JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi Everyone,

So today I received my first M1 garand and would love to hear some opinions on the condition of my new to me rifle. I don't know anything about these but I'm wanting to learn and ordered a book. I also signed up for the upcoming Garand Service Rifle class at DRRC the first week of December.

I think from the top serial number this was made in July, 1943? I don't know what the other serial numbers mean, couldn't find the info on the CMP forum.

The muzzle and throat reading are both 2's. Is that "okay" or should I consider replacing the barrel?

Here are the pics of it.

20211116_182705.jpg 20211116_182655.jpg 20211116_182646.jpg 20211116_182612.jpg 20211116_182555.jpg 20211116_182523.jpg 20211116_182500.jpg 20211116_182421.jpg 20211116_182403.jpg 20211116_133757.jpg

I think you got a great rifle for a field grade. A nice GI stock with a cartouche. 1943 barrel in great condition
The muzzle and throat reading are both 2's. Is that "okay" or should I consider replacing the barrel?
Muzzle reading is the most important number. It should shoot fine. Throat can be up to a '5' and still shoot good.
It looks to me like a rack grade nice going.

I think you got a great rifle for a field grade. A nice GI stock with a cartouche. 1943 barrel in great condition

Muzzle reading is the most important number. It should shoot fine. Throat can be up to a '5' and still shoot good.
Thank you for your opinion!

Does the range go from 1 to 5 with 1 being good and 5 bad?

Does the range go from 1 to 5 with 1 being good and 5 bad?
Yes but '5' is not that bad considered still serviceable. The muzzle being funneled out with a steel cleaning
rod is what kills accuracy. A '2'is a good reading especially for a WW 2 barrel. Come on out and shoot
it December 11 at DRRC. I am signed up for and will shoot my Garand. They have ammo for use at match.

Yes but '5' is not that bad considered still serviceable. The muzzle being funneled out with a steel cleaning
rod is what kills accuracy. A '2'is a good reading especially for a WW 2 barrel. Come on out and shoot
it December 11 at DRRC. I am signed up for and will shoot my Garand. They have ammo for use at match.
Thanks! I am signed up for it as well. See you then!

Yup....you got a beautiful rifle. Field Grade and only a 2. Not to mention the metal's finish and the stock.

Just clean it/inspect it......grease and oil where appropriate. Having PASSED. Then, take her shooting.

Aloha, Mark

Worn out piece of Philippine scrap iron.

I'd be contacting the CMP and demanding a refund with a 2 ME. Better idea.......I'll give you $675 to cover your troubles and take it off your hands. :D

My first order for a field grade is sitting in the CMP estore as I type. Waiting for the credit card hit any day now. I hope mine is that good. I also have two more ordered that I sent in last August plus I just sent off paperwork for one of the .308 "Expert Grades".

-E-

Last Edited:
IMHO....get yourself sighted in for at least 100 yards before doing the Match.
Standard Highpower come ups are as follows:

With a 100 yard zero....

For 200 yards come up 1-2 MOA
For 300 yards come up 2-3 MOA MORE
For 500 yards come up 7 MOA MORE
For 600 yards come up 4 MOA MORE

This works for all Highpower appropriate cartridges regardless of caliber, bullet wt., or velocity. We use it all the time to get new guys on the target when they show up to their first Across the Course Highpower event and only have a 100 yard zero. It gets them in the black every time.... only takes a minor adjustment off the sighters to find center.

Best regards,
Swampy
I like to use a 6 o'clock hold. So then, make/download some targets.
I use this free web sight for printable rifle (and pistol) targets.
https://www.6mmbr.com/targets.html

The SR-1 NRA, SR-21NRA and MR-31c NRA......are usually used for the practice of a 100 yard reduced hi-power match course. I usually print them up on standard white paper and when placed out at the 100 yard range, the scoring rings will roughly simulate shooting the hi-power course without the access to a "real range".

Of course, because they have large black centers......they could also be used for pistol range targets too.

Note: being that they are printed on standard paper, they will not have cleanly cut holes when the bullet passes through. I once had my home made printed targets taken to a printer's shop to put them on "proper paper". Though that could be expensive, for just a target.
I usually print up only one example. Then, I'll take that one target to the printer place (that has a Xerox machine). Using the Xerox machine is a lot cheaper and faster vs. using up printer ink.

Get yourself a good sling, a mat, a score book and a spotting scope. Add more $ for a proper shooting coat, if you're serious.

Enjoy.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Very Nice! This could easily pass for a service grade to me and I would have been happy if I ordered a Service Grade and that one landed in my safe.

You scored a nice post war USGI stock as well and possibly the original barrel too based on the 7/43 barrel date. Bolt looks to be a Springfield 1952-1954 USGI.

Check out this link for the M1 Garand, it has a lot of useful information regarding production, part numbers, heat lot #'s etc.

USRIFLECAL30M1

The receiver and barrel look to be WW2. The bolt is post war. The number on it is actually a part number. The A-11 is the heat treat lot.....to the best of my limited knowledge.

Pull the trigger group and post up that number.

-E-

Damn you got a winner in that Garand! That's a WWII era gun with a WWII, probably original
1943 barrel. There are not many WWII barrels around anymore. Most have been replaced.
Unfortunately, that's a new CMP stock.. But whatever. Both my Garands are 50's vintage
with Boyd and CMP stocks. The first one is a Service Grade from 2001. It's SA 1953
mixmaster with an original 53 barrel. Still groups after thousands of rounds. Your gun
has a lot of life left.

Shoot it, enjoy it, keep it clean and it will just go up in value.

Here is my H&R Service Grade. 081.JPG

Spambo

Looks like a keeper to me, if it shoots good, l wouldn't worry about how it gauges. +1 on getting it sighted in before running a match. If the match is at 200, bottom out the rear sight keep your thumb on it an come up 7 clicks. That will get real close at 200.

Thats a keeper for sure! My suggestion is pull the receiver from the wood. Check for rust under and clean as needed. My last one was almost identical to yours but a Korean war era H&R. It had some rust and gunk under the wood when checked. Didnt take much to clean up and grease/oil as needed.

I see you got the greenish-hue WWII era receiver. Nice stock too. That's a keeper, you did good.

I replace my Garand front sights with the Kensight .062 National Match sight (you can find it on Amazon). It looks identical to the original but the post is finer for competition shooting. A good 1907 sling broken in with leather conditioner and you are good to go.

People love the Garand. Whenever you go to the range, budget a little extra time for talking to curious onlookers. If someone's dad or granddad carried one in the service, you are going to hear about it!

Thanks for the opinions and suggestions. I'm getting some great feedback and I appreciate it. Here are some pics of the trigger housing. Not sure if the serial numbers help with the history of this rifle.

D28290-14-SA

20211117_145627.jpg 20211117_145551.jpg

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews