JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Currently using polymer MBUS sights on a Barret REC7 DI 16" and I am ready to buy some sort of red dot or scope but lost in the amount of options. I am looking at the Sparc, Strikefire, Primary Arms, Sig Sauer Romeo and Holsun and can't spend $500 to get an Eotech or better. So whats the difference? Do any of them magnify or do I have to get a magnifier also? Is getting a scope with magnification better? There are so many options that I thought asking for some personal experiences would help. Thanks ahead of time!

There are many opinions about red dots and who knows if any advice given really makes a difference, but here is mine.

I have an Aimpoint, Trijicon, Eotech, Trijicon MRO, Tasco, Bushnell and probably something else out in the tub.

That being said, every one of them works just fine and each has a down side and up side.

For sitting on a bench or plinking all of them acceptable to me and that is why I still have them.

Overall, at least for my eyes, the Eotech is hands down the best for fast aquisition of the target...like shooting steel plates at a rimfire challenge. The downside to the Eotech is the 65moa outer reticle gets fuzzy when I wear glasses, but that same 65moa outer reticle is also it's strength in that it allows me to sweep over and around my target easily without following and trying to center a small red dot. In addition, the Eotech has a large view window that helps a lot and it also does not have knobs hanging off the sides and top distracting my eyes.

Be prepared for the 'my Eotech failed' comments....mine never have in all the years I've had them.

Next is the Trijicon MRO...very sexy and bullet proof. Downside is a small dot, slight blue tint to the glass due to the optical coatings and a slight magnification which throws off my both eyes open fast shooting...like shooting the metal plates at a rimfire challenge.

The other sights are decent enough for bench or plinking.

The one thing I find irritating with the Vortex sights is all the crap/knobs/adjustments hanging off the side of the optic which again, screws with my eyes open sight picture.

Best thing to do is got tp the LGS and put your hands on them and let your own eyes tell you what looks best.

My $0.33

Whats the primary use of the gun?

HD, short range plinking : Red dot

Game gun, hunting gun, medium range : Scope

If you're shooting sub 200 yds and have good eyesight, a red dot will do everything you need.

As to which one...exactly...almost too many choices. I like the Bushnell TRS-25, have three of them, work well, inexpensive and one has lived on my PR gun for years with no issues.

I've had Aimpoints, a couple of Strikefires, a few PA micros and an Eotech...all have worked well. The Holosuns look like a nice option and have good reviews, but I haven't seen one in person yet....

Currently using polymer MBUS sights on a Barret REC7 DI 16" and I am ready to buy some sort of red dot or scope but lost in the amount of options. I am looking at the Sparc, Strikefire, Primary Arms, Sig Sauer Romeo and Holsun and can't spend $500 to get an Eotech or better. So whats the difference? Do any of them magnify or do I have to get a magnifier also? Is getting a scope with magnification better? There are so many options that I thought asking for some personal experiences would help. Thanks ahead of time!

So you can spend $1500+ on an AR but can't spend $500 on a quality sight? o_O

I'd have a $1000 rifle and a $500 sight before I had a $1500 rifle and a $200 sight. Like Stomper said, Aimpoint PRO is the best sub $450 red dot.

I saw a discount code for an aimpoint pro on this very website.. One of the ads had it- not sure which company- some online retailer. If I remember correctly the code gets you the optic for $360?

I really like the Vortex optics, I have no doubt the aimpoints, trijicons, eotech, etc are far more superior, but I too am a cheap arse.

The old saying reads true for optics as most things.
You get what you pay for.

Eotech, Sig and Vortex have all been good for me. It depends on what the application is. Battle Rifle = Eotech, AR Pistol = Sig Romeo and Medium Range Plinker = Vortex

These guys are right. If you have less than $500, Aimpoint PRO is the one to get. As an owner of an EOTech, and Aimpoint, an ACOG, a Bushnell, a SightMark and a few cheaper optics, I can tell you with confidence that the Aimpoint is the one at your price point.

Don't they eat batteries?

I have no idea, I dont own one.... Yet.

I imagine they do, but you dont need illumination in daytime anyways. Id rather have a scope, and the Strike Eagle is 1x4 variable and the tick marks are calibrated for 556..... You get the best of both worlds

For a good cheap red dot I would go with a Vortex Sparc 2.
I have one and have gotten a couple friends to buy them.
I also have a strikefire but it's a little big.

The sparc is small and only costs about $190-$225

there's few good article comparing the budget sights.
Budget Red Dot Comparison - The Firearm Blog

I had 3 Eotechs fail on me.
My aimpoint t-1 running 5 years strong.
Also love my aimpoint pro.
I've had good luck with primary arm micro dots gen2 or newer, or Bushnell trs 25. Been great dots for under $100 haven't had any issue with washout during summer time in The Dalles Oregon.

Wasn't a big fan of the few sightmark dots I've had.
Vortex are good but for about a hundred fifty more you can buy any Aimpoint.

I do think the vortex magnifier is a good value or if you decide to go with a variable scope their Strike Eagle is a good 1 to 6x Power Scope for the money. So is the primary Arms 1 to 6x but they do eat batteries.

I also be down to meet at Tri-County gun club if you ever wanted to try before you buy. I have a handful of variable Scopes and red dots from all price points.

I have no idea, I dont own one.... Yet.

I imagine they do, but you dont need illumination in daytime anyways. Id rather have a scope, and the Strike Eagle is 1x4 variable and the tick marks are calibrated for 556..... You get the best of both worlds

Actually the Strike Eagle is 1-6 power. ;)

I agree with you though. The Strike Eagle seems like a pretty good compromise. As far as battery life goes, I don't know since I don't own one yet either. I am assuming that the OP is not taking this rifle into battle so changing a battery once in a while probably isn't the end of the world. Even if it dies in the middle of a range session, you still have a reticle.

I got vortex strike fire 2 and vortex sparc both work great I hat had Bushnell and other cheap ones that worked the good about vortex they will fix or replace your site if something goes wrong with it my sparc got damage and stop working I contacted vortex shipped it to them and they sent me a new one they will send you a new one if they can't fix you old one

Over Christmas, my neighbor introduced me to the newest AR in his stable. Mostly Bravo Company parts, put together by Oregon Rifle Works in Tigard. It was light, came up to aim quickly - I felt like it was a custom fit (he and I are same frame size).
He had Troy battle sights, front and rear, and a Vortex 1x red dot. The alignment was perfect, it made acquisition under 2 seconds.
I stopped in there at ORW - nice shop, nice folks.

To paraphrase LAV, "If you're not using an Aimpoint you need to take a piss test."

I use and like the Micros, but the PRO is the best bang for the buck. They are very tough, combat proven, parallax free, unlimited eye relief & FOV, extremely long battery life.

I have a cheap*ss $36 EBay reflex optic on my AR pistol with Shockwave stabilizer. I like it because it has selectable dot patterns, green or red, and brightness control. And I have poor vision. I use it mostly for fun and for action competitions, but when I move it to the bedroom I should have something more reliable. Meanwhile if it fails it's not hard to replace.

$400 firearm/$36 sight. Just about right I'd say. ;)

I have a cheap*ss $36 EBay reflex optic on my AR pistol with Shockwave stabilizer. I like it because it has selectable dot patterns, green or red, and brightness control. And I have poor vision. I use it mostly for fun and for action competitions, but when I move it to the bedroom I should have something more reliable. Meanwhile if it fails it's not hard to replace.

$400 firearm/$36 sight. Just about right I'd say. ;)
I've tried them. They'll last a few hundred rounds on an AR, maybe a couple thousand. About a dozen on a 12 gauge. ;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top