JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
  1. A book on reloading. Might start with "The ABC's of Reloading".
  2. The willingness to study and learn.
  3. The discipline to follow directions.
  4. Common sense.
  5. A suitcasefull of cash.
#1will outline all the gear you need.

Time, Time to buy and read a couple books. Time to learn, time to understand the process. Time for a class. Basically what are you going to give up in your already full life so that you have the time to reload. You can look in the reloading classifieds here and see adds for complete reloading set-ups and the text will say something like "new, never set up, thought I'd get into reloading but never did". I'm not trying to discourage you, only being realistic. It takes way longer to make the ammo than it does to shoot it up.

Two completely different systems required for shotshell and metallic cartridges. I've never loaded shotgun shells, so can't offer any info there, but I've been loading rifle and pistol ammo for years. At the very bottom of the scale, cost and efficiency wise, would be the Lee kit mentioned by @arakboss. This will allow you to load one cartridge at a time, start to finish, but is glacially slow, if you could manage a box of shells an hour, you're probably going too fast.

Next up is my preference, a single stage press, you can buy kits that are pretty much complete less dies, that'll set you back $300-500 by the time you're ready to start making ammo.

From there, the sky's the limit, depending on just how deep you dive down that rabbit hole. Extra, specialized tools, progressive presses, it all adds up in a hurry. Of course, you also need a work space, free of drafts and distractions, and a sturdy bench. You also need to be organized, patient, and detail oriented, this is NOT a hobby to take up if you're always in a rush or have a short attention span. Having a high tolerance for tedium is also important, although it's extremely gratifying making and shooting your own ammunition, the process is anything but exciting. If the prospect of doing the same thing, the same way, 100 or more times in a row is daunting to you, stick to buying ammo, rather than making it. The advice on books above is also very good, as well as finding a mentor. And don't get into it just because you think you'll save money. Your per round cost MAY go down, but chances are you'll be shooting more.

So start with lots of reading and window shopping, lots of good vids on YouTube as well, and try to find a friend or relative that already hand loads. If you decide to proceed, I'm sure you'll get all kinds of advice on specific tools and techniques, just remember that whatever you decide, it has to work for YOU, not some guy on the Internet 🙄. Good luck!

Dave

All shotshell related:

For 12 gauge the question is how much will you be shooting? If you regularly shoot in one or more of the shotgun sports you're going to want a progressive. The mec 9000 is a popular option and has the benefit of having bushings and accessories readily available at places like sportsmans warehouse. Ponssess and Warren and Spolar are top of the line and if you see one for a decent price grab it. The mec 600 is also a great unit if you think you will only be loading a couple boxes here and there.
Hornady lists bushing by its inside diameter so its helpful to keep a bushing conversion chart and a set calipers to dial in your load.
Find a good club and join it, the folks there have tons of knowledge and are often happy to share it. Also some clubs sell reloading supplies and generally at a better cost than retail.
Last and probably the most important is that shotgun max pressure is 11,500 so pay particular attention to this when loading at the higher ends, every component has an effect on the pressure so follow recipes and don't mix and match components.
Oh and I almost forgot, use your scale. Most bushing charts are close but can be significantly off. When I load I check the first ten powder throws, then check the first ten loaded shells, if all is consistent then I randomly check shells (one every ten‐15) as I load, and finally I randomly check weights as box them up. I usually load about a flat at a time on a PW 800.

Now days with the net its amazingly easy. I learned back before Al invented the net. Bought Lee's book and a Lee Kit. Went to the store and bought what the book said and stared rolling. Now days you have everything you need at your fingertips.

Two completely different systems required for shotshell and metallic cartridges. I've never loaded shotgun shells, so can't offer any info there, but I've been loading rifle and pistol ammo for years. At the very bottom of the scale, cost and efficiency wise, would be the Lee kit mentioned by @arakboss. This will allow you to load one cartridge at a time, start to finish, but is glacially slow, if you could manage a box of shells an hour, you're probably going too fast.

Next up is my preference, a single stage press, you can buy kits that are pretty much complete less dies, that'll set you back $300-500 by the time you're ready to start making ammo.

From there, the sky's the limit, depending on just how deep you dive down that rabbit hole. Extra, specialized tools, progressive presses, it all adds up in a hurry. Of course, you also need a work space, free of drafts and distractions, and a sturdy bench. You also need to be organized, patient, and detail oriented, this is NOT a hobby to take up if you're always in a rush or have a short attention span. Having a high tolerance for tedium is also important, although it's extremely gratifying making and shooting your own ammunition, the process is anything but exciting. If the prospect of doing the same thing, the same way, 100 or more times in a row is daunting to you, stick to buying ammo, rather than making it. The advice on books above is also very good, as well as finding a mentor. And don't get into it just because you think you'll save money. Your per round cost MAY go down, but chances are you'll be shooting more.

So start with lots of reading and window shopping, lots of good vids on YouTube as well, and try to find a friend or relative that already hand loads. If you decide to proceed, I'm sure you'll get all kinds of advice on specific tools and techniques, just remember that whatever you decide, it has to work for YOU, not some guy on the Internet 🙄. Good luck!

Dave
thanks. I'm not too worried about monotony work long hours & don't get distracted easily

Most good reloading manuals have several chapters on reloading. Pick up s hormady or Speer reloading manual and don't just read it but try to understand the principles. You will be able to start answering some of your questions. Reloading is a straight forward process but if you stray it can exact a toll on your guns and body parts.

Absolute basics just to get started off.
As far as I know shotgun requires a completely different set-up/press.

You want the basic, first purchase, to get started loading your own ammo.

THIS > https://www.rcbs.com/rcbs-kits/rock-chucker-supreme-master-reloading-kit/16-9366.html is it.
There are other things you need to gather. But that kit covers the hard parts and will last you a lifetime with minimal care.

I only put that RCBS kit up because that's the way I started. It's not diving in the deep end head first. And it's much easier to get going with than just sticking your toe in the shallow end first.

For metallic cartridge reloading.
Checkout the selection of Lee Products. It's available in many calibers.

As for shotgun loading.
Well, even that can be done REALLY cheaply too.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....If you want something better for metallic cartridges. You might just checkout the local gun shows. I've even found bargain "kits" and single stage presses from major manufacturers.

What is need for reloading. Absolute basics just to get started off. I can always upgrade. For 12 gauge and 223
Minimum for shotgun is a loading manual (I recommend Lyman's Shotshell Book) and the Lee Load All.
For 223 I recommend Lyman's 51st and a Lee single stage or turret press.

You might want to take the NRAs Basic Reloading Class:

There aren't many instructors that teach this class but if you can find one he/she will help you avoid some mistakes.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top