JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
@Pahonix Did you order this from the CMP, buy it from a gun shop, or another forum member? I don't see any mention of a C.O.A. Did you get one with the rifle?

Last Edited:
Actually....
That particular rifle has undergone a "going over" to make things as "correct" as far as I could/can look up and confirm stuff. It started as a service grade CMP rifle (luck of the draw). Yes, the barrel and receiver along with some other smaller parts were correct, to begin with. BUT.....as needed, other small parts were taken and bought from maybe 5 or more other rifles (all were CMP rifles). So then, it's got the "correct" barrel, op rod (w/relief cut), rear bar sight, gas plug, trigger group, etc....

IIRC....my research was done with the help from the books by Scott A. Duff.
And of course, there is the second book.

There are many other books available and "some" details might/may vary.

Good luck to anyone attempting to make their rifle....."correct".

Aloha, Mark
If you get a mix master as assembled by the CMP armorers by all means I encourage anybody to trade out parts with other like collectors till you have a correct rifle. Post war rifles are alot easier to correct than war era due to the scarcity of parts. However if you purchased a legit re arsenal gun I would leave it as is and not correct it.

If you get a mix master as assembled by the CMP armorers by all means I encourage anybody to trade out parts with other like collectors till you have a correct rifle. Post war rifles are alot easier to correct than war era due to the scarcity of parts. However if you purchased a legit re arsenal gun I would leave it as is and not correct it.
I'm in that boat. My CMP rifle is a 5.93 million Springfield Armory with a original 11/55 barrel, bolt, operating rod, etc. Everything on the upper side looks original or is the correct drawing number for 1955-1956. Plus no electro pencil marks on the receiver from a '60s rebuild.

The lower half...different story. Trigger group is 1941-42 Springfield armory with a Winchester hammer. The stock is a 1955 stamped International Harvester.

I have traded into a correct trigger group that should arrive today. A Springfield Armory TG with about 98% of original finish plus correct hammer, safety, etc. The stock is going to be a much harder piece to find.

-E-

Actually....
That particular rifle has undergone a "going over" to make things as "correct" as far as I could/can look up and confirm stuff. It started as a service grade CMP rifle (luck of the draw). Yes, the barrel and receiver along with some other smaller parts were correct, to begin with. BUT.....as needed, other small parts were taken and bought from maybe 5 or more other rifles (all were CMP rifles). So then, it's got the "correct" barrel, op rod (w/relief cut), rear bar sight, gas plug, trigger group, etc....

IIRC....my research was done with the help from the books by Scott A. Duff.
And of course, there is the second book.

There are many other books available and "some" details might/may vary.

Good luck to anyone attempting to make their rifle....."correct".

Aloha, Mark
Head spinning....

You're one of those that likes to search high and low to build a correct rifle. I get it, I don't go for that myself, but-hey, enjoy it how you like! I feel like, if you could get one of those with a likely original barrel/receiver combo that would be the shizzz. Me, I'm just thrilled to have all the correct parts from whoever made em'. Oh, the GI stock makes it pretty special too.

I might have to grab those books. My CMP M1 is a bit weird in that I have a 53 SA receiver and a '44 SA barrel. Haven't dated other (mixed manufacturer) parts yet.

Last Edited:
Head spinning....

You're one of those that likes to search high and low to build a correct rifle. I get, I don't go for that myself, but-hey, enjoy it how you like! I feel like, if you could get one of those with a likely original barrel/receiver combo that would be the shizzz. Me, I'm just thrilled to have all the correct parts from whoever made em'. Oh, the GI stock makes it pretty special too.

I might have to grab those books. My CMP M1 is a bit weird in that I have a 53 SA receiver and a '44 SA barrel. Haven't dated other (mixed manufacturer) parts yet.
If it was a peace meal'd post war gun put together by CMP armorers it's worth the work to trade out parts with other members till you have a self corrected rifle. If it's a re-arsenal Garand then I would totally leave it as is. In my opinion RRA/RRAD turned out the best looking examples.

Head spinning....

You're one of those that likes to search high and low to build a correct rifle. I get, I don't go for that myself, but-hey, enjoy it how you like! I feel like, if you could get one of those with a likely original barrel/receiver combo that would be the shizzz. Me, I'm just thrilled to have all the correct parts from whoever made em'. Oh, the GI stock makes it pretty special too.

Yeah....I didn't mention that the correct stock is on it too. G.A.W. w/ the circle and crossed cannons to the right of it. But the cartouche is faint.

Once I started it became an obsession (for awhile). But as I said....only once (RE : Post #31)

Aloha, Mark

PS....about the Scott A. Duff books. IMHO, it's difficult to exactly tell quickly and easily, what parts drawing numbers one should have to match their receiver number.

And then......yeah, that parts box example (Post #31).

Last Edited:
Yeah....I didn't mention that the correct stock is on it too. G.A.W. w/ the circle and crossed cannons to the right of it. But the cartouche is faint.

Once I started it became an obsession (for awhile). But as I said....only once (RE : Post #31)

Aloha, Mark

PS....about the Scott A. Duff books. IMHO, it's difficult to exactly tell quickly and easily, what parts drawing numbers one should have to match their receiver number.

And then......yeah, that parts box example (Post #31).
I lucked out when I met a guy a few years ago at an OAC show when I was helping to sell a friends Garand. The friend wasn't a gun guy. The guy that helped is a pro with the M1. A Veteran Marine. When I get my gun to him to look at I'll be finding out what it's all about.

CMP armorers do not build Service ,Field grade mixmaster rifles, they do build the expert and special grades etc with new barrels, stocks etc

Last Edited:
CMP armorers do not build Service ,Field grade mixmaster rifles, they do build the expert and special grades etc with new barrels, stocks etc.
You are a good source for CMP Garand info! What happened to all the barreled receivers they use to get? Were they all sold as is? Thought a majority of them were completed into Rack, Service, and Correct grade guns.

CMP armorers do not build Service ,Field grade mixmaster rifles, they do build the expert and special grades etc with new barrels, stocks etc
Wait a second.........is this the Orlando?

Here is your trigger group installed....

M1 Action.jpg M1 Action 2.jpg

-E-

Last Edited:
I am sure they may get a few barreled receivers here and there but as a general rule they do not assemble rifles into Field and Service grades. They are mixmasters , rebuilt rifles as received from the Army

Last Edited:
Yup....you got a beautiful rifle. Field Grade and only a 2. Not to mention the metal's finish and the stock.

Just clean it/inspect it......grease and oil where appropriate. Having PASSED. Then, take her shooting.

Aloha, Mark
Clean it yes but don't treat it like it's a M16 is was told by a M1 custom maker.
Removing the gas cylinder too many times will wear out the splines inside the gas cylinder and the splines on the OD of the barrel. That will result in a loose front site eventually. I found out the hard way at a match. First 2 shots were on the target and the others went off target. Finished the match using my spotters M1. Swapped out gas cylinder and I was back on paper. Bore snake and grease on the op rod is all I do now, well most of the time lol

=
Its not unusual to get a CMP garand that the gas cylinder that has rotational movement. You dont need to replace the gas cylinder but simply peen the barrel splines to tighten fit. This was actually a armorer fix

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top