JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/n...-of-congress-oppose-un-arms-trade-treaty.aspx

Posted on October 15, 2013

Fairfax, Va. – Today, a bipartisan group of 50 members of the U.S. Senate and 181 members of the U.S. House sent a clear message to President Barack Obama, Secretary of State John Kerry and the United Nations that the U.N. Arms Trade Treaty will not be ratified. Earlier this year, the U.N. adopted and President Obama directed Secretary Kerry to sign this treaty, which does not exclude civilian arms from its scope and therefore directly threatens the Second Amendment.

“The Obama administration has repeatedly demonstrated its contempt for our fundamental, individual Right to Keep and Bear Arms,” said Chris W. Cox, executive director of the NRA’s Institute for Legislative Action. “On behalf of our 5 million members, the NRA would like to thank those who signed these letters for their principled stand in defending the Second Amendment freedoms of all law-abiding Americans.”

The Senate effort in opposition to the ATT was led by Sens. Jerry Moran (R-KS) and Joe Manchin (D-WV). Their letter, signed by 50 senators, states clearly that “as members of the Senate, we pledge to oppose the ratification of this treaty, and we give notice that we do not regard the U.S. as bound to uphold its object and purpose.”

A bipartisan group of 181 members of the U.S. House sent a separate letter of opposition. That effort was led by Reps. Mike Kelly (R-PA) and Collin Peterson (D-MN).

“The NRA will continue to fight against ratification of the U.N. ATT, which undermines the constitutional rights of law-abiding Americans,” concluded Cox. “With 67 votes in the U.S. Senate being necessary for ratification, these letters send a clear message to President Obama and Secretary Kerry that this attempt to undermine our Right to Keep and Bear Arms will be met with strong opposition.”

So where is the U.N. outrage and reports over all the killings and deprivation of human life in Somalia, and Rowanda, and Pakistan, and Afganistan, and China, and Kampuchea (Cambodia), and Sudan, and Lebanon, and Syria, and Angola, and etc, etc, etc?
Simple - these are atrocities the UN (or anyone for that matter) cannot control. Therefore it is much easier to concentrate on something they think is 'controllable' such as SYG. Standard liberal mentality - better to be a victim than a proactive self defender. This is the bottom line. The anti - mentality is such that it is better for us all - financially, emotionally, personally, legally (add more if you want) to be a VICTIM because there is less burden on the 'system' for a criminal to prevail - than for a victor to have to win his/her due in the legal system. It's simple - a criminal commits a crime and they go to jail or are killed. The burden is now on the victim who has to live with the consequences - even though they are right and just but he/she has to endure the legal fallout.

Simple - these are atrocities the UN (or anyone for that matter) cannot control. Therefore it is much easier to concentrate on something they think is 'controllable' such as SYG. Standard liberal mentality - better to be a victim than a proactive self defender. This is the bottom line. The anti - mentality is such that it is better for us all - financially, emotionally, personally, legally (add more if you want) to be a VICTIM because there is less burden on the 'system' for a criminal to prevail - than for a victor to have to win his/her due in the legal system. It's simple - a criminal commits a crime and they go to jail or are killed. The burden is now on the victim who has to live with the consequences - even though they are right and just but he/she has to endure the legal fallout.

Very nice elucidation to my rhetorical sarcasm! :) :s0155:

Personally I hope he tries to push the measure. Because that right there would be grounds impeachment plain and simple.

He should have already been impeached just for his birth certificate, hidden school records, Fast & Furious, IRS scandal etc.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
"Defender of Freedom" award
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"Having a gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it you may never need it again"

He should have already been impeached just for his birth certificate, hidden school records, Fast & Furious, IRS scandal etc.

Deen

"Having a gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it you may never need it again"

100% right on ! :s0155:

I have NO regard for the UN or NATO at all.

Deen
Defender of Freedom Award

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

Deen

It is painfully obvious that obama owns many members of congress

This will cheer everyone up...

Thursday at U.N.: Panel on voluntary surrender of firearms

One month after Secretary of State John Kerry signed the United Nations Arms Trade Treaty and just a few days after 50 U.S. senators said they will not ratify the agreement, a curious "high level panel" on Argentina's national program for the voluntary surrender of firearms is scheduled this Thursday in a U.N. conference room in New York.

<broken link removed>

Arms Treaty Stymied by Second Amendment Concerns in Senate | The World's Greatest Deliberative Body

Arms Treaty Stymied by Second Amendment Concerns in Senate
By Niels Lesniewski Posted at 1:44 p.m. on Oct. 22, 2013

A clear majority of senators now oppose the United Nations Arms Trade Treaty.

