JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would like to share the love however I am putting together an informational book on the subject. I will tell you that you have to ask the officer a specific question and he is duty bound to answer in a particular way and based on his answer you get out of the ticket because it makes the ticket an illegal document.

You guys will know when I am done. I'll post it on here for sale. I might offer a reduced price to those on this forum.

If asking you to handle a firearms while it was late or you were sleepy was a stupid thing, wouldn't it be stupid for you to carry it while being tired as well?

I understand your concern, but when the police stop you they must make it safe for them while they have you stopped. Just because you have a permit doesn't mean you won't shoot them, Right?

I would gladly hand my gn over to them. If, however, they gave some BS reason why I couldn't have it back, I would be quite furious..
I do see you point but again you need to see they have a right to be in a safe situation.

Thanks for posting the situation though great topic.

I have read through this entire thread and here is what I am adding:

First of all keep your CWP seperate from your license. I learned this many years ago when I used to keep it right behind my license. When I pulled out the license the officer saw the CWP and it went from there.

In Washington, you are do not have to inform an officer that you have either a CWP or handgun on your person. That said though, if asked to step out of your vehicle it might be a wise decision to inform the officer that you have a CWP and let him direct you from there.

If asked if you have any weapons on you reply by saing, "I have a CWP." Let the officer take it from there.

If asked to hand over your handgun politely say, "I do not feel comfortable being disarmed and you are unfamiliar with my handgun. It is perfectly safe in its holster." I handed my handgun over once and the office dropped it causing quite a bit of damage. The gun cost me $400, the quote to repair was $150 and the PD lawer tells me that the blue book value on the gun was $110 so they offered me $110 even though I showed them several similar guns for sale for $325.

If the officer wants to push the issue of him taking possesion of your handgun ask if it is a request or a lawfull order. Then you take it from there.

Always stand up for your rights! I will take any ticket an officer wants to write. I have beaten every ticket issued to me ever since I learned about a certain point of law. One judge even responded to me, "Based on your arguement, you can get out of any ticket issued to you." I played dumb and responded with, "I never thought about that. Thanks for pointing that out!" LMAO

JMHO

Ok, next time any of you get pulled over and you pull that, your unfamilar with my gun, no I'm not giving it to you. Let me know how that works out for you.

Oh, and tell me how the pepper spray taste, LOL!

I'm sorry, but that's hilarious.

Police have the right, and obligation to make their situation safe for them and you, and anyone else that might be around.
Just make sure you guys aren't aren't citing the law just to be defiant, and show those bullies they can't pick on you anymore.
Remember Police only reflect the attitude their given. If you respectful to them they are respectful to you.

Again GOOD LUCK.

You must be a cop?

Tim

No not even close. I have several friends that are and some family.

One of my family worked undercover in the narcotics dept and now he has a half a dozen people that want to kill him cause he busted them. The people he busted were trying to find where he lived and who his family was. He's got two small kids. I personally would like to have him be around a while so he can see them grow up. But of course some people would rather complain about things that really don't violate you in any way, and really doesn't inconvenience you at all. But if you want to only think of yourself. That's cool too.
Personally I think that's why our country is going in a horrible direction.

We need to fight for our rights, but there's fighting to keep your rights and there's just wanting to complain about "the man" holding you down.

Ok, next time any of you get pulled over and you pull that, your unfamilar with my gun, no I'm not giving it to you. Let me know how that works out for you.

I'm sorry, but that's hilarious.

Police have the right, and obligation to make their situation safe for them and you, and anyone else that might be around.
Just make sure you guys aren't aren't citing the law just to be defiant, and show those bullies they can't pick on you anymore.
Remember Police only reflect the attitude their given. If you respectful to them they are respectful to you.

Again GOOD LUCK.

