JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am putting together GHB (get home bags) for my family members and I would like to include some sunscreen but I want something that is completely stable which leaves out modern chemical sunscreens that all expire in 2-3 years.

Old-school Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide would probably do the trick but I can't find them. Any pointers on this?

Coconut oil has anti uv properties.

As well as being stable for a long time and has hundreds of other uses.

Anti bacterial.

Good source of good fat.

It breathes as opposed to most other oils - I use it exclusively to heal large tattoos, I don't use any of that other commercial garbage and don't get pimples or infections IMO because of that.

Etc, etc.

Light long sleeve shirts, pants and a hat will cover most of you.

All the zinc oxides I can find have a shelf life. I suppose I could get the powder and make a paste as needed. I remember my dad in the 60s using a small tube of pure white zinc on his nose.
Guess I may have to settle for a ball cap

th?id=OIP.M6fd258b794707bca5416775e0a0895a1o0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=243&h=154.jpg

I wear a boonie hat pretty much from March to October. Don't use any sun screen at all and work outside at least 4 hours to 9 hours each day. I like a hat versus sunscreen, just makes it easier.

Probably abit better since it affords additional protection against fatigue as well. I have worked outside during the spring summer and fall and got into big hats over 30 years ago, and then my Guatamalun (sp) workers go me into long sleeves. I still did shorts though. Never had a problem. Keeping your ears, neck and face covered with brims really cuts down on the fatigue factor. Then go with one of those polymer bandanas that you wet down and wear around the neck, cools your cartoid artery.

Took a lesson from my boys in their military garb which protects them quite well, and the fact they will move to even a small spot of shade for even a few seconds if they have the chance.

Hats and long sleeves are good (not to mention sunglasses), but don't forget reflected sunlight.

Snow and water can cause sunburns as well as direct sunlight. Some other surfaces can also.

I come from a family of farmers who worked in the fields from a young age before sunscreen was much of anything (at best maybe SPF 2 to 4, if at all).

My grandfather had skin cancer and he always wore wide brimmed hats and long sleeves for as long as I can remember (grandma always reminded him when he didn't).

My brothers and I, all about 60 or 60 plus, all have signs of sun spots on our arms and some on our faces (I am the worst). I have worn hats for decades but forget about the long sleeves from time to time.

I put sun screen in my GHB and have it at home. I get the highest SPF I can, but I should probably get some zinc oxide too. You also probably should get some water resistant sunscreen.

Hats and long sleeves are good (not to mention sunglasses), but don't forget reflected sunlight.

Snow and water can cause sunburns as well as direct sunlight. Some other surfaces can also.

I come from a family of farmers who worked in the fields from a young age before sunscreen was much of anything (at best maybe SPF 2 to 4, if at all).

My grandfather had skin cancer and he always wore wide brimmed hats and long sleeves for as long as I can remember (grandma always reminded him when he didn't).

My brothers and I, all about 60 or 60 plus, all have signs of sun spots on our arms and some on our faces (I am the worst). I have worn hats for decades but forget about the long sleeves from time to time.

I put sun screen in my GHB and have it at home. I get the highest SPF I can, but I should probably get some zinc oxide too. You also probably should get some water resistant sunscreen.

Take it or leave it, just thought I'd toss this in.

My mom and uncle grew up in AZ and southern CA.

They spent tons of time outside and he has a ton of sun spots and she doesn't have one.

Difference is she moisturizes with coconut oil after showering every day.

I would try it on your arms for a few months if you would want to try to reduce them.

Or it could be a male female thing but I grew up on the equator and have yet to develop any skin issues (I tan into the browns and have rarely used sunscreen in my life - something I regret a bit) and use CO almost everyday.

I went to big hats and long sleeves. I have been in the sun,working construction,too many years to keep testing it. The long sleeves soak up the sweat and keep you cool.
Joe13 look at how most folks in sunny areas,besides SoCal,wear long sleazed and big hats. Or rags....:rolleyes: :D
I believe the sun spots has more to do with your skin than what you put on it. Kinda like stretch marks. One gal will swear by something cause she never got them and the next never used any thing with the same results.

Coconut oil has anti uv properties.

As well as being stable for a long time and has hundreds of other uses.

Anti bacterial.

Good source of good fat.

It breathes as opposed to most other oils - I use it exclusively to heal large tattoos, I don't use any of that other commercial garbage and don't get pimples or infections IMO because of that.

Etc, etc.

Light long sleeve shirts, pants and a hat will cover most of you.
Check with a pharmacist, or REI

I went to big hats and long sleeves. I have been in the sun,working construction,too many years to keep testing it. The long sleeves soak up the sweat and keep you cool.
Joe13 look at how most folks in sunny areas,besides SoCal,wear long sleazed and big hats. Or rags....:rolleyes: :D
I believe the sun spots has more to do with your skin than what you put on it. Kinda like stretch marks. One gal will swear by something cause she never got them and the next never used any thing with the same results.

Well it is your largest organ, so it seems like there would be some ways to help preserve it and improve it's health. Maybe its not coconut oil only but hydrating your skin can go a long way to keeping it healthy.

I have (choose) to use it to keep my tatts looking like they were done last week so I apply it regularly anyway.

They have some really nice 100% UVA & UVB resistant clothing now too. Too expensive to work in but otherwise they are super light and keep you very cool.

It may also be genetics.

Of course, some of us are more prone to skin damage from the sun than others. My whole family is fair skinned - being German/French/Scottish does that. There is more than one red head with freckles in my family, including my younger brother, an uncle and an aunt.

My skin damage is mostly on my arms and head - which have taken the most sun exposure.

So lessening sun exposure makes sense to me.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top