JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Go to a local gunshop, find a couple guns you want, tell him where it is and/or what it costs. I would want to pay for the work, even if it was family. Give him some options so he can decide what he wants to pay.

It can go both ways. Over the last 25 years, I have done tons of work for my bro in law. He has done tons for me. Money is never exchanged for labor. Materials only. He and my nephew roofed my house. I have landscaped and worked on several flips he did, and transported materials for him with my trucking business. We do not keep score or expect payment from each other.

Just helping each other and our families get through this crazy world is enough. And he would probably leave his town home and come out here in SHTF, and be welcome with his skill sets.

Based upon value, the revolver would be a simple nice gesture on his part for a very good value received. My bro in law gave me 40 pounds of chicken two days ago, just because. I give him all the vegetables he can eat or process.

If a gun, or anything (within a general price range), was discussed before the work was done, then I'd say neither one of you can second-guess what happens now. Family or not.

Suddenly mention now that you've been "thinking about a gun," maybe he's thinking Ruger 10/22 on sale, while a used 686 in half-decent condition is worth quite a bit more.

Specify nothing in advance? Accept what's offered with a shrug and a smile. Family or not.

Well the BIL came through a week back and gave me $750 which I used on Gunbroker.com for this 85c7ab47-f9c4-41dc-9164-88882f8ff79b_zps9697d775.jpg .

Cost $719 plus delivery and BGC for a final price of $774, which was a scary high price for me, but I figured what the hey..

686-6+ in 6", and 6 is my new favorite number
85c7ab47-f9c4-41dc-9164-88882f8ff79b_zps9697d775.jpg

Any advice for a first time 357mag owner, I heard if you smooth the right edge of the cylinder stop it will greatly reduce the drag lines on the cylinder, which my gun came with from the factory I guess?

85c7ab47-f9c4-41dc-9164-88882f8ff79b_zps9697d775.jpg

I think you are being TOO generous. That much work and labor would fetch $2500-3000 from even the smallest contractor/handyman (My rate was $40/hour for my small remodeling company and I was considered the best value in town). $40x60 hours is $2400. If the work is good, the 6" Smith and the LadySmith is about 1/2 of what any company would charge. For family, I think 1/2 of "retail" is fair and square. Especially in-laws. :)

Former tile contractor here.. ditto

Former tile contractor here.. ditto

=========================================================

I think I did him right, I know what I would have to charge if he wasn't by brother, and it is a $7000/$8000 bath remodel including materials, he paid expenses and I got a 686. I would of done it all for free and been fine with it, but like I say he is a proud man as am I and I get that he wants to give back. Win Win for all.

How cool is that!

=========================================================

I think I did him right, I know what I would have to charge if he wasn't by brother, and it is a $7000/$8000 bath remodel including materials, he paid expenses and I got a 686. I would of done it all for free and been fine with it, but like I say he is a proud man as am I and I get that he wants to give back. Win Win for all.

How cool is that!

Your time is yours and you know best how to value your relationship with your relatives.. and yes your work could go that high. Thank God I have the skills I do because we are about to build a custom ICF home, saving $$$$$$$

.Any advice for a first time 357mag owner, I heard if you smooth the right edge of the cylinder stop it will greatly reduce the drag lines on the cylinder, which my gun came with from the factory I guess?
Yea, leave the tile saw in the van. lol. I've never heard of such a thing though I'm not a revolver smith. I have worn out a couple 686's though and left such things to my armorer.
Don't worry about any "drag-lines" and shoot the crap out of it.

It's good to have an honorable man for a BIL! I was extraordinarily fortunate in mine! One joined the Marines as a private and worked his was up to Lt. Colonel with a masters degree from Michigan. The other has a physical handicap that kept him out of the armed forces. They are both excellent people, honest, decent, senses of humor, good friends!
It's good that the OP and his BIL are happy with the outcome! I have seen similar endeavors turn into a real can of poo! Good job guys!

Last year I had a bad leak at the tub facet which started a total strip to the studs, level the warped floor etc new tub and all fixtures. I did it my self and it came out good. I would have been happy to trade a gun for the labor.

Making too big of a deal out of this, you 2 discussed it, if/when he asks what he owes you, tell him. Well, i think Xtype pistol would do just fine" done deal. No hard feelings, everyone's happy, end of story.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top