I agree, but i wish someone would explain how it is safer for a cop to have me hand him my gun than it is for me to keep my hands off my gun? Logic dictates it is safer for us both if i keep my hands OFF my gun. If i were a bad guy, it would be alot easier for me to go ahead and shoot the LEO if i have my hands on my gun as opposed to my hands off my gun, don't you think?
Again, the LEO may have the right to ask me to hand it to him, but it is still stupid of him to do so, unless his gun is drawn and pointed at me...duh...

True, But it's always the unepected that you have to worry about. If the LEO asks you for it, at least he is ready if you shoot him, rather than him running you and getting shot walking back to hand you you ID. Either way they are at the defensive from jump so I would rather ease their awareness then have them jump and shoot me cause I was reaching a gummy bear I dropped under the seat.

I have been pulled over with my CWP and had a gun on me, I told the LEO before he said anything, and he checked my ID ran me and let me go. All he did was ask me where it was and not to touch it. I kept my hands on the wheel the entire time. No problems.
But if they ever asked me for it I would glady hand it over.
If something went down, I would either ask for other officers to be there, or hit the gas and get the **** out of there.
The police have to act in every situation that the person their dealing with is going to kill them, the day they don't will most likely be the day they don't come home.

It's sad and we may be inconvenienced, but they are risking their life to ensure we don't see anarchy. Not to save my life, but to be sure as many wack jobs are off the streets as possible.
So instead of harassing them more than they already get, I just like to say Thank you.

To each is their own.

I'm tired of hearing the same old story how a cops life is always in danger and how they must be allowed to violate our rights in order to save their own lives.

As I have said before on this thread, show me where a cop has been shot with a personhaving a valid ccw permit?

The police have every right of their own to make sure they go home at night, however, that does not give them any permissions to go out and stomp all over everyone else in the process. Too often, this is what is happening. The police have been allowed to lobby into existence laws such as interferring with police and obstructing police etc. So, you can be walking down the street and a cop tells you to stop walking down the street because he feels like it and you refuse and all of the sudden you are under arrest for interferring with the cop. It does not matter that the first order was unlawful, just that you did not do what the cop thought you should do.

Much of the discussion on here has been about police opinions and what the police SHOULD be allowed to do, not necessarily what is right. I like the idea of the booklet and I will be curious to read it and see what it has to offer. If you truly value your rights and you value the right to carry firearms, you had better pay attention to what the cops are up to. If you do not, you may one day lose that right!

Tim

If you respectful to them they are respectful to you.

Clearconscience, First of all I don't want to start anything here but it would be nice if you are going to quote something that someone said, especially if its me that you are quoting, if first you get the quote correct and secondly don't try to make any inferences to justify a point that you make later. No where did I say to tell the officer "No, I'm not giving it to you." What I said is, "I do not feel comfortable being disarmed and you are unfamiliar with my handgun. It is perfectly safe in its holster." If, after saying this to any officer, they were to pull out their pepper spay and spray you I would think them too unstable to hold their job. I guess I made the mistake of not thinking of every possable in and out of the situation and stating so in my post. OF COURSE the entire time you are talking with the officer you are calm and respectful! Oh yeah, keep your hands on the wheel. It irritates me when people get so nit picky with what other people say in forums. We are trying to convay a thought to the other readers without writing an entire book. By the way, I have several friends that are police officers and I have run alot of questions and sinerios by them. If I was to mention one of the ones I know 99% of the people on here would recognise his name immediately. Another thing that bugs me is that people think that just because a LEO, in a non-confrontational setting, asks you to do something that you have to instantly obey what he says. You do have the right to ask questions of the officer and of course in a calm and respectful manner. Just because a LEO says or asks something does not mean that it is lawfull or mandatory.

Clearconscience, First of all I don't want to start anything here but it would be nice if you are going to quote something that someone said, especially if its me that you are quoting, if first you get the quote correct and secondly don't try to make any inferences to justify a point that you make later. No where did I say to tell the officer "No, I'm not giving it to you." What I said is, "I do not feel comfortable being disarmed and you are unfamiliar with my handgun. It is perfectly safe in its holster." If, after saying this to any officer, they were to pull out their pepper spay and spray you I would think them too unstable to hold their job. I guess I made the mistake of not thinking of every possable in and out of the situation and stating so in my post. OF COURSE the entire time you are talking with the officer you are calm and respectful! Oh yeah, keep your hands on the wheel. It irritates me when people get so nit picky with what other people say in forums. We are trying to convay a thought to the other readers without writing an entire book. By the way, I have several friends that are police officers and I have run alot of questions and sinerios by them. If I was to mention one of the ones I know 99% of the people on here would recognise his name immediately. Another thing that bugs me is that people think that just because a LEO, in a non-confrontational setting, asks you to do something that you have to instantly obey what he says. You do have the right to ask questions of the officer and of course in a calm and respectful manner. Just because a LEO says or asks something does not mean that it is lawfull or mandatory.

Look I'm not saying let LEOs stomp on your ights, but don't be confrontational. And yeah ask questions, and I will be the first to admit police do not always know the law. Their human. And I don't need to cite any word on this forum or any where else that a cop was shot by someone with a CWP. But are you saying because people have a CWP they are a good person or won't shoot you? That's a silly statement.

All I'm saying is LEOs have a tough job and our world/society is so F-d up we can't say any word in this language that won't get someone's panties in a bunch. And no matter what the LEOs do their wrong and their violating someone's rights.
Our society is pushing to one of two sides, anachy or gov't control.
There's nothig you can do about it.
And were all here for the same reason, but yet were arguing like school girls.

Either way, no matter your opinion I respect you and I obviously have a strong opinion that I love to share. I have a big place in my heart for the LEOs and a lot of respect and can't see why anyone would be so negative towards them. I understand there's always bad apples, but the majority are good people and for the crap they put up with I couldn't imagine having to put up with that.
I would definetly trample on someone's rights.

In Oregon, a Concealed Carry Holder is legally required to temporarily surrender his or her weapon for inspection by a law enforcement officer.

show me where it says that.

STOP !

I would like to hear from any LEO's in this thread on a subject matter i found disturbing.

This is open to anyone who can answer it.

Can you delineate concisely what a 4200 character profile is
How it is used
why and how it is accessed

and do you as an OLE find all info in it to be of factual truth and can be relied upon.

After any answers are given
I will return with some facts delineating exact life experience concerning
false information booted up in a 4200 character profile i am very familiar with.

For other members, if you wish to know whether you have such a federal file
you can enter any Federal Courthouse and file for discovery for less then $20.

Almost <---<< ( note the term almost) any LEO can run an NCIC and access
the 4200 files of an individual.
You as a citizen may be extremely surprised to find out you have one, and what it is, as well as what is in it.

How far back the records go in coverage of your life?
Try Kindergarten in some cases as i have witnessed. Your normally First contact with government controlled institution was Kindergarten in a public school.
Rog'

your 4200 file and whether or not it exsists has absolutely nothing to do with the topic of this thread. you should start your own thread so this one can stay on track.

And I don't need to cite any word on this forum or any where else that a cop was shot by someone with a CWP. But are you saying because people have a CWP they are a good person or won't shoot you? That's a silly statement.

Yeah, there was that gang reference that the clean member of the gang got the CWP and carried for the gang. Those gang bangers will shoot cops. Probably with a gangster Glock no less....with a chrome slide with gold grips. But then I'm profiling...my bad.:D

CWP's don't mean that you won't commit a crime, it is that you haven't committed a crime. (or haven't been caught and convicted of a crime) Having additional paperwork filed with the state also works under the assumption that you're taking additional actions to ensure that you are being legal in CC. So you might not be a bad guy, but I worry a whole lot more about the guy who's carrying illegally than the guy that is.

I would definetly trample on someone's rights.

I am very concerned with this statement and the context in which it is used.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top