JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I went the diet/weight loss route. By eating a really low glycemic diet, I've been able to lose weight and my fasting glucose is in the "normal" range. I'm not getting any spikes because I'm not eating foods that would cause that. I'm not sure if I will ever become more sensitive to insulin, but I'm not hungry all of the time, so that's a good sign.
That's the best way. we now know that most patients at the time of diagnosis of type 2 diabetes have lost 50% of their pancreatic islet cells. These are the ones that make insulin. So type 2 isnt necessarily just a weight or diet issue. If you dont produce enough insulin when eating, you are always at a disadvantage at lowering sugars enough. This is why we have thin patients who eat well who still need medications. So we dont put anyone down who cant get good sugar control with just diet. I have a patient who cant get his A1c under 7 on his own without eating less than 800 calories a day which is basically a starvation diet. He wasnt fully type 1 (no insulin) but still needed some insulin.

every person is different, basically.

That's the best way. we now know that most patients at the time of diagnosis of type 2 diabetes have lost 50% of their pancreatic islet cells. These are the ones that make insulin. So type 2 isnt necessarily just a weight or diet issue. If you dont produce enough insulin when eating, you are always at a disadvantage at lowering sugars enough. This is why we have thin patients who eat well who still need medications. So we dont put anyone down who cant get good sugar control with just diet. I have a patient who cant get his A1c under 7 on his own without eating less than 800 calories a day which is basically a starvation diet. He wasnt fully type 1 (no insulin) but still needed some insulin.

Are you an endo?

I wonder if this patient had been placed on a supervised strict keto diet, if he still would have required meds? In many cases, I would guess it's easier to give a patient meds then to get them to comply with a hard to eat diet?

I wonder if this patient had been placed on a supervised strict keto diet, if he still would have required meds? In many cases, I would guess it's easier to give a patient meds then to get them to comply with a hard to eat diet?
The problem that most studies show with any type of fad diet (keto, previously atkins, etc) is that people get tired of them eventually. Any short term gains are offset by long term failures. People lose weight up front and then gain even more after they get tired of the diet.

Keto diets show the same in studies but they primarily look at short term benefit

"Historically, low-carbohydrate (CHO) and very-low-CHO diets have been used for weight loss. Recently, these diets have been promoted for type 2 diabetes (T2D) management. This scientific statement provides a comprehensive review of the current evidence base available from recent systematic reviews and meta-analyses on the effects of low-CHO and very-low-CHO diets on body weight, lipoprotein lipids, glycemic control, and other cardiometabolic risk factors. In addition, evidence on emerging risk factors and potential safety concerns of low-CHO and very-low-CHO diets, especially for high-risk individuals, such as those with genetic lipid disorders, was reviewed. Based on the evidence reviewed, low-CHO and very-low-CHO diets are not superior to other dietary approaches for weight loss. These diets may have advantages related to appetite control, triglyceride reduction, and reduction in the use of medication in T2D management. The evidence reviewed showed mixed effects on low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels with some studies showing an increase. There was no clear evidence for advantages regarding effects on other cardiometabolic risk markers. Minimal data are available regarding long-term (>2 years) efficacy and safety. Clinicians are encouraged to consider the evidence discussed in this scientific statement when counseling patients on the use of low-CHO and very-low-CHO diets."​

A lot of patients will take a pill over effort. Though there is an interesting variety
  • Patients who will not take any traditional medicine medicine no matter what (why are you seeing me?)
  • Patients who will not take any traditional medicine unless it is an antibiotic or a narcotic
  • Patients who will take every medicine except a cholesterol medicine or antidepressant
  • Patients who will take any medicine not in shot form.
  • patients who will take anything and everything, even of marginal benefit or potentially dangerous

I am going to go extra low on both fat and carbs for 72hrs beginning Thursday night and ending Sunday night. I want to mimic a Protein Sparing Modified Fast diet. If I lose a pound or two by Sunday, I may do this every other weekend to help assist in my weight loss goal. Diet for the 72hrs will be pretty much lean meat, eggs minus some yolks, lettuce/spinach, celery, and little bit of salad dressing.

As a test last night, I ate a can of tuna mixed with a teaspoon of ranch dressing and a teaspoon of yellow mustard, it wasn't great but it wasn't horrible. I will be aiming for at least 150 grams of protein and staying under 1200 total calories per day. Sunday night I will return to 1500 calorie a day goal. I am tracking calories again on My Fitness Pal. I will use this app to track my protein intake too.

I am going to go extra low on both fat and carbs for 72hrs beginning Thursday night and ending Sunday night. I want to mimic a Protein Sparing Modified Fast diet. If I lose a pound or two by Sunday, I may do this every other weekend to help assist in my weight loss goal. Diet for the 72hrs will be pretty much lean meat, eggs minus some yolks, lettuce/spinach, celery, and little bit of salad dressing.

As a test last night, I ate a can of tuna mixed with a teaspoon of ranch dressing and a teaspoon of yellow mustard, it wasn't great but it wasn't horrible. I will be aiming for at least 150 grams of protein and staying under 1200 total calories per day. Sunday night I will return to 1500 calorie a day goal. I am tracking calories again on My Fitness Pal. I will use this app to track my protein intake too.
Starting protein bonanza tonight. I weighed 215.6 this evening. I will update weight Sunday night.

Starting protein bonanza tonight. I weighed 215.6 this evening. I will update weight Sunday night.
The Protein Sparing Modified Fast diet works but I woke up with headaches each day and was still hungry after calorie limit was exhausted.

20220508_193645.jpg

The Protein Sparing Modified Fast diet works but I woke up with headaches each day and was still hungry after calorie limit was exhausted.

View attachment 1195257
Congrats on the loss!

Make sure you stay hydrated and check your blood sugar levels. Keep in mind the goal of losing weight should be to improve health and feel better, so if it's taking you in the other direction beyond a short temporary period you should consider switching gears.

IMO fat is better than protein for sustained weight loss. Fat is better where some vitamins are concerned, so at least have some fat with coconut oil being IMO preferred.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top