JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've tried them. They'll last a few hundred rounds on an AR, maybe a couple thousand. About a dozen on a 12 gauge. ;)

Uh oh, I've just about reached that level on my 12ga! :eek: I better start shopping.

At my age I think I'm pretty safe with a couple thousand life expectancy in the AR pistol. I use .223 in it so maybe last a bit longer.:cool:

Nobody's replied about scopes, so here's my experience: red dots don't have much of an eye box, but scopes do, even on 1x, so training yourself to have a consistent cheek weld is crucial (I can explain further if you're unfamiliar with the term). I've found that 4x or 6x magnification isn't useless, but it's less useful than it sounds. I'll echo a sentiment someone else said: unless you're punching paper, magnification is unnecessary at 200 meters or less. A scope with rings is large and heavy compared to a red dot. A red dot might only have a single on/off button, but with a scope you'll want to learn how all the knobs work, because they do important stuff. Finally, you can get more red dot for your $ than you can scope because they're simpler to make, but you absolutely do get what you pay for.

All that being said, my optic of choice is a scope, specifically a Leupold Mk. VI 1-6x. Why? Because some of the downsides I just mentioned also have complementary upsides. Magnification isn't always necessary, but even a little is often useful (and having a cat tail makes dialing it easier). Same with a ranging or mil dot reticle, and the knobs. Yes, they're more complicated than a red dot's reticle and controls, but once you learn how to use them, then you get to use them, because they ARE useful. As for weight, if I'm shooting from a bench then I don't care ("Oh, lugging it from the car is ever so taxing":p), and if I'm not then I'm training enough to acclimate to any added weight. As for the eye box, well, that's just the pit in the cherry, and you learn to eat around it.

From my own experience, my advice is to go to Cabela's or Keith's Sporting Goods or any shop with a lot of optics and look through them, move your head around, try focusing on something across the store and see how well your eye dances with the reticle. Forget price, pick what works best, then save up for it. I saved for three years for my AR and that Leupold.

Last Edited:
Nobody's replied about scopes, so here's my experience: red dots don't have much of an eye box, but scopes do, even on 1x, so training yourself to have a consistent cheek weld is crucial (I can explain further if you're unfamiliar with the term). I've found that 4x or 6x magnification isn't useless, but it's less useful than it sounds. I'll echo a sentiment someone else said: unless you're punching paper, magnification is unnecessary at 200 meters or less. A scope with rings is large and heavy compared to a red dot. A red dot might only have a single on/off button, but with a scope you'll want to learn how all the knobs work, because they do important stuff. Finally, you can get more red dot for your $ than you can scope because they're simpler to make, but you absolutely do get what you pay for.

All that being said, my optic of choice is a scope, specifically a Leupold Mk. VI 1-6x. Why? Because some of the downsides I just mentioned also have complementary upsides. Magnification isn't always necessary, but it's often useful (having a cat tail makes dialing it easier). Same with a ranging or mil dot reticle, and the knobs. Yes, they're more complicated than a red dot's reticle and controls, but once you learn how to use them, then you get to use them, because they ARE useful. As for weight, if I'm shooting from a bench then I don't care ("Oh, lugging it from the car is ever so taxing"), and if I'm not then I'm training enough to acclimate to any added weight. As for the eye box, well, that's just the pit in the cherry, and you learn to eat around it.

The best advice is to go to Cabela's or Keith's or any shop with a lot of optics and look through them, move your head around, try focusing on something across the store and see how well your eye dances with the reticle. Pick what works best, then save up for it. I saved for three years for my AR and that Leupold.
Great points. If you're going with a low power scope, one thing to consider is that fixed magnification scopes have fewer lenses and are therefore usually noticeably clearer. I can often shoot as good or better groups with a fixed 4x than I can with a 3x9.

Last Edited:
there's few good article comparing the budget sights.
Budget Red Dot Comparison - The Firearm Blog

I had 3 Eotechs fail on me.
My aimpoint t-1 running 5 years strong.
Also love my aimpoint pro.
I've had good luck with primary arm micro dots gen2 or newer, or Bushnell trs 25. Been great dots for under $100 haven't had any issue with washout during summer time in The Dalles Oregon.

Wasn't a big fan of the few sightmark dots I've had.
Vortex are good but for about a hundred fifty more you can buy any Aimpoint.

I do think the vortex magnifier is a good value or if you decide to go with a variable scope their Strike Eagle is a good 1 to 6x Power Scope for the money. So is the primary Arms 1 to 6x but they do eat batteries.

I also be down to meet at Tri-County gun club if you ever wanted to try before you buy. I have a handful of variable Scopes and red dots from all price points.
That's sounds great, never been there but would love to sometime. I'm leaning towards Aimpoint but haven't used any so it's kinda guesswork at this point.

Just got the last parts I want for my rifle except the optics so they should be going on the rifle this weekend. New minimalist stock, BCM QD sling plate and Magpul QD sling, BCM plastic picatinny rail for mounting Streamlight TLR-1. Funny I haven't even shot this gun yet, just been sticking with the Arsenal SAM7-66 but when I got a plate carrier and loaded everything up the weight of the gun and the size/weight mags were ridiculous so I decided to invest and switch to something light and keep the jackhammer at home where it will last forever. I love my Arsenal but don't want to lug it around.

I've tried them. They'll last a few hundred rounds on an AR, maybe a couple thousand. About a dozen on a 12 gauge. ;)

That is one big thing to think about when choosing a dot. What is it going on. I have a handful of cheapo ones. One of them (BSA) is so old I can't even remember where and when I bought it. It has rode untold .22's and even a few PCC's. Still works fine. Just a little large compared to what's out there now. Now of course if you are going to put one on a shotgun, larger rifle, or of course slide mount, well you need to plan on paying a lot more.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top