JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I realize this dates me a bit and is also environment specific ie cities are different than woods. Back in the day it seems like when doing outdoor stuff everyone was armed and it was no big deal. I remember 1911's and 357 revolvers being the most common. All this talk about down-sizing got me thinking about what I would want to carry as a walk about/utility firearm. Right now the gun with me most of the time is a Glock 22 in 40 S&W and back then I was the odd man out with a 71/2" 45 Colt Ruger Blackhawk. These days, short barred big Magnums and 10mm's seem popular. So what would be your utility firearm?

My "go-to" is my S&W Airweight in .38 Special. Maybe not the greatest choice from a firepower standpoint, but it's a case of always having it with me. I cover lots of miles in the woods bowhunting, checking trail cameras, shed hunting, looking for mushrooms, etc. and have other choices to carry. Sometimes I carry a .357 Magnum or .44 Magnum. If it's grouse season, I may just have a .22 rimfire pistol. But when it comes right down to it, it's usually the Airweight on my hip. It's light and I trust the Blackhawk Serpa holster it rides in. After all these years, it's certainly not the prettiest gun, but it still gives me great comfort even though I hardly notice it's there.

Good question and something to think about. Old guys like me that grew up with revolvers and autos at least have the experience with both platforms to pick something that is a good fall back from semi autos should magazines restrictions take place.

I feel well armed with a 1911 in 45acp, carried one for decades and shot competition with mine. It's heavy for an old man but I can live with that.

Either that or a Smith 2 inch 66.

Being old and having old man's butt a belt carry just won't do as my pants fall off. A shoulder rig is now required.

Concealablity is my biggest issue. As a service tech or property management contractor. I keep it hidden well not to draw attention or cause concern. Either I don't print or don't carry on the clock….Micro comp. 9mm for urban threats SIG 365
My wife cowboys it OWB but a different work environment. …. Compact audio or micro 9 mm urban threats Hellcat/G19
But I change carry pistol model often. Depends on where I'm going. Sometimes back up .22 auto on ankle. .380 auto back pocket
We're mostly dependent on 9mm only outdoors recreation. A single.357 option but on snubby…. Same power as 9mm really. So capacity wins.
Got a silly little 10mm for fun…. Maybe better for recreational wilderness adventures but heavier… much.
That being said revolver is much more comfortable IWB …. I can't explain why.
And I'm currently shopping for 4-6" wheel gun. 44 or true 357 performance.

Currently a Glock 17 w/ surefire X300 and 2 extra mags. It's my daily carry. EDC. Goes with me to work, in the city, home or out in the woods.

Utility as in usefulness...?

If that is the case , then for modern firearms it would be my :
Colt Series 70 in .45ACP for conceal carry.
Ruger old model Bearcat for hiking , camping and the like.
Remington 510 for the same as the Bearcat as well as small game and grouse hunting.

For all around general usage...
My Hawken is my most used , shot and carried firearm that I own.
Andy

Last Edited:
Definitely environmental specific...

• Around Town: My standard daily carry 4.25" M&P Core, 9mm
  • If there are polar bears around: A 12 gauge with slugs or possibly a 45-70
  • If I'm in TRex or Velociraptor Country: Probably a .50 cal

Woods: 1911 10mm In a chest kit bag so I can still wear a backpack with hip belt. Revolvers used to be my woods gun and they're certainly more accurate at the range but I personally feel I can put more accurate follow up shots down range without the double action trigger pull.

My EDC utility firearm is a Diamondback DB9. I like to pocket carry and it is the biggest pistol I can pocket carry comfortably and unholster easily. For the big city, hiking or areas that I am not familiar with I will usually up gun to a XDS .45 IWB. I just purchased an Kahr CM45 which I haven't had the chance to thoroughly test yet. I like the smoother slight smaller form factor if the CM45 proves itself.

When I am camping or hiking back country I might bring my XD mod 2 compact in .45acp for the extra rounds.

I have considered a 10mm but haven't been able to convince myself that it would be a significant advantage over a .45acp.

For me the smaller and lighter the pistol the more likely I will have it on me when I need it. I never step foot out of the house without at least and LCP. The best firearm for any situation is the one you have on you when you need it.

Last Edited:
I don't understand what you mean by utility firearm. Walking around town?, in the woods?, for self defense, for vermin?, for target shooting?, etc
Fair enough, first off not everyone's utility will be the same. For urban use I like the 40 cals, but for spending time in the way out back I see utility as a firearm first that I'm very comfortable with and that will feed and protect me if needed. I would bird hunt with a shotgun and big game hunt with a rifle but this gun would be the one always on my hip. Of my guns my 4" GP-100 has done this duty for years and I'm thinking my 6" Blackhawk in 41 Mag might be a good choice a well. I just haven't shot it enough to call it "The Gun" yet.

For Urban daily, it's a 1911 Doublestack 10 mm and for woods daily it's a Colt Anaconda .44 Mag!
For chits and giggles, it's a Metaba Unitica 6 in .454 Casull, just becasue!
These are ALWAYS backed up by a long gun in the rigs, usually a shotgun and/or a Carbine close at hand!

If it's open carry, I tend to carry my Glock 21. Though that's because I want a big gun with lots of firepower and I never got loading 10mm down, won't pay for it factory so the Glock 20 stays home. What I'd really like is a Glock in 10mm the size of the 22, though that'll never happen.

If it's hunting, I like to carry my 686+, though now considering switching to my SRH in .44 Magnum (thanks for the ammo, BTW, Mike) because that thing is a freight train

If we're talking about what realistically goes with me most often, it's my plain old boring Glock 19 which coincidentally is my highest round count firearm including .22s and first Glock.

I like to carry guns that plain old work and can use as a literal hammer if necessary and not feel bad. At one point, I used a Glock 33 for that purpose

It's really going to depend on what happens with 114, if I can't carry my 15 shot 9mm and limited to 10 shots then I will carry a more powerful gun.

I may go with a 44 mag instead of a 45 auto. The bad guys won't be limited by what's legal to carry so may as well carry something powerful I guess.

44 has great utility, 44 special to train with and magnums to carry. Excellent guns made for the round and while over penetration is a concern if you hit the criminal will fall.

I can even make snake shot for it easily.

It's really going to depend on what happens with 114, if I can't carry my 15 shot 9mm and limited to 10 shots then I will carry a more powerful gun.

I may go with a 44 mag instead of a 45 auto. The bad guys won't be limited by what's legal to carry so may as well carry something powerful I guess.

44 has great utility, 44 special to train with and magnums to carry. Excellent guns made for the round and while over penetration is a concern if you hit the criminal will fall.

I can even make snake shot for it easily.
My loadout won't change. I could care less about 114.

5" GP100 .357

EA8E90FF-6E0D-4A36-A906-1207DAD3DCBA.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews