JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yep, my boiler plate response would be "Learn on a single station" as well.
But I've met Ryguy13 and I think he could skip the single station and learn on a progressive.
Isolate each station....you do that anyway during set-up.

Last Edited:
This was my first as a teenager. You just need a rubber mallet and your consumables. :)

LEE LOADER.JPG

I agree. If you're brand new to reloading, start with a single stage press.
I know what you mean about learning hands on, but you really need to grab a beginners reloading book such as the and go through it. It's a fun hobby and very rewarding, but also one that can kill or maim you if you're not paying attention or don't know fully what you are doing.
Sounds good. I appreciate the input. I've been reading a couple books and just trying to get a basic understanding of the process before I jump into.i bought Reloading for handgunners and I bought the Lyman 50th edition. I just ordered the ABC'sof reloading. I difinently don't want to hurt myself or my firearms from making a mistake. I can imagine it could get a little overwhelming with all the moving parts in a progressive on top of learning the tricks of the trade so to speak. Do you guys think going with the Dillon 550 series as starter would be ok since it's a manual index?kind of a dumb question since you both recommended single stage to start, but I just have to ask. I'm more than likely going to hold off until I've found someone who could go through the process with me either way. I plan on just starting with 9mm until I get really comfortable with it before I try any rifle cartridges. I'm pretty sure we're joining Douglas ridge next month so hopefully they have a reloading class or I meet someone that's willing to teach me the basics. Thanks again for the input I appreciate it.

Yep, my boiler plate response would be "Learn on a single station" as well.
But I've met Ryguy13 and I think he could skip the single station and learn on a progressive.
Isolate each station....you do that anyway during set-up.
That's what I was thinking. I'm not going to get any auto bullet feeders or case feeders to start with. I'm patient and cautious so I figured I could just run one station at a time until I was comfortable.

I learned on a 650 and it takes patience and dicipline. Nothing wrong with learning on a single stage though, many people try it and find out reloading isn't for them so it less of an investment.

Personally I don't like the 550 for a beginner because it's easier to double charge than an auto index. I think it either get a 650 and add the casefeeder later or single stage. Either way you will find it convenient to have a single stage so I'd just go with that. Rockchucker is my choice for single stuff. I'm still getting used to the co-ax and not completely sure whether or not I like it better.

I learned on a 650 and it takes patience and dicipline. Nothing wrong with learning on a single stage though, many people try it and find out reloading isn't for them so it less of an investment.

Personally I don't like the 550 for a beginner because it's easier to double charge than an auto index. I think it either get a 650 and add the casefeeder later or single stage. Either way you will find it convenient to have a single stage so I'd just go with that. Rockchucker is my choice for single stuff. I'm still getting used to the co-ax and not completely sure whether or not I like it better.

I'm not going to get any auto bullet feeders or case feeders to start with.
The XL650 owners seem to all recommend the case feeder.
One owner said "I would rather load .223 on a 550 than 650 if a casefeeder was out of the equation."

I had a Grabber manual indexing shotshell reloader.
Did not like.
Sold it and got a progressive.

Perfect ,Good to know. I am still a little ways away from buying anything. I'm going to finish reading these books and hopefully get an opportunity to see a Dillon. At this point I'm just gathering info and will make a decision on the brand and type of press in the future. I appreciate your input fellas. Thanks

Does anyone no of a Dillion dealer in the Portland metro area, or do you just buy them online. I'd like to see one. I'm wanting to get into reloading and have seen the lock and load but no Dillion presses on anyone's shelves. Any help is appreciated.

You can order through Curt's on McLoughlin and waive the shipping charges.

You can locate dealers here: Authorized Dealers

Sounds good. I appreciate the input. I've been reading a couple books and just trying to get a basic understanding of the process before I jump into.i bought Reloading for handgunners and I bought the Lyman 50th edition. I just ordered the ABC'sof reloading. I difinently don't want to hurt myself or my firearms from making a mistake. I can imagine it could get a little overwhelming with all the moving parts in a progressive on top of learning the tricks of the trade so to speak. Do you guys think going with the Dillon 550 series as starter would be ok since it's a manual index?kind of a dumb question since you both recommended single stage to start, but I just have to ask. I'm more than likely going to hold off until I've found someone who could go through the process with me either way. I plan on just starting with 9mm until I get really comfortable with it before I try any rifle cartridges. I'm pretty sure we're joining Douglas ridge next month so hopefully they have a reloading class or I meet someone that's willing to teach me the basics. Thanks again for the input I appreciate it.
You certainly could start with the 550 but again, it's a little more complex. I'll also add that you can always find a good use for a single stage press for doing certain operations. I've got both progressives and single stage presses. They can all be used for different projects if needed.

:s0101:

I couldn't agree more with Dizzyj. I now have a Hornady LNL, a Dillon xl650, a MEC Shot shell progressive, and my well used and loved RCBS II Rockchucker single stage. I am ALWAYS finding a use the RCii. I still use it for my long range precision loads on my 22-250 for example. I will crank out hundreds of rounds of 45 acp on my LNL, but I want the assurance that every load is nuts on in my precision rounds. I also use it for my 7mm round because I am pushing the envelope on max loads and again don't want to leave anything to chance.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top