JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
ive got some ammunition that my buddies dad loaded up before he passed away. Is there any way for me to trade it for some ammo in calibers I have? Its like 100 rounds in 45 win mag and like 500 rounds of 22-250. Its all labeled with the info he used to load them, I just don't know how to get them to someone with those calibers and get me some ammo for mine.....legally...any help would be appreciated

Jeff

Gonna be TOUGH finding someone who'll take on a strangers' reloads, unless they want them for the components and deconstruct them.

Case in point, I have a large tub of reloaded 38spl rounds that a friend got in amongst a "large lot" sale.... he GAVE them to me (the only reason I accepted them) and just sorting through a few of them.... there's primers that are in backwards. I wouldn't even let my ex-wife shoot any of those rounds! :rolleyes:

I will pull the bullets out, dump the powder and run them through the dies and reload them for range use, but that will happen when I have spare time.

Last Edited:
I hear you. Just looking at them and his attention to detail, I dont think there woukd be an issue. That being said, i hear what your saying. Guess I'll just have to look for a 22-250 and 45 mag to dispose of them....if the wife let's me...lol

I use to buy reloads on the gun forums and at the gun shows.
I had some 223 that were a little to hot and would blow the primers out.
Another time I had a 357 magnum that was double charged and was lucky it didn't ruin the gun.
My brother inlaw cashed in his chips last New Years and I got all of his ammuntion.
He had a bag or reloaded 38spl. I knocked them all apart and several had no powder or very little bit.
A couple of months ago picked up two humdred 222 Remington bullets and the set of dies. The guys father inlaw reloaded them when he was 87 years old and cashed in his chips a couple of years later
The son inlaw did not have a 222 Remington gun so he gave the 222 ammo and dies away.
How ever he did have a 45 auto and was shooting the reloaded ammo his father inlaw rolled out.
He too got a double charged reload from his father inlaws reloads.

I don't trust anybodies reloaded ammo no matter who reloaded them.
Knock them apart and start over.

Guess I'll just have to look for a 22-250 and 45 mag to dispose of them..

A buddies dad loaded these before he passed? I'd say, unless you were very close to the buddy, and very close to his dad. They treated you like one of their own. You went on trips with the family and it was a regular thing for you, Dad and buddy to go to the range and shoot dads reloads. If you didn't know these folk intimately. Hard Pass.

You ought to see if they'll sell/give you the gun for that .45 WinMag! :eek:

Spendy, but cool. Wicked cool!

Seen lots of reloads for sale at gun shows or whatnot, and unless I just want an example of that/those cartridges for the collection/display, I won't touch them, especially for shooting. That really offends a lot of people, that I'm only willing to buy at salvage prices, instead of ammo prices, but I got no idea who/what/when/where/why they did anything. No powder, too much powder, wrong powder, old/worn out brass, maybe they had problems with it, etc. I'm willing to risk my gun/life shooting MY reloads, but not someone else's.

This is where the "bubba's pissin hot reloads" meme comes from. In the same way you should assume all firearms are loaded, you should assume all reloads are BEYOND published max and dialed in for THEIR gun. Shooting someone else's reloads is always a bad idea with a very few exceptions.For example, my 556 reloads fill to the top of the shoulder. You physically cant double charge without a spillage. The worst thing I encounter when someone else shoots my ammo is really tight chambers but a small base die fixes that. A 9x19 could be double charged with tite group- which is VERY potent and you'd never know unless you looked really closely. That's all you need to nuke the frame. Mistakes happen and if you/they think your fingers, eyes or gun are worth the gamble to save some pennies on ammo, go for it. Otherwise break them down or sell them as components.

How would I sell/ trade them as components for other ammo? Can I sell them as components as us in their aftermarket cases or do I have to do something different. They are taking up space and want something i can use or shoot.

Thanks

Jeff

How would I sell/ trade them as components for other ammo? Can I sell them as components as us in their aftermarket cases or do I have to do something different. They are taking up space and want something i can use or shoot.

Thanks

Jeff

Sell them on the reloaded classifieds as strictly to be broken down and used as components only. There used to be a sticky about it, but its gone. Just be clear in your ad. "legally" yo u can't sell reloads as assembled ready to shoot ammo without a certain SOT/FFL. Selling as components clears that issue.

Just list them as components needing disassembly. Nothing wrong with that at all.

If you really want to shoot someone's elses reloads, I'd disassemble 10 and weigh out the charge and get an expected per round weight... Then run each round on the scale. Should at least keep you from a double charge.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top