JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Anyone can make a soup, but it takes a saucier (saute chef) to make the recipe in post #59.

Although the judges do hand out a One Point Demerit for the use of an Immersion Blender.
While I appreciate good food, if SHTF I am not going to worry too much about the difference between my mediocre cooking and haute cuisine.

Yesterday I was hungry at about 2 PM because I had not had my lunch while running errands much of the day. I happened to be in Costco, so I grabbed their $1.50 hot dog with lemonade/Mtn Dew and got a smoothie as an extra treat.

I survived (barely) and did not complain that the hot dog wasn't roasted, it was just heated, or that the bun wasn't toasted as I prefer, or that the mustard was plain yellow and that they no longer have onions in their condiments. It filled my stomach and provided the energy I needed to continue.

Your ideas about people really revolve around an "us and them" paradigm that causes some of you to hold some very silly beliefs.
841ea0e8926de51bcf19bca5961aca6c.jpg

Your ideas about people really revolve around an "us and them" paradigm that causes some of you to hold some very silly beliefs.
I merely made a statement of fact backed up by personal experience: There are people who don't know how food is really made and many or even most don't really care.
Are you saying that is not a true statement? What very silly belief am I expounding here? What is your proof that my statement is false?

If you're on the wet side of the region... learn how to raise/prepare snails for food.
Most garden snails are great for eating, but like crayfish you gotta know how to purge/prep them first. You can round up a large breeding herd to maintain a good supply, even if you live in an apartment.

I'm pretty sure you won't see them over-hunted as quickly as the local fauna with more than a single foot will be.

Snails (Helix aspersa) for eating, arrived in the United States (California) with Italian immigration (vintners) in the 1850's. Whether by immigrants or by consumers, some of them escaped (STAMPEDE ??), and it didn't take long for them to be all over the country.
CAUTION- Not to be confused with another escaping invasive species. Californicus Liberalucus currently over-running many free States...they're to bitter and many are poisonous!

Last Edited:
So in my left handed back country kind of a way those that know, know that ammo stacked deep is great but when you've been outside in the cold and muddy for whatever reason a hot cup of soup will change your day and outlook.

So in my left handed back country kind of a way those that know, know that ammo stacked deep is great but when you've been outside in the cold and muddy for whatever reason a hot cup of soup will change your day and outlook.
Yup.

Food is fuel. My go to saying.

But food is also much more. Food is morale; good food raises it, bad food can actually lower it. Food is comfort. Food is drugs lol, but really what we know now is that different foods affect the way you feel and perceive the world. Food can be ritual, bonding, something "we" don't do much anymore really. Mostly affected now, it's most often just a selling point in restaurant advertising than a real thing between people. Blame affluence.

There's a reason that "breaking bread" has been a thing cross cultures for thousands of years, that "feasts" were a big deal again across cultures for millennia. That reason is that starvation has been the normal lot of humans until very recently. We've lost that (and make no mistake, I'm really glad!!!!) and have also lost an appreciation of food that came with knowing it may not be there tomorrow.

Preparing and serving food can be a lot more than just refueling.

Yup.

Food is fuel. My go to saying.

But food is also much more. Food is morale; good food raises it, bad food can actually lower it. Food is comfort. Food is drugs lol, but really what we know now is that different foods affect the way you feel and perceive the world. Food can be ritual, bonding, something "we" don't do much anymore really. Mostly affected now, it's most often just a selling point in restaurant advertising than a real thing between people. Blame affluence.

There's a reason that "breaking bread" has been a thing cross cultures for thousands of years, that "feasts" were a big deal again across cultures for millennia. That reason is that starvation has been the normal lot of humans until very recently. We've lost that (and make no mistake, I'm really glad!!!!) and have also lost an appreciation of food that came with knowing it may not be there tomorrow.

Preparing and serving food can be a lot more than just refueling.
Well said :s0155:

In my experience, yes.

And IMO, I am not so picky when I am hungry/cold/tired.

E.G., this is one of my favorites that costs 80 cents per meal:

41u16yoS8dL.jpg
When I can find it (for some reason the Pad Thai flavor is hard to find), if I can't, then I just add some peanut butter and mix it in.

Having some diversity is good, both for morale and health, so I do that too.

Working in the Coast range in the winter time for years convinced me of the value of a hot bowl of soup for lunch. Way mo' betta than a cold soggy bologna and cheese sandwich.

I am a very mechanical guy. I can fix just about anything. I have found over the years that I can usually find someone that needs something fixed and will trade something to eat for it!
I can cook well enough that I won't starve But I much prefer to work on broken things than cook.
I grew up on a farm but I don't believe I could grow a garden that would feed us for long on my current property. I do grow onions , Garlic, squash, etc. But if I had to depend on it I would have to spend serious time defending it from Squirrels ,deer, and Racoons! Not a very good use of my time in a SHTF time. DR

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top