JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Winchester Xpert HV 22 ammo is cr*p. Bought half a dozen boxes a couple summers ago and finally got around to shooting some this year. Wish I'd bought any other brand instead.

Numerous FTF's and even more really weak ones. No bang, just a little "pfft." Countless stovepipes in semi-autos. 15-20% problem rate, at least. Maybe more since I can't really gauge velocity on the ones that seem to fire okay.

Verified it's not the gun as it was the same story in 3 rifles and a revolver, all of which continue to work just fine with Federal and everything else. Very disappointed that Winchester would sell such garbage. I'm afraid to try to use it up lest a weak round stops in the barrel and I fire another one behind it.

So...

Can this ammo be taken apart and the powder resused by someone who reloads? Is that safe to do? Is it even worth the time or energy? If it's worth any of that, I'll just give it to someone at the gun club.

Thanks in advance for whatever wisdom you guys can share.

crapammo.jpg

I usually just demill this stuff to recover the lead bullets. I take a heavy cast iron dutch oven, put it on top of my cajun cooker, turn the flame on, and put a brick on top. then come back after the popping stops, skim off the brass, and use the lead to make bullets.

You could also take it out to the desert and set it on fire. Just try to be 20+feet away.

Or you could take it to the local PD, and ask them to dispose of it.

Did you contact winchester to see if you could get some kinda reimbursement. I am just courious to see how much they stand behind a product with there name on it.

I always start with just one box of any 22 ammo and see how it works for any given gun.
Then buy in bulk.

Don't ya just love it when it goes BANG BANG BANG pfft? Great quality control.

Most gun ranges would have a way to dispose of this ,no?

Did you contact winchester to see if you could get some kinda reimbursement. I am just courious to see how much they stand behind a product with there name on it.

Thanks for steering me that way Mica!

I never did anything (but complain here) because I kept picturing those ubiquitous "No Returns on Ammo" signs, and it had been at least 2 years. Anyhow, I called Winchester a month ago and they told me to package it for free UPS pickup. I got a letter of receipt a couple weeks ago and a handful of free ammo certificates in the mail today (which I will redeem for centerfire ammo that I already know and trust). Covered my original investment on 6 boxes of 22, and then some.

Winchester stepped up!

I sure wouldn't give it to anyone. And then what have them plug a bore and some kid get hurt?

Nah either shoot it out in a single shot bolt action or pull the lead and demil it.

I bought the "white box" 1280fps with 36gr. plated HP in a 235 rimfire cartridges BOX. It failed to cycle my new Bersa pistol. I thought it was just under power for that pistol till this thread. 1280fps is fast and with a 36gr VS 40gr [that works great at less speed] I'm a little suspect of the ammo. I'll shoot it thru my Bolt gun. Thanks...

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads