JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A friend of mine whose name is Moe, wile shooting at an apple crate with a .25 cal blow back pistol at about twenty feet sustained an impact to the upper brow - eye brow-.
His wife a nurse removed the bullet from his brow and controlled the bleeding.
Back in the day it was considered an accident so the
North West News was not involved and there were no police called. Just an accident involving a spring board apple crate and a target that got out of hand.
Not the ideal self defense weapon, More of a feel good thing that puts a few bucks in the dealers register.
They are junk!
Silver Hand

Last Edited:
I took my wife out for some pratice. She had her Beretta model 20 (25 auto) that she bought 30 years ago. It's the one with the tip-up barrel. This is basicly a new gun and probably has had 50 rounds through it. We were getting constant jams, too many to get any real pratice. The problem was lite primer strikes, I tried two differant boxes of bullets but it was still unreliable. Time for a new gun.

She shot my guns, a Sig 229 40 cal and an XDS 45. These were way too intimating. I'm thinking of moving her up to a 380. I know a 9mm would be better but she's recoil shy. I'm looking for a light weight 380 auto. Must be extremely easy to shot. What do ya recommend?

I once sold a used one of these Berettas, the purchaser brought it back the next day complaining that it wouldn't cycle, and that I sold him a broken gun, he said he had sooo many, many years of experience, blah blah blah--I sent the gun to Beretta--They told me to lubricate it& it worked just fine after that...

Have you lubricated your wife's gun lately??

I don't know as I'll be too much help, both of my semi-autos are 1911s... but I'll try.

For reference I'm 5'4" and 125lbs.

Many moons ago I shot a Glock of some kind and also an XD of some variety. I didn't care for the grip angle of the Glock and the XD also felt similarly 'blocky' to me. I know they've changed some since then but this was a huge factor for me, as it is for anyone - if you can't grip it tightly, recoil will always get the best of you.

I feel that for recoil sensitivity going 'lightweight' is not the best move. Light usually equates to more felt recoil, which is the opposite of what she wants.

I guess my advice is: first (and probably most important) find a pistol with a grip style (size, shape, etc.) that fits in her hands, then get the heaviest one she can comfortably lift and hold in the smallest caliber offered.

Is the 1911 you have a single stack? Can she grip it well? If so, that style of pistol can be had in any size, material, and caliber combo you can imagine. Sig, Colt, and Kimber all have very small 1911 style pistols in .380.

On another possibly related note: what kind of hearing protection is she using? If it's inadequate some of that recoil sensitivity could actually be "bang" sensitivity.

I just got a Glock43 and really like how it pocketa, but haven't fired it yet.

My all time favorite pistol for shooting is my colt detective special .38 snubnose. I kid you not, I can hit a clay pigeon at 30 yards almost everytime. I think it has everything to do with the small grip that allows me to really wrap my fingers around it.

Last Edited:
On another possibly related note: what kind of hearing protection is she using? If it's inadequate some of that recoil sensitivity could actually be "bang" sensitivity.
Very good point! Mrs308 is highly sensitive to the muzzle report and I've seen her react quite differently shooting outdoor and/or away from the covered firing line.

I don't know as I'll be too much help, both of my semi-autos are 1911s... but I'll try.

For reference I'm 5'4" and 125lbs.

Many moons ago I shot a Glock of some kind and also an XD of some variety. I didn't care for the grip angle of the Glock and the XD also felt similarly 'blocky' to me. I know they've changed some since then but this was a huge factor for me, as it is for anyone - if you can't grip it tightly, recoil will always get the best of you.

I feel that for recoil sensitivity going 'lightweight' is not the best move. Light usually equates to more felt recoil, which is the opposite of what she wants.

I guess my advice is: first (and probably most important) find a pistol with a grip style (size, shape, etc.) that fits in her hands, then get the heaviest one she can comfortably lift and hold in the smallest caliber offered.

Is the 1911 you have a single stack? Can she grip it well? If so, that style of pistol can be had in any size, material, and caliber combo you can imagine. Sig, Colt, and Kimber all have very small 1911 style pistols in .380.

One of the reasons my Wife likes the 1911's so much is they are usually quite easy to cycle the slide, and the grip's can be tuned to fit any hand, and the sights are just flat out amazing!!! Seriously, I think a lot of ladies dismiss the 1911 single stack, mainly because the gun counter commando trying to sell the latest wizz bang plastic fantastic and every one forgets the 1911 series. In my mind, a Kimber Compact Pro carry II chambered in 9 mm would just about be perfect!

Very good point! Mrs308 is highly sensitive to the muzzle report and I've seen her react quite differently shooting outdoor and/or away from the covered firing line.

Like most, I started out with foam ear plugs. A few years ago I bought some electronic ear muffs but I was still flinching every time a shot was fired, even if I wasn't the one pulling the trigger. I realized they didn't fit very well so I started wearing foam plugs underneath and I experienced a pretty much instantaneous improvement to my shooting.

Maybe some people get used to it, or 'train' that reaction away, but for a casual or inexperienced shooter doubling up might be the way to go.

Like most, I started out with foam ear plugs. A few years ago I bought some electronic ear muffs but I was still flinching every time a shot was fired, even if I wasn't the one pulling the trigger. I realized they didn't fit very well so I started wearing foam plugs underneath and I experienced a pretty much instantaneous improvement to my shooting.

Maybe some people get used to it, or 'train' that reaction away, but for a casual or inexperienced shooter doubling up might be the way to go.
We've been doubling up on the ear protection too. It seems the ear muffs pull away from the head when wearing safety glasses, so that is probably adding to the problem.

i need to rethink this. I would love to see her make the move to a 9mm. I need to take her to a place that has lots of guns on display so she can handle them. I though I had it nailed down to a Glock 40 or 42 but after talking to her she would be willing accept more weight for lighter recoil. Like some of you suggested a steel frame might be better. Damn, I always wanted to try a Glock.
If I did get her a 9mm and it didn't work out I could still use it as a carry weapon for myself. I think if we bought it as "her" gun she would be more interested in shooting. Thanks for the advice.

I've been looking and researching what would be best for my wife. We've been to a few gun stores (well, just one really). The little lady had a hard time racking the slide on most of them. I hadn't considered a revolver until today. We looked at a Ruger 9mm revolver at the shop and though we'd look into it further. A few days ago one of you said I should go to "The Place to Shoot" in PDX and rent a few guns. I took that advice and made the 100 mile trip. The wife got some great basic instruction from one of the instructors. We rented a Ruger 2" 38 special revolver and a Glock 19. My wife shot the Ruger just 2 times and hated it. Way too much recoil and blast. The Glock was next. I loved it. The wife liked it way more than the Ruger but still wasn't comfortable with it. The time at the range cost me $88 but we learned a few things. First, I HATE indoor ranges. Second, none of these guns would work for her. After giving this more thought I think I'll put her behind a .22 auto pistol and see how she does. I have a couple of Colt Woodsman autos around here for a start. If she likes shooting those ill buy her a new Ruger SR22 or 10/45. Threaded barrel would be a plus.
I'd love to find an experienced female instructor, I think It'd made this process easier. So there you have it.

My Dad's hands are really screwed up after his working as a mechanic for many years, as a result he had too much trouble chambering the .380 Kel-Tec he carried, so I got him a Sig Sauer .380 that is very smooth and easy for him to work the action on. Makes me feel good knowing he can operate it if he has some trouble

I've been looking and researching what would be best for my wife. We've been to a few gun stores (well, just one really). The little lady had a hard time racking the slide on most of them. I hadn't considered a revolver until today. We looked at a Ruger 9mm revolver at the shop and though we'd look into it further. A few days ago one of you said I should go to "The Place to Shoot" in PDX and rent a few guns. I took that advice and made the 100 mile trip. The wife got some great basic instruction from one of the instructors. We rented a Ruger 2" 38 special revolver and a Glock 19. My wife shot the Ruger just 2 times and hated it. Way too much recoil and blast. The Glock was next. I loved it. The wife liked it way more than the Ruger but still wasn't comfortable with it. The time at the range cost me $88 but we learned a few things. First, I HATE indoor ranges. Second, none of these guns would work for her. After giving this more thought I think I'll put her behind a .22 auto pistol and see how she does. I have a couple of Colt Woodsman autos around here for a start. If she likes shooting those ill buy her a new Ruger SR22 or 10/45. Threaded barrel would be a plus.
I'd love to find an experienced female instructor, I think It'd made this process easier. So there you have it.
Went through this with my wife as well... Although she can easily handle a 2" .38 revolver, she's shown proficiency with it, her favorite is a Ruger 10/45... She just simply shoots that the best... And that's what she gravitates to when we go out shooting...

Let her shoot what she's comfortable with, let her develop and perfect her skills. Then you can have her try something else...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top