JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking at purchasing a new Remington R-15 VTR 22" barrel Semi-auto. The Box is marked .223 but the receiver is stamped "Multi". Can I shoot both .223 and 5.56 in this gun? I would prefer to buy a gun that is capable of safely firing both calibers. The Remington website lists .223 as it's caliber, but I have had some well versed gun sellers say that 5.56 can also be used in this gun. The gun is selling for what I think is a good deal at $699. There is also a DPMS "Sweet 16" AR-15 for $819. It is clearly stamped .223 & 5.56. If I knew the R-15 could shoot both I would buy it as I already own a matching camo Nikon Predator 4x12 scope, and it's $100 cheaper. I wish the manufacturer's websites would clearer as to what their products are capable of shooting. The DPMS website also only lists .223 as it's ammo for most of their hunting/target guns, but when you look at the firearms they are stamped for both, frustrating!

It doesn't matter what the box or receiver says, what does the barrel say?
I think all (?) Mini-14's were/are stamped .223 but were/are designed to also shoot 5.56.
I think that whole folderall is just lame anyway.
OP, if you're really worried about it, contact the manufacturer.

Opinion only, if it says 223, then it's probably only 223. I have DPMS Predator and it's 223 only and I don't shoot anything else in it. There is really a very small difference in the throat and if you chamber ream a 223 with a 5.56 reamer the amount of shavings are very small but the truth is that the 223 is tighter, so if you shoot 5.56 in a 223 you will probably get away with it until you run into the one odd load. I would recommend you call Remington and don't accept any wishy washy answers. Good luck with whatever you choose.

As others have said check with the manufacturer. The box is rarely accurate.
When I bought my Sig P226 Combat the box said Sig P226R. These are two very different guns and they require different holsters.
If your receiver says multi then it'll be chambered to accept 5.56 and .223

As others have said check with the manufacturer. The box is rarely accurate.
When I bought my Sig P226 Combat the box said Sig P226R. These are two very different guns and they require different holsters.
If your receiver says multi then it'll be chambered to accept 5.56 and .223

What the barrel/chamber is > what the receiver says. If the receiver says multi-caliber but the barrel/chamber is for .223, only .223 should be used.

What the barrel/chamber is > what the receiver says. If the receiver says multi-caliber but the barrel/chamber is for .223, only .223 should be used.
Is it normal for them to be different? Why would a manufacturer say multi and then chamber it for something else?
It seems that would be like buying a pistol that says 9mm and it shoots .40

Is it normal for them to be different? Why would a manufacturer say multi and then chamber it for something else?
It seems that would be like buying a pistol that says 9mm and it shoots .40

Probably because the AR lower is truly multi-caliber? You can essentially swap out the bolt and barrel to use 6.8 SPC, or just change the barrel to use .300 blackout. Is it normal? I've seen more .223 wylde and 5.56 chambers than .223, but there are still .223 chambers.

It really is an interesting question. Can anyone name a ".223" made in the last century.. I mean decade, that can't safely fire 5.56?

Aside from the ARs with a .223 chamber? You can shoot 5.56 through a .223 chamber, but its not something one should do. .223 wylde is good to go with 5.56 and .223 for the most part. Ruger says only .223 in their target rifles, a good hint that the other mini-14 chambers aren't a .223 chamber.

Last Edited:
Probably because the AR lower is truly multi-caliber? You can essentially swap out the bolt and barrel to use 6.8 SPC, or just change the barrel to use .300 blackout. Is it normal? I've seen more .223 wylde and 5.56 chambers than .223, but there are still .223 chambers.

Aside from the ARs with a .223 chamber? You can shoot 5.56 through a .223 chamber, but its not something one should do. .223 wylde is good to go with 5.56 and .223 for the most part. Ruger says only .223 in their target rifles, a good hint that the other mini-14 chambers aren't a .223 chamber.
Could you cite your source?

you see then that it's not a question of ammo but chamber dimensions.
I have posted at length on this topic on other forums, I should have saved it as a file for future posting but trying to correct an internet myth is fruitless so I no longer concern mysellf

It really is an interesting question. Can anyone name a ".223" made in the last century.. I mean decade, that can't safely fire 5.56?SAFELY AND REPEATEDLY
Bold my addition..

Early non Ranch variant of the Mini-14.

.223 stamp meant .223 ONLY
22 CAL stamp meant .223/5.56

View attachment 269178Can I shoot 5.56 NATO ammunition in my Mini-14 or Ranch Rifle?View attachment 269179View attachment 269180
With the exception of the Mini-14 Target Rifle, which accepts only .223 Rem. ammunition, .223 Rem. and 5.56 NATO can be used in all Mini-14 rifles and Ranch Rifles.
Please note that "Military Surplus" 5.56mm NATO can vary greatly in its quality and consistency.

First question under "rifles"

http://ruger.com/service/FAQs.html#Q132

5.56 can't be used in all Mini-14's ;)

1268544_02_ruger_222_mini_14_ranch_rifle__640.jpg

View attachment 269187
Not a pic of a Mini-14, pic is of a Mini-Ranch-222 chambering:p

In any case it did not contribute to the conversation.

I do Know you can't go with the receiver markings.
I shot 5.56 in my Colt AR-15 .223 sporter. And I believe the barrel was marked 5.56.
I thought at the time this was for political reasons?

Mine was marked like this one.
Cal. .223 :s0092:

markings.jpg

I think we're talking about different things.
You seem to be describing built ar15's.
I'm talking about bought.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews