JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
DeanMK did you read the 38 coments about taurus revolvers below the article? The light primer strikes. The cylinder lock up problems? I know all gun makers have some problems. Even S&W. But it seams Taurus has more than there share. My main gripe is the timing. At a gun show I tested the timing on five taurus revolvers on a large sellers table. All five had bad timing. With my left thumb puting a small amount of drag on the cylinder. All five let their hammers cock long befor the cylinders locked. If this gets bad enough the gun can shave bullits or spin back to the last fired chamber. This is what old worn out revolvers do. Not new ones. You shoppers make your own choice. But check the timing first. You may not have noticed a timing problem because a fast double action triger pull will spin the cylinder fast enough to lock the cylinder. This problem get worse when a revolver is fired in a pocket. As may be used shooting from conceilment in a jacket. Some guns won't lock on one or two of the 5-6 chambers. Some guns wont lock on all chambers! Don't just beleive me. Go pick up a taurus and try it yourself. They need to do better than that. I sure don't want to own one. And the charter arms were worse than the taurus! It's like revolver builders found out that nobody knows how to check timing. And they certainly don't seam to care.

Would never own a Taurus or a Rossi, their past performance has tainted them for me forever.

personal preference would be a 2" (actually 1 7/8") S&W model 10. Keep your eyes open and one will turn up, I usually see them at pawn shops and smaller gun stores. They are not as common as you might think.

DeanMK did you read the 38 coments about taurus revolvers below the article?
No, I didn't, because you stated the article, not the comments that followed it.
I didn't even see any comments below that article, because you stated the article, not the comments that followed it.
BUT we're all human and maybe you just thought you got your point across, when (apparently) you actually didn't.
No harm, no foul. It happens...you know what I mean.

Medic! said:
The light primer strikes. The cylinder lock up problems? I know all gun makers have some problems. Even S&W. But it seams Taurus has more than there share. My main gripe is the timing. At a gun show I tested the timing on five taurus revolvers on a large sellers table. All five had bad timing. With my left thumb puting a small amount of drag on the cylinder. All five let their hammers cock long befor the cylinders locked. If this gets bad enough the gun can shave bullits or spin back to the last fired chamber. This is what old worn out revolvers do. Not new ones. You shoppers make your own choice. But check the timing first. You may not have noticed a timing problem because a fast double action triger pull will spin the cylinder fast enough to lock the cylinder. This problem get worse when a revolver is fired in a pocket. As may be used shooting from conceilment in a jacket. Some guns won't lock on one or two of the 5-6 chambers. Some guns wont lock on all chambers! Don't just beleive me. Go pick up a taurus and try it yourself. They need to do better than that. I sure don't want to own one. And the charter arms were worse than the taurus! It's like revolver builders found out that nobody knows how to check timing. And they certainly don't seam to care.
Yep, you're right, nothing is perfect, and everyone makes mistakes from time to time.
FWIW, the last new model 85 Taurus I performed that lock up check with worked just as well as the Smith I tried before it.
Locked up tight and chambers lined up every time.
I remember feeling a little roughness with the action, but then, it was a brand new gun. I'd actually expect that with any brand new gun....because....it's a brand new gun.
I even compared the little Taurus to a small .25 auto that was also for sale and noted how much difference in size there wasn't between the guns.
The width was the biggest difference (obviously), and even then the differences weren't really all that much.
But, getting back to your point, yes, everyone makes mistakes and every so often, a blem makes it through.....maybe you just happen to find 5 that day...maybe that's why they were on a sellers table at a gun show.
I do applaud your foresight in checking the timing of the cylinder. It's something one should check on ANY revolver they're considering.
...and for that, this Bud's fer you...bud. ;)

Dean

I had a model 37 S&W that was awesome, except for the lines along the length of the trigger that gave me blisters every time I shot it more than a few cylinders. I traded it for a mint Belgian Browning Hi-Power, which I frankly wanted more anyway, but as wheel guns go, absent the trigger, it was a terrific gun.

Sorry about the article DeanMK. Sometimes I don't explain myself too well. Maybe I expect people to read my mind. [if that's true my wife may be right.]And it could be that a couple years ago Taurus just had a worse than normal problem with timing in there revolvers. I just like the S&W revolvers. I have seen less problems with them. When I could not find a good Taurus after looking at five on a table of new guns. It left a strong opinion of Taurus revolvers. And not a good one. Now if you have one with good timing. With a flashlight shined in the gap at the back of the cylinder and you looking down the barrel. Do the holes in the cylinder line up with the barrel/forceing cone? Or can you see the edge of the cylinder hole because the barrel dose not quite line up on one or more cylinder holes. Is the cylinder gap over size, [.006 or so] or forcing cone cut at an angle to give more gap on one side. Dose the cylinder have too much for and aft play. Dose it have an action that is so loose the triger can be wobbled from side to side in the frame. Or the hammer. If not then you have a good one. But that goes for any revolver. I do feel that Taurus sells a lot of there revolvers because the average buyer dose not know to look for these things. They think it's New and cheeper than S&W. So rather than explain all this to a new revolver buyer and hope he gets it all right. It's easier to say buy a S&W because they get it right more often. Thats not to say you can't buy a good Taurus. You just can't buy one built with the quality of parts and care as a S&W. Is a taurus good enough? Thats for you and your money too decide. What $75-$100? Don't forget resale or duribility if you hand it down to your grown children.

Like I said before, I think you just happened to find 5 blems.
If those were the only Taurus revolvers you've ever run across, I can see why you have such a dissapproving attitude towards that brand.
I think anyone would be left with a very negative impression of that company....kinda like when I was 15 and my dad got a new 11oo lightweight.
I hated that gun because I couldn't shoot it worth a darn. Felt bulky and didn't swing smoothly.
31 years later, I decide to use it to do some target shooting and was surprised by how well it fit me and how well it handled.
I talked that shotty down for years, but not anymore.
Maybe we both need to revist some Taurus revolvers and see if a little time has changed our atttitudes at all.

Dean

It has alot more to do with their TRACK RECORD at this point, then digging for 5 issues. Taurus has been going downhill in quality for awhile. Talking a gun down because it doesn't fit you, is different then saying this company has QC issues and when defending your life you choose the quality that it's worth

Like I said before, I think you just happened to find 5 blems.
If those were the only Taurus revolvers you've ever run across, I can see why you have such a dissapproving attitude towards that brand.
I think anyone would be left with a very negative impression of that company....kinda like when I was 15 and my dad got a new 11oo lightweight.
I hated that gun because I couldn't shoot it worth a darn. Felt bulky and didn't swing smoothly.
31 years later, I decide to use it to do some target shooting and was surprised by how well it fit me and how well it handled.
I talked that shotty down for years, but not anymore.
Maybe we both need to revist some Taurus revolvers and see if a little time has changed our atttitudes at all.

Dean

I have a Taurus .357 2" CIA 650 and while it's comfortable to carry, and with new hogue grips it sticks in my hand fine and shoots great I'm concerned about this timing you speak of.

How do you check this exactly? Dry firing while dragging a thumb on the cylinder? Using snap caps?

I picked up a S&W .38 for the Missus to carry, but I always treat her a little better than I treat myself. ;)

Thanks for all the advice. I ended up getting a Ruger LCR in .38 +P. I liked the trigger pull better than the S&W models. Heading to Tri-County this afternoon to give it a run through.

You are a wise man. You have definitely seen a State Fair or two.

Thanks! (What does seeing State Fairs mean?)

Glad you found something you like Raindog. Let us know how well it works.

I tested my Taurus with snap caps ands some thumb drag and it cycled and hit on all 5 chambers. I did notice that if I tried to spin the chamber backward while slowly pulling the trigger I could make it go backwards though. Is that bad?

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top