Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Question: gun safes and 2nd floors

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by SonicBlue03, Apr 13, 2009.

1. SonicBlue03

SonicBlue03 Snohomish Well-Known Member

For the most part I've been subsisting with smaller, lighter safes bolted to studs in the house. 1) It's been easier to cart up the stairs myself, and 2) most of my guns are still 250 miles away locked in the family vault.

Since I'm finally to the point of consolidating my various things, I've been looking at a much bigger safe. Something to also include the wife's guns.

So here's my question - what's the absolute biggest safe you'd put on a second floor of a dwelling? Construction is 2005. I found a safe that will work that's 525lbs empty. Is this too much consolidated weight (plus give or take 100lbs of guns) to sit on a subfloor/studs on a 2nd floor?

Alternatively, if I were to lay 2x4s across the floor would it make any difference in terms of weight dissipation?

I know I should probably ask a contractor, but figured I'd ask y'all first.

Thanks in advance

2. warnerwh

warnerwh Portland, OR Member

I put mine on an outside corner. Structurally that's the strongest spot. It's been there for almost 5 years and it weighs 750, this house was built in 53 though. If you buy a safe that weighs 525 make sure they deliver and let them know they'll need to go up stairs, actually I'd tell them to throw in the delivery because they will charge a good 100 for that part. The safe you're looking at won't be a problem. Using 2x4's to put it on isn't necessary.

3. SonicBlue03

Now that I can do in terms of location. Thanks a lot for that feedback and suggestion.

4. Fobos

Fobos Montana/Oregon Member

Keep in mind that if you or a safe company can move it into the home, then a thief can remove it. Also, if you really want to keep your firearms safe, then consider a safe that weighs at least 1000lbs and is at least 8mm thick. Otherwise, it can be opened like a tuna can.

Don't skimp on your safe. Your firearms are an expensive investment. For many, having just one or two firearms stolen would have equaled the cost of a decent safe. Spend the money now and buy a safe twice as big as you think you need, cause eventually, you will want/need a bigger one.

5. finch6013

finch6013 Oregon City Active Member

I wouldn't worry about the weight. I have an aquarium that is about 800 pounds on a second floor apartment and it has yet to be a problem.

6. warnerwh

warnerwh Portland, OR Member

Most safes have holes on bottom to bolt it down to the floor. I don't worry about it because it's extremely difficult to get it to the stairs, at least the guys installing it took quite a while there. Unless someone comes equipped to steal a safe it's pretty safe bet they aren't even going to try. Getting the best safe you can afford now is a good idea. My safe was much larger than I needed but over time it's fairly full now. We keep some paper work in there besides the guns. You'll forget about the extra money you put out in a short time. Remember that safes aren't something you buy and sell, you'll likely have it for a long long time.

7. dr drae

dr drae Seattle Member

x2. Definitely buy bigger than you think you'll need, I outgrew mine in <2yrs.

8. Sandman86

Sandman86 Portland Member

Plus it gives you a good reason to buy more guns :thumbup:

9. techieguy

techieguy Well-Known Member

I thought I purchased a safe larger than what I would ever need... How wrong I was! I need a second safe....:(

10. Contento

Contento Seattle Member

To answer the actual question the OP asked:

Yes, your floor should support a 525lb safe no problem, even when it's full. If you want to go the extra mile you can lay down a piece of 3/4" plywood 6" bigger than the footprint of the safe underneath it- this will disperse the weight better.

If you have a garage that's where I'd put it, you can always build shelving around the safe to disguise it- and the garage is gonna be the part of your house that burns the coldest in the event of a housefire.

11. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

I have a 1200# full sized grand piano that sits on its three casters. The construction is BCI joists with 1 1/8" T&G plywood sub floor. The span is 18'. I got out my laser transit and can detect no appreciable deflection. I did put 5" "cups" under the brass wheels to spread the weight a little. They are available commercially for pianos.

The piano sits in the middle of the room. The closer to a wall you are, the more strength the floor has. I wouldn't worry for a second.

$.02

PS I also like to see the safe bolted to wall studs, but that's just me.

12. SonicBlue03

Nice - thanks - and agreed. I have a couple of corners upstairs I can use, and the studs marked to bolt it to the wall.

Contento - I will likely do that as well for my own peace of mind. Thanks for the suggestion.

13. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

Yeah. for me, bolting to studs is for anti-theft. The floor doesn't need it, imho.

Ever hear of a piano crashing down to the first floor, lmao? :D

14. SonicBlue03

Murphy's Law is more like, "A normal day in my life...." :)

My others have been stud-bolted from a theft perspective. But normally they've been ground level or lighter.