JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I get the be ready idea but my question is how many actually know how to cook a meal from scratch? What's going to happen when restaurants, grub-hub and microwaves don't work anymore?
And on a more advanced level, how many have Hunter/Gather skills or even grow a garden?

I doubt people living off restaurants, GrubHub and microwave dinners have the sense to do a modicum of preparation for possible hard times.

I'd never seen or heard of Grub-Hub before Covid and that lead to the question. How many people can take a handful of Beans, some Herbs, an Onion, a peice of meat and make soup today without electricity?

Who knows. Many city-folks probably can't, but I think most people who are reading your post can. My kids can, that's all I really care about.
Yup, this. We can all cook from scratch. And over fire.

Gardening is a thing, lot's of people can grow things. Very few could grow enough to keep them alive for a sustained time (like a year).

As for hunter/gatherer, I doubt one in a thousand Americans could do it and not starve to death pretty quickly.

I am certain that many of "us" that know how to shoot may have that knowledge.

I am certain ALL of "us" that are planning on surviving recognize that will be a skill set needed in the Thunderdome.

Which just made me realize - SOME of us learned how to cook and shoot as a part of growing up. Thanks Mom and Dad.

Some of us can cook. Like this evening for example.
D0A43DD2-897B-40D2-A054-255C27415961.jpeg

Anyone who can "grill" can of course cook all the stuff that fits there. Beans and such? I have worked with a few who could not boil water but if they are that stupid I would have to hope they do not own a gun. I have a couple of those emergency food set ups that are supposed to be good for decades. They have instructions on them so simple that again if someone can't follow them I hope they do not own a gun. As for garden. They are great, food is great but, if things fall apart to the point there is no food for weeks or months the garden is going to be the least of the problems.

Anyone who can "grill" can of course cook all the stuff that fits there. Beans and such? I have worked with a few who could not boil water but if they are that stupid I would have to hope they do not own a gun. I have a couple of those emergency food set ups that are supposed to be good for decades. They have instructions on them so simple that again if someone can't follow them I hope they do not own a gun. As for garden. They are great, food is great but, if things fall apart to the point there is no food for weeks or months the garden is going to be the least of the problems.
Poptarts have instructions for a reason…lol

from the "Urban Hipster's Emergency Guide"
How To Expertly Prepare Delicious SHTF Home Cooked Meals:

1- Don't feed anyone anything for 3 days
2- open large can of beans
3- give everyone a spoon
4- pass can of beans around in a clockwise direction
5- your family/comrades will have tasted nothing better...ever

1- Don't feed anyone anything for another 3 days
2- open large can of beans
3- give everyone a spoon
4- pass can of beans around in a counter-clockwise direction
5- your family/comrades will have tasted nothing better...ever (since "clockwise day")

Optional... if a warm meal is desired, place the (unopened, stupid!) can under armpit for 3 hrs (take turns, get the kids in on the fun!)

I for one will put all my energy into saving and making sure that Mrs. Caveman is safe and well stocked with the essentials that she needs to feed Mr. Caveman.
I surely can kill it and grill it but Man cannot live on meat alone…

I made soup from scratch yesterday, in actuality to save the Seahawks from another loss .
Let me explain. In 2018 I came to the conclusion that if I actually watched a game on tv that I was likely to cause the home team to lose. I can't explain the science, just know that it's true.
Much like anything else in my life, I tend to forget this simple fact. So I sat down yesterday at 1 pm to watch the game.
Within a minute and change, I realized that I was dooming the hawks. So I retreated to the kitchen with no idea what to make for dinner, but needing to kill as much time as possible. Results:
2 lbs of bacon cooked off for quick breakfasts this week, and a big ol pot of zucchini and meatball soup (light tomato base). No stinkin recipe, just knowing what goes with what and having basics ingrained in my cortex ( mise en place , caramelizing the onions, deglazing the pan, etc.)

I did cheat a little with the soup base , but it's not exactly Iron Chef so...

Um, I can do those.
Don't have a garden currently, and don't really "gather" these days, but I made some black pepper/rosemary/venison/pig sausage. I haven't forgotten how, though. I usually go up to the hills a time or two a year to get berries and mushrooms. Sometimes some tansy for tea. Dandelion root, too.
I know a few folks that make clear liquor, too. But that's just for sanitizer purposes.

928742D7-EBE4-49B8-AE4F-C52FE9DCE3CB.jpeg

Yup, this. We can all cook from scratch. And over fire.

Gardening is a thing, lot's of people can grow things. Very few could grow enough to keep them alive for a sustained time (like a year).

As for hunter/gatherer, I doubt one in a thousand Americans could do it and not starve to death pretty quickly.
I think that along with knowing how to grow enough to feed yourself for a year one should learn about planting in a rotation, so that their garden works year round.

Um, I can do those.
Don't have a garden currently, and don't really "gather" these days, but I made some black pepper/rosemary/venison/pig sausage. I haven't forgotten how, though. I usually go up to the hills a time or two a year to get berries and mushrooms. Sometimes some tansy for tea. Dandelion root, too.
I know a few folks that make clear liquor, too. But that's just for sanitizer purposes.

View attachment 1044216
Your Williams Sonoma pan looks odd on that apartment stovetop.
Points for the handmade brats tho.

Updated 10 minutes later.
Good lord, I'm starving for a brat and mustard with Yukon golds on the side now .

Last Edited:
Who couldn't make soup after a 30 second discussion with someone who can?

I feel like this question is like supposing people with zippers can't learn to use buttons. Soup is about the simplest cooking there is.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top