Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Questions about useless .22 ammo

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by teflon97239, Feb 27, 2011.

1. teflon97239

teflon97239 Portland, OR Well-Known Member

Winchester Xpert HV 22 ammo is cr*p. Bought half a dozen boxes a couple summers ago and finally got around to shooting some this year. Wish I'd bought any other brand instead.

Numerous FTF's and even more really weak ones. No bang, just a little "pfft." Countless stovepipes in semi-autos. 15-20% problem rate, at least. Maybe more since I can't really gauge velocity on the ones that seem to fire okay.

Verified it's not the gun as it was the same story in 3 rifles and a revolver, all of which continue to work just fine with Federal and everything else. Very disappointed that Winchester would sell such garbage. I'm afraid to try to use it up lest a weak round stops in the barrel and I fire another one behind it.

So...

Can this ammo be taken apart and the powder resused by someone who reloads? Is that safe to do? Is it even worth the time or energy? If it's worth any of that, I'll just give it to someone at the gun club.

Thanks in advance for whatever wisdom you guys can share.

crapammo.jpg

2. actionflies

actionflies Beaverton, Oregon Member

Just give it to someone or throw it away. It's not worth taking apart for the powder since you don't know what kind of powder it is and might be dangerous because it's a rimfire.

3. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

I usually just demill this stuff to recover the lead bullets. I take a heavy cast iron dutch oven, put it on top of my cajun cooker, turn the flame on, and put a brick on top. then come back after the popping stops, skim off the brass, and use the lead to make bullets.

You could also take it out to the desert and set it on fire. Just try to be 20+feet away.

Or you could take it to the local PD, and ask them to dispose of it.

4. Mica

Mica Eugene Active Member

Did you contact winchester to see if you could get some kinda reimbursement. I am just courious to see how much they stand behind a product with there name on it.

5. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

I always start with just one box of any 22 ammo and see how it works for any given gun.
    Then buy in bulk.

Don't ya just love it when it goes BANG BANG BANG pfft? Great quality control.

Most gun ranges would have a way to dispose of this ,no?

6. teflon97239

teflon97239 Portland, OR Well-Known Member

Thanks for steering me that way Mica!

I never did anything (but complain here) because I kept picturing those ubiquitous "No Returns on Ammo" signs, and it had been at least 2 years. Anyhow, I called Winchester a month ago and they told me to package it for free UPS pickup. I got a letter of receipt a couple weeks ago and a handful of free ammo certificates in the mail today (which I will redeem for centerfire ammo that I already know and trust). Covered my original investment on 6 boxes of 22, and then some.

Winchester stepped up!

7. jer fly

jer fly cottage grove Member

Good to know. Ive had similar problems with other cheap 22 ammo.

8. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I sure wouldn't give it to anyone. And then what have them plug a bore and some kid get hurt?

Nah either shoot it out in a single shot bolt action or pull the lead and demil it.

9. turq

turq Molino,oregon Member

I bought the "white box" 1280fps with 36gr. plated HP in a 235 rimfire cartridges BOX. It failed to cycle my new Bersa pistol. I thought it was just under power for that pistol till this thread. 1280fps is fast and with a 36gr VS 40gr [that works great at less speed] I'm a little suspect of the ammo. I'll shoot it thru my Bolt gun. Thanks...

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011