JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think we're talking about different things.
You seem to be describing built ar15's.
I'm talking about bought.

I know what you were talking about. Do I need to take a pic of my .308 AR lower? I bought the rifle complete and it says multi-caliber. It depends on the company. Easier to just say multi-caliber since people do change uppers.

Ok, just got off the phone with Remington support. The guy I talked with was very knowledgeable about the .223/5.56 capabilities. he was adamant that the R-15 barrel is designed to shoot only.223 Remington ammunition. That gun uses a match barrel, and .223 provides the greatest accuracy. He also stated that I could take that barrel to a gunsmith and have it reamed to accept 5.56, which I will inquire about.

Ok, just got off the phone with Remington support. The guy I talked with was very knowledgeable about the .223/5.56 capabilities. he was adamant that the R-15 barrel is designed to shoot only.223 Remington ammunition. That gun uses a match barrel, and .223 provides the greatest accuracy. He also stated that I could take that barrel to a gunsmith and have it reamed to accept 5.56, which I will inquire about.

What! An AR-15 that can't shoot 5.56?

That makes about as much sense as poking holes in the top of your head to let the air in!

He also stated that I could take that barrel to a gunsmith and have it reamed to accept 5.56, which I will inquire about.
it will accept it now, the chamber leade allows for the greater pressure of 556 to dissipate before the bullet reaches the rifling sealing the bore.
if you shoot 556 in a true 223 Rem chamber you can get pressure spikes as the leade is shorter on the 223 Rem chamber
the 223 Rem is no more accurate than the 556 NATO round, its the 223 rem chamber that allows more accuracy because there is less jump for the bullet before it reaches the lands

it will accept it now, the chamber leade allows for the greater pressure of 556 to dissipate before the bullet reaches the rifling sealing the bore.
if you shoot 556 in a true 223 Rem chamber you can get pressure spikes as the leade is shorter on the 223 Rem chamber
the 223 Rem is no more accurate than the 556 NATO round, its the 223 rem chamber that allows more accuracy because there is less jump for the bullet before it reaches the lands
The issue is that his AR has a .223 chamber. It CAN shoot 5.56, but not recommended.

I know what you were talking about. Do I need to take a pic of my .308 AR lower? I bought the rifle complete and it says multi-caliber. It depends on the company. Easier to just say multi-caliber since people do change uppers.
I'm aware. My AR was purchased complete. It says multi on the receiver and had a 5.56 barrel.
I have yet to see anything stamped multi with a .223 barrel.

I'm aware. My AR was purchased complete. It says multi on the receiver and had a 5.56 barrel.
I have yet to see anything stamped multi with a .223 barrel.

7.62 NATO barrel, multi chamber marked receiver. Rarely the company makes one for a different round. Apples to oranges in a way, but its an AR platform. Just because YOU never saw it doesn't mean it never happened. The OP already said he called Remington and they said to use .223 only, therefore .223 chamber. Regardless of what the receiver says.

image.jpg

image.jpg

The Remington rep explained that the receiver is stamped "Multi" because multiple caliber uppers and barrels can be used on this gun. The Barrel is Stamped .223 Rem.

Ok, as I said before, there was a DPMS Sweet 16 (It's .223 & 5.56) that I was also looking at, so I said "up yours Obama!" and bought em both! Now a few questions, Should I ream the .223 to accept 5.56? will that be detrimental to the guns accuracy? ball park cost to ream a .223 barrel? seems like all the gun shops I want to call are closed on Mondays

7.62 NATO barrel, multi chamber marked receiver. Rarely the company makes one for a different round. Apples to oranges in a way, but its an AR platform. Just because YOU never saw it doesn't mean it never happened. The OP already said he called Remington and they said to use .223 only, therefore .223 chamber. Regardless of what the receiver says.

View attachment 269403
Well, I've been looking into this.
So as much as I hate to say I'm wrong it looks like that is the case here.
Damn.
I had a really good streak going too.

Ok, as I said before, there was a DPMS Sweet 16 (It's .223 & 5.56) that I was also looking at, so I said "up yours Obama!" and bought em both! Now a few questions, Should I ream the .223 to accept 5.56? will that be detrimental to the guns accuracy? ball park cost to ream a .223 barrel? seems like all the gun shops I want to call are closed on Mondays
well, what do you want to do with your firearms ?
good opinions are out there but it depends what you expect and what you want to do with it. There are good reasons to go 223 and good reasons for 556
just as important is the twist, haven't heard anything about the twist ratio yet

bench shooting for groups
long range 300+
plinking here and there
defensive
SHTF
gun games/competition
hunting

if it were mine and I had to have 556, I would re barrel it

The only reason to go with a 5.56 chamber, or .223 wylde chamber, is if you plan to shoot 5.56. Or if you just like the option of both.

As for reaming, if it costs over $100 I'd just save up for a quality barrel with a 5.56 or .223 wylde chamber. The chamber can play a role in precision, but I doubt its significant enough unless you're trying for minute of a gnat's rear end. Could be wrong though, hard to tell if the chamber really does play a role.

Twist rate can open up a can of worms, not getting involved in that beyond 1/7, 1/8, and 1/9 are good to go for general purposes or just plinking. YMMV

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top