JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Kev, it seems you are set on new. With that, I'd go with datguy, and suggest the big press kit from RCBS. The "partner" is aluminum frame, light duty press (I have one that I use for portable "at the range" bullet seating processes only). It would probably serve quite some time with regular use, but not a lifetime (or three or four or ten lifetimes) flawlessly like the cast-iron frame Rockchucker. I will say once again that used heavy-duty presses can be found very cheap (compared to new). I am still using almost daily an old "A2" (that some guys would kill for) that I bought used 30 years ago. You're in this for the long-haul, so go with the tank.

I've been doing three calibers for four months now, and what Spitpatch says is dead on. The help here on NWFA is FANTASTIC! Numbers 6-7-and 8 just came about naturally for me, but it's so true. Turn on the music quietly, and DON'T bother me for an hour!. Another loader said to me that you need some natural mechanical abilities, if you can't figure out how to change a tire on your car, or, replace a power cord on your dryer, perhaps reloading is not for you is also true. Knowing what I know now, I would have started with something like this http://www.northwestfirearms.com/am...e-press-lee-auto-prime-frankford-tumbler.html and bought a new 5-0-5 scale and calipers (Harbor Freight has worked well). Of course new, shiney in the box is neat.

I don't need the trickler, lube or lube pad for what I do, if you start with used, give me a buzz and I'll make you a deal you can't refuse.

Good luck!

Mike

I've been doing three calibers for four months now, and what Spitpatch says is dead on. The help here on NWFA is FANTASTIC! Numbers 6-7-and 8 just came about naturally for me, but it's so true. Turn on the music quietly, and DON'T bother me for an hour!. Another loader said to me that you need some natural mechanical abilities, if you can't figure out how to change a tire on your car, or, replace a power cord on your dryer, perhaps reloading is not for you is also true. Knowing what I know now, I would have started with something like this http://www.northwestfirearms.com/am...e-press-lee-auto-prime-frankford-tumbler.html and bought a new 5-0-5 scale and calipers (Harbor Freight has worked well). Of course new, shiney in the box is neat.

I don't need the trickler, lube or lube pad for what I do, if you start with used, give me a buzz and I'll make you a deal you can't refuse.

Good luck!

Mike

Many years ago I bought a Progressive Shotshell Loader (a Pacific 366). Right there in the beginning of the instructions they said to GO SLOW, perfoming ONE step at a time. When all steps were properly accomplished, repeat. "Do not try to go fast!" "Speed will come with repetition".

All were great messages for me and delivered at a great time, near the beginning of my reloading "career".

Once one repeats the same process enough times it becomes very natural. It also becomes enough of a habit that the brain sends an alarm message when something is overlooked.

I noticed a couple of different tables with reloading equipment at the gun show. One had quite a few presses as well as other equipment.

elsie

Well...there was one table there with some really ugly, rusty, old presses. He was wanting what seemed like a lot of money for them. Maybe they were something special?

There were a couple of table with DIES, a lot of them! I'm not in need at the time so I don't know what they had. I saw some pretty spendy( once?) fired brass, but managed to snag a K of .45 for $50.00 from johnH from the board, all polished nicely.

Ariel Shooting Supply, at the show, has been a good place to buy bullets in smaller quantity at a decent price. Once you find one (bullet) you like then go on line or cruze the classified here to buy a K or more.

Mike
Edit: Geezus, I've been doing this for less than four months....It's a sickness man!

Well...there was one table there with some really ugly, rusty, old presses. He was wanting what seemed like a lot of money for them. Maybe they were something special?

Edit: Geezus, I've been doing this for less than four months....It's a sickness man!

Probably read on this forum that good equipment held it's value but hasn't taken into consideration the appearance. What's sad is eventually someone will buy it at those prices. Before shopping at used outlets one should have a list in their head that has the New prices on it. When looking at an old crusty, rusty, press just figure out how much work and how many parts you'll have to put into it versus buying new. If it's merely a case of some fine steel wool and oil to remove the rust and you'll have a workable press, fine. If there's so much rust that, by the time it's removed, you'll have to replace the part anyway, then consider new.

As for dies, most times one is better off buying a new set of Lee dies rather than some of the rusty, filthy dies that are offered at the shows. At least the Lee's are not worn out, filled with scratches, and rusty. Of course there are always exceptions.

As for your 4 month old sickness, guess what? It gets worse.

There were a couple of table with DIES, a lot of them! I'm not in need at the time so I don't know what they had. I saw some pretty spendy( once?) fired brass, but managed to snag a K of .45 for $50.00 from johnH from the board, all polished nicely.

Ariel Shooting Supply, at the show, has been a good place to buy bullets in smaller quantity at a decent price. Once you find one (bullet) you like then go on line or cruze the classified here to buy a K or more.

Mike

Well, I was trying to not make judgements. B-) I didn't really look all that close as the only press I would need right now would be a progressive and I'm not sure I'm ready to take the plunge on that yet. I did try to find a shellholder I needed but they were all tossed into one box and half of them weren't numbered or marked that I could tell. So I guess it's off to BiMart for that.

elsie

Well, I was trying to not make judgements. B-) I didn't really look all that close as the only press I would need right now would be a progressive and I'm not sure I'm ready to take the plunge on that yet. I did try to find a shellholder I needed but they were all tossed into one box and half of them weren't numbered or marked that I could tell. So I guess it's off to BiMart for that.

elsie

Don't you hate that? If you'd taken empty shells in the size holder you were looking for.....

I saw a price on one of those crusty presses of $89.00 I think. I believe you can buy a NEW RCBS in the $129.00 range, or less. If I needed to completely disasemble, scrub, replace parts and so on, I wouldn't pay more than about $20.00-$30.00 for it.

Mike

If I needed to completely disasemble, scrub, replace parts and so on, I wouldn't pay more than about $20.00-$30.00 for it.

Mike

Or you could do like "Bubba". Just take it home, squirt some penetrating oil all over it, bolt it to the garage workbench (after pushing all the old car parts out of the way) and just use it "As Is".

I actually saw a setup like that. Most of his finished ammo looked like it had been sitting in the bottom of a fishing tackle box for a couple of years and that was right after he loaded it :):);)

Kev, it seems you are set on new. With that, I'd go with datguy, and suggest the big press kit from RCBS. The "partner" is aluminum frame, light duty press (I have one that I use for portable "at the range" bullet seating processes only). It would probably serve quite some time with regular use, but not a lifetime (or three or four or ten lifetimes) flawlessly like the cast-iron frame Rockchucker. I will say once again that used heavy-duty presses can be found very cheap (compared to new). I am still using almost daily an old "A2" (that some guys would kill for) that I bought used 30 years ago. You're in this for the long-haul, so go with the tank.

I have a 'borrowed' A-2, and I believe I can load tank rounds with it. LOL I do love it for some stuff. I also have a Lee Loadmaster and Love it for production runs, especially .45ACP and .223. I am just now starting to load 30-06, cast - lite loads and using a Lee single stage for working up the loads. Just got into this about a year ago and having a great time.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top