JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My wife is selling a handgun to a buddy in Oregon. we live in WA, Do I need to get them both to an Oregon FFL to perform the interstate transfer or is there a non-FFL way to do it if they both do the paperwork? Hate to add $60 for a signature then pay for his BC on top of that.....

Yes, get them both to an FFL, see below net carrier's response for what I did in the same situation....

Hi All,
But you can not just drive the weapon over state line it must be deliver by Common Carrier Not US Potal Service. As I called the ATF.
As I am a Common Carrier and was going to move some firearms. Any one with a MMC/ICC can do it.
Also Gun Brokers in Clackamas will do it for you for the cost of the back ground check.
Hope this Helps,
Tony Portland, Oregon Area

Tony, I purchased a handgun from a Vanc. WA resident when he brought it to A Cut Above Pawn in Beaverton.

He brought it to A Cut Above, handed it to the clerk, we filled out the required paperwork, the clerk called in the BG Check on me, got the OK on the BG check, I handed the money to the seller, paid A Cut Above for the BG check and transfer, and walked out with my new handgun.

A WA resident can deliver a gun to an OR FFL. It "DOES NOT" have to be delivered by common carrier.

A Cut Above charges $10 for BG Fee, and $10 transfer for a total of $20.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Capitalism is BO$$!!!

Couple questions on this one, not to hijack. I was a OR resident and bought a handgun, since then I have moved to WA and have had a couple weapons given to my wife and I from my parents, what is the protocol for getting everything in my/her name?

A bequest is the only inter-state transfer that doesn't require an FFL. Someone up above was incorrect about this.

When my dad passed away down in Louisiana, he had a firearm (pistol) at the house. He passed from a sudden heart attack and wasn't found for a couple days- the local police were called in and found the firearm, secured it against theivery, and when I went to claim his effects, they handed it to me and I drove home to Washington with it. This was before I had my FFL.

Youngblood: Washington doesn't require any registration of firearms transferred in private transactions (whether sales or gifts). The only record is if you buy it from an FFL because we are required to keep records of all firearms sales and file a form for pistol transfers with the local police. As long as they gave you the firearms while you lived in the same state (hint) as them, it's all legal. You have no further requirements.

Thanks for everyone's help!

The update...

Last weekend my wife took her handgun to Cut Above Pawn.. They were fast and friendly performing the transfer to the buyer who met us there. He paid a $10 transfer fee, $10 BC..

Mil

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top