JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Maybe I'm missing something here but if the decaping rod minus the pin is already in the case why can't you tappy tap it to get the case out? I've heard that sticking the die in a freezer will make the brass shrink more than the steel so that's something to try as well.

Maybe, it was ME? I missed something?

Is the problem with a stuck case?
Or an expanding stem that is keeping the brass stuck in the die?
Or is it just that the OP doesn't know how to safely expend the live primer (no bullets involved here)?

Aloha, Mark

Maybe I'm missing something here but if the decaping rod minus the pin is already in the case why can't you tappy tap it to get the case out? I've heard that sticking the die in a freezer will make the brass shrink more than the steel so that's something to try as well.
I tried putting the die upside down and pushing it up with no luck. I'll try the freezer

Maybe, it was ME? I missed something?

Is the problem with a stuck case?
Or an expanding stem that is keeping the brass stuck in the die?
Or is it just that the OP doesn't know how to safely expend the live primer (no bullets involved here)?

Aloha, Mark
It's the case is stuck in the die. The expander ball is inside the case as I unscrewed it from the expander rod.

If the expander ball is just "rolling around in there" (in the brass cartridge case) just leave it for now.

Proceed with the stuck case removal procedure.

Aloha, Mark

If you pop the primer, with the expander ball still inside the case, it may just expel the case from the die.
Just make sure your life insurance premium has been paid.
You can't expand the primer because there is no expander pin at the end of the expander ball

Unless it's a crazy custom caliber, and it's just not coming out, make it a wall trophy and order up a new sizing die. Wall trophies are reminders for us in the future. I have a number of them in other formats.......

Such as:
  • 6" 7 tooth shell mill missing half the insert pockets from a 7lbs block of 7000 series aluminum getting sucked out of the jaws in my CNC mill,
  • Left front FJ Cruiser fender mangled from sliding into a tree I knew I would hit but did it anyway, (in my office)
  • Pinion head seared off at 12,000' elevation in CO that I had to swap out.
  • Bent inner Tie Rod I toasted in 3 positions also in CO different trip.
  • list goes on.

Last Edited:
Unless it's a crazy custom caliber, and it's just not coming out, make it a wall trophy and order up a new sizing die. Wall trophies are reminders for us in the future. I have a number of them in other formats.......

Such as:
  • 6" 7 tooth shell mill missing half the insert pockets from a 7lbs block of 7000 series aluminum getting sucked out of the jaws in my CNC mill,
  • Left front FJ Cruiser fender mangled from sliding into a tree I knew I would hit but did it anyway, (in my office)
  • Pinion head seared off at 12,000' elevation in CO that I had to swap out.
  • Bent inner Tie Rod I toasted in 3 positions also in CO different trip.
  • list goes on.
Ya I am almost there

Wow that is a good one. Do not assume a primer becomes inert soaked in oil. :eek: If it was me I would send the die to RCBS.;)
Assuming it came from big green. They love a challenge.:D

Soak it with WD40 overnight which will also help in the removal of the case.
Then get pliers and keep the die screwed into the press and start working the case out. Be sure to wear face & throat protection and gloves etc in case the primer still pops.
OR... Say eff it and buy a new die.

ive done this before. i set the primer off, drilled out the primer, tapped threads, ran a bolt in with some washers as spacers and it came right out. no messin around.

How did you set the primer off?
a bench vise holding the die, hammer and pliers holding a nail to hit primer. if nothing is obstructing the neck of the brass or end of the die to allow gas to vent id do it again. if i had any doubts id drill a small hole in the side of the exposed brass and point it away from me while its in the vise and set it off.

you say its just primed brass and no gunpowder or propellant? if thats true, i would be 100% comfortable doing it.

I recently had my first range session with an inline muzzleloader that uses shotgun primers. Before I shot it for real, I fired a primer off (no powder, no bullet). I could barely hear it pop through my hearing protection. I'm guessing a shotgun primer is beefier than what's in your case. Anyway, I'm not suggesting you do it, but I'm with @v0lcom13sn0w. I would pop it.

Also, future darwin award winners but it does show primers being used in cap guns:

This might be more like what you'd get:

I recently had my first range session with an inline muzzleloader that uses shotgun primers. Before I shot it for real, I fired a primer off (no powder, no bullet). I could barely hear it pop through my hearing protection. I'm guessing a shotgun primer is beefier than what's in your case. Anyway, I'm not suggesting you do it, but I'm with @v0lcom13sn0w. I would pop it.

Also, future darwin award winners but it does show primers being used in cap guns:

This might be more like what you'd get:
yes notice i chose my wording carefully :D:s0155:

Spray Kroil down into the case and around the case so it soaks in between the case and die and let it soak overnight.

Remove the bent/broken pieces of brass from the head so it's fairly flat and rotate it to where you can get a bite on it with the shell holder, then pull the case out. If this doesn't work, you may have to use a punch or send it in to RCBS if it's an RCBS die.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews