JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For the most part I've been subsisting with smaller, lighter safes bolted to studs in the house. 1) It's been easier to cart up the stairs myself, and 2) most of my guns are still 250 miles away locked in the family vault.

Since I'm finally to the point of consolidating my various things, I've been looking at a much bigger safe. Something to also include the wife's guns.

So here's my question - what's the absolute biggest safe you'd put on a second floor of a dwelling? Construction is 2005. I found a safe that will work that's 525lbs empty. Is this too much consolidated weight (plus give or take 100lbs of guns) to sit on a subfloor/studs on a 2nd floor?

Alternatively, if I were to lay 2x4s across the floor would it make any difference in terms of weight dissipation?

I know I should probably ask a contractor, but figured I'd ask y'all first.

Thanks in advance

I put mine on an outside corner. Structurally that's the strongest spot. It's been there for almost 5 years and it weighs 750, this house was built in 53 though. If you buy a safe that weighs 525 make sure they deliver and let them know they'll need to go up stairs, actually I'd tell them to throw in the delivery because they will charge a good 100 for that part. The safe you're looking at won't be a problem. Using 2x4's to put it on isn't necessary.

Keep in mind that if you or a safe company can move it into the home, then a thief can remove it. Also, if you really want to keep your firearms safe, then consider a safe that weighs at least 1000lbs and is at least 8mm thick. Otherwise, it can be opened like a tuna can.

Don't skimp on your safe. Your firearms are an expensive investment. For many, having just one or two firearms stolen would have equaled the cost of a decent safe. Spend the money now and buy a safe twice as big as you think you need, cause eventually, you will want/need a bigger one.

Most safes have holes on bottom to bolt it down to the floor. I don't worry about it because it's extremely difficult to get it to the stairs, at least the guys installing it took quite a while there. Unless someone comes equipped to steal a safe it's pretty safe bet they aren't even going to try. Getting the best safe you can afford now is a good idea. My safe was much larger than I needed but over time it's fairly full now. We keep some paper work in there besides the guns. You'll forget about the extra money you put out in a short time. Remember that safes aren't something you buy and sell, you'll likely have it for a long long time.

To answer the actual question the OP asked:

Yes, your floor should support a 525lb safe no problem, even when it's full. If you want to go the extra mile you can lay down a piece of 3/4" plywood 6" bigger than the footprint of the safe underneath it- this will disperse the weight better.

If you have a garage that's where I'd put it, you can always build shelving around the safe to disguise it- and the garage is gonna be the part of your house that burns the coldest in the event of a housefire.

I have a 1200# full sized grand piano that sits on its three casters. The construction is BCI joists with 1 1/8" T&G plywood sub floor. The span is 18'. I got out my laser transit and can detect no appreciable deflection. I did put 5" "cups" under the brass wheels to spread the weight a little. They are available commercially for pianos.

The piano sits in the middle of the room. The closer to a wall you are, the more strength the floor has. I wouldn't worry for a second.

$.02

PS I also like to see the safe bolted to wall studs, but that's just me.

I have a 1200# full sized grand piano that sits on its three casters. The construction is BCI joists with 1 1/8" T&G plywood sub floor. The span is 18'. I got out my laser transit and can detect no appreciable deflection. I did put 5" "cups" under the brass wheels to spread the weight a little. They are available commercially for pianos.

The piano sits in the middle of the room. The closer to a wall you are, the more strength the floor has. I wouldn't worry for a second.

$.02

PS I also like to see the safe bolted to wall studs, but that's just me.

Nice - thanks - and agreed. I have a couple of corners upstairs I can use, and the studs marked to bolt it to the wall.

Contento - I will likely do that as well for my own peace of mind. Thanks for the suggestion.

Murphy's Law is more like, "A normal day in my life...." :)

My others have been stud-bolted from a theft perspective. But normally they've been ground level or lighter.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top