JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm interested in getting a snub .38 for concealed carry. I tried a Ruger LCR (the very first version a couple months after it was released). I was favorably impressed, though it had a little rattle to it. This was in the design, not the particular gun I tried. Not a big deal.

So I could get an LCR for myself - they're $419 new here in Oregon. But I'm wondering if there are other guns in the same price range I should consider? I would like to stay roughly around that price.

I don't need .357 - I find it very uncomfortable to shoot in a snub and it's a capability I would never use.

I have a LCR and the misses has a SP101. They both have pros and cons but we are both happy with them. They are both 357mags and i agree that its uncomfortable and probability not worth the noise and blast. The heavier 101 is a little less snappy and the LCR is well lighter. Both seem tough and are accurate for what they are.
Best of luck,

While I tend to think that .357 from a snub is mostly a waste of powder for little gain, I will say that I wouldn't pass a deal on one as the up side is it does give you the option of using either ammo in case there is little selection at some point.

You said concealed carry. Not one to take out shootin all the time. So why carry a heavy gun like the sp101? Get a Titanium 342 j-frame at 11oz. and you will forget you have it on. If you feel the need to shoot the pee out of your carry gun then get that sp101 or another all steel gun. The point is figure out how your gona use it and get the right tool. You wouldn't use a square point shovel to dig post holes?
Allso don't get a taurus or charter arms. Pay for the best and you will only regret it once. Some smiths wont even do a triger job on a taurus.

I know I have posted in a few different threads about it but I am still stoked over my Taurus 605 and how well it performs. I believe I can recommend it as a 'good' gun for what they are going for.

Hey raindog, I got my LCR with laser for $369.00 at Keiths a couple of months ago. Might give them a call for a price check. My other thought was an older Colt Detective Special. All steel 6 shooters! I like the vintage Dick Specials having shot a lot of them. My late best friend collected and shot them. They were slick and I don't think they make snubbys like that anymore. My S&W's are lesser weapons. Hope you find just the right gun!

acf97f.jpg

Taurus 85SS

Yep, that's stainless steel, not Nickel.
The one pictured above sold at gunauction.com for $225 with a BIN of $350.
I understand that Braziltech is building some first rate guns these days. The "Saturday night special" days seem to be long past now.
The grips are engineered to reduce recoil and all of the Taurus revolvers appear to be "super" verisons of S&W pistols....although no one still touches any Smith for out-of-the-box trigger feel.
Anyway, inexpensive, available and reliable. What more can you ask for?
But don't take my word for it, check it out and see for yourself.

Dean

I think that you should go with a Colt Agent in .38 w/ a factory hammer guard on it and a set of Pachmayrs on it. I just happen to know where you can get one too! selfish plug:banana: all in all its been a fantastic firearm and have had 0 issues.

I bought this 'Smith 38-3,used ,a few years ago,and I love it.The Airweights are a lot less money than the Taitanium 'Smiths,and I like the shrouded hammer *** opposed to hammerless.
slips easily into jeans or a coat pocket,don't weigh much and I too don't feel the need of a .357 in a snubby..they are jus plain MEAN to shoot.

DSCN0214.jpg

That 38-3 or one like it in stainless is probibly the best compromise.You pay a lot for the 3-4 ounces in weight drop with titanium.
One problem I have is gun material. I need a gun in stainless or somehow plated or It will rust badly from my persperation. You can see the nose and sides of the slide in this rust stain on my t-shirt. You can even make out the barrel opening. Its from a kel-tek .380 tucked into my waist on a gun clip. If I use a holster with a non-stainless gun it just rusts in the holster. So far Glocks hold up good. Just something to consider.That 38-3 or one like it in stainless is probibly the best compromise.You pay a lot for the 3-4 ounces in weight drop with titanium.
One problem I have is gun material. I need a gun in stainless or somehow plated or It will rust badly from my persperation. You can see the nose and sides of the slide in this rust stain on my t-shirt. You can even make out the barrel opening. Its from a kel-tek .380 tucked into my waist on a gun clip. If I use a holster with a non-stainless gun it just rusts in the holster. So far Glocks hold up good. Just something to consider.
As far as taurus goes go to Grant Cunninghams's gunsmith site and read why he wont work on Taurus revolvers. Then ask if you wan't to bet your life on one. You can get a new stainless j-frame S&W at Keiths for $379. Just pay a little more.

As far as taurus goes go to Grant Cunninghams's gunsmith site and read why he wont work on Taurus revolvers. Then ask if you wan't to bet your life on one. You can get a new stainless j-frame S&W at Keiths for $379. Just pay a little more.
I read the article, so what's the problem?
Why am I asking if I want to bet my life on one when Cunningham's only problem with working on Taurus revolvers is that he doesn't think the cost of reworking the action into something "world class" justifies the resale value of the gun, after the work is done.
I didn't see any mention of the gun being dangerous or unreliable.
His issue is based on monetary return. That's all.
Why are you making this sound like a reliability issue?

Dean

You said concealed carry. Not one to take out shootin all the time. So why carry a heavy gun like the sp101? Get a Titanium 342 j-frame at 11oz. and you will forget you have it on. If you feel the need to shoot the pee out of your carry gun then get that sp101 or another all steel gun. The point is figure out how your gona use it and get the right tool. You wouldn't use a square point shovel to dig post holes?
Allso don't get a taurus or charter arms. Pay for the best and you will only regret it once. Some smiths wont even do a triger job on a taurus.

I practice with my snub alot, shooting, loading w/ a speed loader and speed strip, and drawing from pocket. I've found the LCR good for this. The 11 oz Airweight is painful to shoot, IMO.

Not a taurus,Rossi or Charter Arms fan,but my buddy has a Charter arms that is a great shooter.Pretty cheap too. I don't really think any of the newer snubbies are flat out 'bad' guns.Some just have better triggers.

So as mentioned,if you buy a heavier built 357 framed gun,that will last longer,you can still shoot 38s out of it.
(you never know when you may need the 357 capabilities either)
I read an article about shooting the 357 and 38s out of 2.5-3" guns.The author suggested that with recoil and muzzle flash,you would probably be better off shooting 38+p's than 357.Doesn't do any good if you can't make that second shot.sometimes.

I have had a few different snubs over the years and I think that most S&Ws will work nicely and you will like the triggers.The rest is how much and what style.

Now go buy one and post pics.
Good luck

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top