JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My son is reloading some .223 and we have run into a problem. He has some cases (range pick up from shooting with his friends) that have the primer crimped in with three dents LO3 IM 223 BR rather then a Lake City type full circle crimp.

The problem comes when it turns out the case has a much smaller volume. He is loading 25.6gr of IMR 4895 and with these cases the powder comes to within about 4 mil of the top of the case. Which would obviously cause a compressed powder load. He is using Hornady V-Max 63gr slugs #22265

Anyone else run into this problem. its no big deal sorting them out though it sure would have been nice to have found out prior to putting primers in the cases.

Anyone have a suggestion as to load data for these substandard cases?

Military case sometimes have less internal volume due to the thickness of the brass. While commercial cases usually have a greater capacity. BUT THEN SOMETIMES......that "rule" doesn't apply.

Whatever. Experiment : try pouring water in to various cases and measuring the amount of water.

Nah......

1669498543777.png

Suggestion : Maybe, you might want to separate the cases by headstamps before loading. Also, switching to a "ball powder" may help.

Aloha, Mark

Separate by headstamp. Then work up a load for the different headstamps based on volume differences.

Or just load them all up the same using the minimum load recommendation.

The problem comes when it turns out the case has a much smaller volume. He is loading 25.6gr of IMR 4895 and with these cases the powder comes to within about 4 mil of the top of the case. Which would obviously cause a compressed powder load. He is using Hornady V-Max 63gr slugs #22265

Anyone have a suggestion as to load data for these substandard cases?
Was going to mention that the max for 63gr pills in all of my info is 25.3gr of 4895 but ........

My question is are you sure those are 63 and not 53gr bullets? https://www.hornady.com/bullets/rifle/22-cal-224-53-gr-v-max

Just do as stated above and tap those cases a lil to settle the powder that load shouldnt be an issue as it is below max, @26.4 being max for the 53gr bullets. I have to do this using 4064 stick powder in 243 casses.

Last Edited:
This is unknown territory. If it is not that many cases, or if an even number 20/40/50 etc., separate them and work up a load. "I" would begin at starting loads and work up from there. Otherwise crimp them and toss into the scrap bin. You might save someone else an overpressure problem.

All the above info is good stuff, but if you are going for any serious accuracy, you really should separate by head stamp, or at least by manufacturer, and whether it's 5.56mm or .223cal.
I've been doing 223/556 for a long time. I've found little to no real results doing this. Uniform brass prep has always been the key in my experiences.

4032F285-709C-4A7E-B4D2-347A0CAC76F2.jpeg

There is differences in base thickness of 223 brass. Usually the concern is thinner because primer pockets are likely to stretch. Might try checking the base thickness of the different head stamp cases. Use a wire or rod you can insert in the case mouth and see what the depth is from the top of base to case mouth.

I always separate by head stamp for bottle necked cases and track # of firings. I also have all but eliminated any crimped brass in 223. I typically run the same charges between commercial and what is left of my military brass. I don't notice any significant difference in powder fill between the types of cases.

Was going to mention that the max for 63gr pills in all of my info is 25.3gr of 4895 but ........

My question is are you sure those are 63 and not 53gr bullets? https://www.hornady.com/bullets/rifle/22-cal-224-53-gr-v-max

Just do as stated above and tap those cases a lil to settle the powder that load shouldnt be an issue as it is below max, @26.4 being max for the 53gr bullets. I have to do this using 4064 stick powder in 243 casses.
Well spotted after cussing a bunch my attention to detail was off. They are in fact 53 grain. #22265

We ended up with only 5 cases that had this issue so they are happy to mingle with their other POS brothern in the recycle can. Thanks guys we have it figured out.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top