JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thank you for your advice! I took a CHL course yesterday and my instructor told me I should get a revolver. In fact he said a Ruger WMR 22mag would be ideal for me. And to get a laser....I can't get another right now but I do like my S&W shield!

What was the reasoning? I'm sorry, but I get really irritated when men tell a woman that they know what the perfect gun for her is. Seems like it is most always a .22

Okay, I'm not really sorry :p I think you should get a new instructor ;)

Are you having a difficult time hitting the target with your Shield?

Okay, I'm not really sorry :p I think you should get a new instructor ;)
Just a note to let you know NOT all Male Firearms Instructors think the Only gun for a Lady is a .22 Rimfire. I used to teach a number of "Ladies Only" Firearms Classes. During those classes the ladies had a chance to handle a bunch of different Handguns from pellet pistols to Smith and Wesson Model 29s. The class ran Tuesday and Thursday from 6pm until 10pm for a total of 8 weeks plus two live fire Range days. When they finished they had Certs. for Basic Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzle Loading Rifle and Pistol plus WA State Hunter Ed. They had all had a chance to fire a Cylinder or a Magazine full of any of the Firearms that we had available. About 30+ if memory serves. Of the 40 who began the first class we graduated 40 with Three Fourths of them obtaining there CPL. That class even included a student who gave birth Three days after the last Range Day! She named the Baby after the other Instructor. Tony didn't mind that they used the name spelt with an "I". The Mother had to have her Husband hang onto her S&W .38 Chief Special during the delivery but she reclaimed it later that day, before leaving the Hospital! The Staff never knew; she said it was NONE of their business.

If we hadn't moved South into Kinky Kounty I'm guessing we might still be teaching.

I know there are a lot of good instructors out there :D For some women a .22 is great. Low recoil, builds confidence, will offer more protection than nothing, people can die from a .22 round. But if a woman is purchases a 9mm and is practicing with it, I can't understand why anyone would tell her she should go purchase a smaller round. If she is struggling with it, it's the instructors job to help her get over what ever she is struggling with, recoil, fear of the "bang", weak wrists, stance, etc. I'm sure you know this, though, KKG.

I'm sorry, but I get really irritated when men tell a woman that they know what the perfect gun for her is. Seems like it is most always a .22

I have never heard a male recommend a .22. Most males that I have encountered think the bigger is better, failing to consider wrist strength etc. I just had a male call and tell me I needed to buy a glock, I thought about it but no thanks. I own a .22 and I love my Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite. Of all the handguns I own, the Ruger is the most fun to shoot. I do not carry my .22 but if I am trying a new stance or pushing the target out further, I always start with the .22

@BlackdogGS good luck to your wife.

I've taught for many years and have always told my students that they should go with what works for them. But, I have always encouraged my students to try different Firearms. The .22 Rimfire is a wonderful tool for teaching and learning and as a defensive Weapon it's better than nothing.

Just a FWIW the ladies(Young and Old) - if you can get them away from Husband/Boyfriend/etc. - are MUCH better students than men. When I was teaching Hunter Ed I also expelled the Parent(s) to the back of the classroom. I've lost count of how many times I heard "But my Dad/Uncle/etc. said..." especially when the subject of crossing a fence line came up.

Now, the One thing I never did was Teach the Test. I once had another "Instructor"(and I use that term Very lightly) state that he needed his Range Days setup not more than two weeks after his class because he was afraid his students wouldn't Remember what they had learned! I flat refused to Team Teach with that man.:mad:

IMG_0438.PNG I haven't been around for a while but I wanted to let you know about an excellent pistol I picked up for concealed carry. Now normally I'm a Sig gal, but the Browning Black Label 1911 .380 is a great shooter. I got the 4.25" barrel with the night sites. This pistol punches paper like a 9 (yeah I know the .380 is a 9mm short). I love the 1911 design and the Black Label is 85% the size of a 1911. Fits beautifully in my hand and no noticeable recoil. It is also available in .22 LR if that is your desired caliber. If anyone is interesred, I'll post a picture when I can find it. Found it.

Last Edited:
Ok I read through this thread. I carry a G42 right now and aside from wanting to get a nicer holster, I also like the idea of getting out there and trying different guns. I only shot a Walther PK380 to compare to the G42. I 100% agree with being more concerned about how many holes I can accurately get in and not necessarily the size of the hole. IDK why I've always thought ranges charge per gun you rent, although it seems at SafeFire its 1 fee and you can trade out? Also, any current recommendations for lessons? I'm not opposed to male instructors, however a female did my CHL gun safety course and it was nice that she knew the struggles us lady face. :s0164:

Ok I read through this thread. I carry a G42 right now and aside from wanting to get a nicer holster, I also like the idea of getting out there and trying different guns. I only shot a Walther PK380 to compare to the G42. I 100% agree with being more concerned about how many holes I can accurately get in and not necessarily the size of the hole. IDK why I've always thought ranges charge per gun you rent, although it seems at SafeFire its 1 fee and you can trade out? Also, any current recommendations for lessons? I'm not opposed to male instructors, however a female did my CHL gun safety course and it was nice that she knew the struggles us lady face. :s0164:
Yep the range up here charge a fee to shoot and then to rent a gun you pay another fee and have to buy 50 rounds of ammo from them also .then if you want to rent a different gun you have to pay another fee it sucks.i went through it with my aunt .we rented three different guns . your best bet is try to find someone you know has a gun you want to try just buy Ammo

As for the post about GUY'S telling women to buy a .22 lol well if I am with someone who has not shot a hand gun before .I would start with a .22 also .man or a woman .be because the worse thing to do would be to have them shoot a Smith and Wesson 500 for there first time lol .start small work your way up

As for the post about GUY'S telling women to buy a .22 lol well if I am with someone who has not shot a hand gun before .I would start with a .22 also .man or a woman .be because the worse thing to do would be to have them shoot a Smith and Wesson 500 for there first time lol .start small work your way up
Agreed. I also give new shooters a mag with one cartridge. If they handle it okay, I give them two in the next mag. They have to prove to me they can safely handle the transition of firing and remaining or getting back on target. If there are no problems, then we talk about more cartridges or a full mag. It's a step process that gives us more time to learn. It also forces them to try new calibers one cartridge at a time. If you're learning from me I take my time. I will never be the instructor that wishes they had gone slower or not given a that full magazine to a shooter.

Agreed. I also give new shooters a mag with one cartridge. If they handle it okay, I give them two in the next mag. They have to prove to me they can safely handle the transition of firing and remaining or getting back on target. If there are no problems, then we talk about more cartridges or a full mag. It's a step process that gives us more time to learn. It also forces them to try new calibers one cartridge at a time. If you're learning from me I take my time. I will never be the instructor that wishes they had gone slower or not given a that full magazine to a shooter.
I went through that in other post lol never give a new SHOOTER a fully loaded gun

You should come out to Ladies League at TriCounty. While it's not a league in the true sense, and it's not for people without basic handgun handling skills, we meet once a month to shoot and it's a great place to try out other peoples guns.

My Wife loves the Sig PE/P229 so much so she wont ever let me sell it.
The Sig has no recoil to speak off and is handled easily.
But carries a S&W 9mm Shield , compact , zero recoil and accurate reasonable
price depending on options around 350-400ish
( note before all were lost in said boat accident )

You should come out to Ladies League at TriCounty. While it's not a league in the true sense, and it's not for people without basic handgun handling skills, we meet once a month to shoot and it's a great place to try out other peoples guns.

I'd love to! I'm on the waitlist for TriCounty so in 17 years maybe! Hehe :s0025: It's also too early in the morning for double negatives... "not for people without" so I DO have basic handgun handling skills, just need practice and constructive criticism...

I'd love to! I'm on the waitlist for TriCounty so in 17 years maybe! Hehe :s0025: It's also too early in the morning for double negatives... "not for people without" so I DO have basic handgun handling skills, just need practice and constructive criticism...
You don't need to be a member to be a part of LL. We meed the first Thursday of the month, and first meeting of the year is April 5th. If you are interested in going, send me a PM and we can arrange to meet at the gate.:)

I took my wife out for some pratice. She had her Beretta model 20 (25 auto) that she bought 30 years ago. It's the one with the tip-up barrel. This is basicly a new gun and probably has had 50 rounds through it. We were getting constant jams, too many to get any real pratice. The problem was lite primer strikes, I tried two differant boxes of bullets but it was still unreliable. Time for a new gun.

She shot my guns, a Sig 229 40 cal and an XDS 45. These were way too intimating. I'm thinking of moving her up to a 380. I know a 9mm would be better but she's recoil shy. I'm looking for a light weight 380 auto. Must be extremely easy to shot. What do ya recommend?

I didn't read every page of this thread but has she tried the Shield 380 EZ? It's lighter weight than the other M&P Shields. Personally, I love my Kimber Micro 9. Of course there's a Micro 380 but the 9 is perfect for me. My little sister carries a Glock 42 and loves it. I don't care too much for it, as the grips are awkward for me. There are so many compact and subcompact carry guns out there right now, just have her play with some :) if she is uncomfortable, don't press it. Give her time.

I took my wife out for some pratice. She had her Beretta model 20 (25 auto) that she bought 30 years ago. It's the one with the tip-up barrel. This is basicly a new gun and probably has had 50 rounds through it. We were getting constant jams, too many to get any real pratice. The problem was lite primer strikes, I tried two differant boxes of bullets but it was still unreliable. Time for a new gun.

She shot my guns, a Sig 229 40 cal and an XDS 45. These were way too intimating. I'm thinking of moving her up to a 380. I know a 9mm would be better but she's recoil shy. I'm looking for a light weight 380 auto. Must be extremely easy to shot. What do ya recommend?
My Bersa Thunder 380 has a light recoil it isn't heavy and I enjoy it, I have some nerve issues and it works for me

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top