Because two-thirds of senators would be required to consent to ratification, the fate of the treaty was always in doubt. Now it's unclear whether the Senate could even proceed to debate the measure.

There's no way to filibuster a motion to take up a treaty, but a roll call vote may be required to go into executive session to consider it. That would require a simple majority, and it isn't at all clear the treaty &#8212; which would establish new international standards related to trade in conventional weapons &#8212; would get over that threshold.

In a Monday letter to President Barack Obama, Democratic Sens. Jon Tester and Max Baucus of Montana joined Heidi Heitkamp of North Dakota and Joe Donnelly of Indiana in announcing opposition to the treaty that Secretary of State John Kerry signed on to on behalf of the Obama administration last month.

The four Democrats say that including small firearms and ammunition in the terms of the agreement "makes the Treaty overly broad."

"We take our constitutional obligation as U.S. Senators to provide advice and consent seriously. And although we appreciate the Administration's work to make this Treaty more amenable to the United States' interests, we believe it falls short," the senators wrote. "Because of unaddressed concerns that this Treaty's obligations could undermine our nation's sovereignty and the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding Americans, we would oppose the Treaty if it were to come before the U.S. Senate."

The National Rifle Association, which has long opposed the treaty, praised the senators' letter.

"This letter sends a clear message to President Obama and Secretary Kerry that the Arms Trade Treaty will not receive the 67 votes in the U.S. Senate necessary for ratification," NRA Executive Director Chris W. Cox said in a Tuesday statement.

The letter from the four Democrats followed a letter sent last week by 50 senators, including 5 Democrats, expressing opposition to the treaty.

"The treaty includes only a weak non-binding reference to the lawful ownership and use of, and trade in firearms, and recognizes none of these activities, much less individual self-defense, as fundamental individual rights," wrote the group of 50, led by Kansas Republican Jerry Moran, West Virginia Democrat Joe Manchin III and Oklahoma Republican James M. Inhofe.

The 50 signatories on that letter include Sen. Jeff Chiesa, R-N.J. The appointed senator's term will soon expire with the seating of Cory Booker.

Booker has a record of supporting gun control efforts, which means the actual vote count in opposition to the treaty may soon be 53

Yep, so they have certainly let the fake prez know that it's gonna cost him plenty,
If he wants some help passing this treaty.
I guess he'd better put the old squeeze on the treasury dept to get some more bribe $$$,$$$
printed

This will cheer everyone up...

Thursday at U.N.: Panel on voluntary surrender of firearms

One month after Secretary of State John Kerry signed the United Nations Arms Trade Treaty and just a few days after 50 U.S. senators said they will not ratify the agreement, a curious "high level panel" on Argentina's national program for the voluntary surrender of firearms is scheduled this Thursday in a U.N. conference room in New York.

<broken link removed>

hey Dave im with you on standing against the arms treaty but i cant say im behind standing against people giving up their personal arms voluntarily. its one thing to require people to make themselves defenseless and a whole different thing when they give them up as a personal choice. i suppose it would be a problem if they felt intimidated into giving their weapons up though.

hey Dave im with you on standing against the arms treaty but i cant say im behind standing against people giving up their personal arms voluntarily. its one thing to require people to make themselves defenseless and a whole different thing when they give them up as a personal choice. i suppose it would be a problem if they felt intimidated into giving their weapons up though.

Intimidation is what they do.
Its up to the individual if they hav the backbone to fight or become a subject, never to have freedom again. I think you will be surprised at how many will never lay down to being an enslaved subject.

Who in their right mind would give up their guns voluntarily & without reimbursement?

i wont pretend to know fully what their situation is because i really dont have any idea but pacifism is only a bad thing when you really should be fighting. some people do choose to live a pacifist lifestyle. so long as it doesnt mean they forfeit their rights to own weapons i dont have a problem with people making the choice for themselves to not own weapons. also maybe it is poor judgement to not ask for compensation for the weapon though.

i wont pretend to know fully what their situation is because i really dont have any idea but pacifism is only a bad thing when you really should be fighting. some people do choose to live a pacifist lifestyle. so long as it doesnt mean they forfeit their rights to own weapons i dont have a problem with people making the choice for themselves to not own weapons. also maybe it is poor judgement to not ask for compensation for the weapon though.

Compensation..... that is a mute topic. The Jewish people were pacifists once too.
Not here not this time.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads