JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My wife is selling a handgun to a buddy in Oregon. we live in WA, Do I need to get them both to an Oregon FFL to perform the interstate transfer or is there a non-FFL way to do it if they both do the paperwork? Hate to add $60 for a signature then pay for his BC on top of that.....

Thanks for your quick response! Can I get a recommendation for reasonable FFL in Portland to run the transfer through, I am very interested in following the legal path. The one FFL I called told me $65 to run the transfer, That is nearly double what my local FFL here in Washington charges to do the same thing...

J & B Firearm Sales
(503) 260-8326
7075 SE Tuscany Way
Portland, OR. 97267
Brad Wanlass

he is a great guy to deal with, have had many transfers and purchases with him.

Hi iamme,

That's quite a stretch.. "... stop trying to skirt the law.." It's just a question..

I did not even ask the question,

I have no issue with the $20 and and planning to pay it. Is it not the purpose of this forum to help folks.. The FFL I talked to said $60 which I thought was high when my experience in Washington State. Just a 'No' may have been a far more prudent answer....

My $0.02, If you care...

Hi All,
But you can not just drive the weapon over state line it must be deliver by Common Carrier Not US Potal Service. As I called the ATF.
As I am a Common Carrier and was going to move some firearms. Any one with a MMC/ICC can do it.
Also Gun Brokers in Clackamas will do it for you for the cost of the back ground check.
Hope this Helps,
Tony Portland, Oregon Area

O..M..G....
Is your friend going to or has he committed a felon?
You obviously trust him enough to sell him a gun......

Take it to your friends house and loan it to him for...say...100 years.
No ATF paper work needed.
Get hostile,tell me what a felon I am but tell me if I loaned a buddy a gun OR happened to leave it at his residence and never retrieved it, I would be committing a felony.
Prove to me this doesn't happen daily.

My advice, don't take any advice from anyone on the internet (irony in full tilt.) I would suggest you look at the ATF website and or call them. I may also suggest that a quick conversation with an attorney who is familiar with the subject may either by worth the money or, I suspect, they would not charge you.

Regards

Can someone GIVE a firearm to someone in an adjacent state without going through an FFL?

If your talking about gifting a firearm to someone in a different state then I don't believe so. I'm not 100% correct but I would assume (haha) that all transfer laws would have to be followed.

Anyone care to answer my question?

The ways the laws are written, my understanding from all the reading I have done is, if a firearms is being transferred from an owner in one state to an owner in another, it needs to be done via a dealer whether you are buying, recieving from an estate, whatever.

There are times folks at the ATF will give you different answers, just like police officers. There are people on the internet that will tell you anything you want to hear.

I think of it this way, a transfer is cheap insurance. Proving you are right in a court of law could cost you $100k. Be safe, be conservative.

I think of it this way, a transfer is cheap insurance. Proving you are right in a court of law could cost you $100k. Be safe, be conservative.
They should be proving you were wrong, but that's another conversation altogether.

As stated above, only way I know of, is in a will, and after you die.

A transfer of ownership between people in two different states requires and FFL. It doesn't require a sale, or taxes, just requires an FFL.

Now, I know that for a handgun. What I don't know is if it is the same for a rifle.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top