JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The internet suggestions here are not to be ignored, and I do find myself consulting it on more than rare occasion. Printing good finds and adding to a folder of printed material is also a great method. However: for a "from the ground up" loading project (new caliber, new gun, or such), I will dig out each applicable loading manual, open them to the comparable page, and stack them (open to that page) on a nearby table or stool for quick comparison back and forth, in order to facilitate cross-referencing toward a place to start, and continued cross-reference during that project. I find this more amenable to the comparison strategy than what I could accomplish on computer screen pages.

Also, do not deprive yourself of reading the narrative portions of any new manual purchased. Basic procedures are there of course, but more importantly great "tidbits" of information about the loading process/ballistics, pressures, etc. can be gleaned from these pages.

And, for the advanced handloader, an indispensable reference is Ken Waters' Pet Loads. This gentleman crammed more reloading experience into his lifetime than anyone can imagine. I have never found his recommendations and techniques to be very far off the mark, and his work has saved me countless hours of my own.

I agree with Spitpatch's approach for new loads but something I continually see overlooked is the topic of "Software". There are several software programs available for handloaders to use for analyzing Internal Ballistic's without having to consult often contradicting information.

I ran across a program that as some of the younger generation would describe as "scary accurate". It's called simply "Load from a Disc" Load From A Disk Ballistics Software

I bought a copy a year or two ago for a project I was undertaking and found it to be extremely accurate. The data it produced when I entered all the parameters for a load, including the barrel length of the rifle to be used, yielded almost exactly the same readings on the chronograph when tested.

Other than some similar software programs it only recommends the appropriate powders for a given cartridge. It also is for rifle cartridges only, in the words of the author, handgun cartridges are too small to accurately predict performance.

Unlike relying on published data that was developed using cases stated by "Name", not volume, this software asks for the capacity of the case in grains of water it can contain. Because it can use data obtained from a case that was fireformed in YOUR rifle it's already using more accurate data than that available from a book, any book. This software helps estimate the one thing that's most important in loading an unfamiliar cartridge for the first time, the pressure.

This particular software is fairly inexpensive, I paid $65 for my copy, but there are others for more money available. A real popular program is QuickLoad but I found that it was far more complex than my needs required.

If anyone's interested there's a "Demo" available for download. It's restricted to 30 caliber and only offers two bullet weights but it allows one to get a feel for the program. There are also a lot of tools available. The one I use the most is the correction tool for chronographs. You can enter the distance from the muzzle to the chronograph and it calculated true speeds. Great for those that have to put the "chrony" farther away due to huge muzzle blasts or lighting conditions.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top