment" that makes this NOT a gift?

Anyway, food for thought.

,,,,,it's not a straw purchase as I am legally able to own a gun. It's like buying a gun for your brothers birthday or for your wife.

Seems this was a conversation you should have had upfront and clearly with your Bil. No doubt all those extra hours you were bustin your hump doing his remodel you were thinking about the payoff and he was thinking how much he was saving.
I'd give him a detailed bill and a print out of what your 686 goes retail with a note "I am happy with whatever remittance you think squares for my work.

Brutus out

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top