JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I took my wife out for some pratice. She had her Beretta model 20 (25 auto) that she bought 30 years ago. It's the one with the tip-up barrel. This is basicly a new gun and probably has had 50 rounds through it. We were getting constant jams, too many to get any real pratice. The problem was lite primer strikes, I tried two differant boxes of bullets but it was still unreliable. Time for a new gun.

She shot my guns, a Sig 229 40 cal and an XDS 45. These were way too intimating. I'm thinking of moving her up to a 380. I know a 9mm would be better but she's recoil shy. I'm looking for a light weight 380 auto. Must be extremely easy to shot. What do ya recommend?
I took my wife out for some pratice. She had her Beretta model 20 (25 auto) that she bought 30 years ago. It's the one with the tip-up barrel. This is basicly a new gun and probably has had 50 rounds through it. We were getting constant jams, too many to get any real pratice. The problem was lite primer strikes, I tried two differant boxes of bullets but it was still unreliable. Time for a new gun.

She shot my guns, a Sig 229 40 cal and an XDS 45. These were way too intimating. I'm thinking of moving her up to a 380. I know a 9mm would be better but she's recoil shy. I'm looking for a light weight 380 auto. Must be extremely easy to shot. What do ya recommend?

I learned to shoot handguns when I was about age 6, and was way under 100 lbs at the time. Fortunately, I just learned on my parents' guns, which were a full-size .38 revolver and a full-size .22 semi-auto. I've since taught a number of other women to shoot. Basically, what I've found works best for most women is a full size gun of some sort. Small or light-weight guns are much harder to shoot and harder on the shooter. I would suggest starting with a K-frame or L-frame S&W revolver in .357mag or .38 special. 4 inch barrel is easier to shoot than anything shorter initially. Get grips on the gun that fit her hands perfectly and make it point naturally for her. Start with .38 sp wadcutters.
Since you think your wife is unlikely to carry the gun, focus on home defense. And on something that is enjoyable to shoot. If she really enjoys shooting her 4-inch revolver, don't be surprised if she starts carrying it too. Or gets enthusiastic enough about shooting and convinced enough about the importance of being prepared to be ready for something smaller and more difficult to shoot that she can also carry.
Please don't shove her into semi-autos because they are what you prefer. Most women new to guns for self-defense are thinking in terms of one or two attackers who have grabbed them or are about to, not fighting off a whole army. If semi-autos are genuinely her preference, go with a full size 9mm, not something tiny. And teach her to rack the slide by moving both hands, the hand holding the gun as well as the other hand. Most adult women can rack the slide on a good quality full size 9mm once they learn to hold grip and slide hard and use both hands.
I applaud you for helping your wife to take responsibility for her own safety. If your wife is ever attacked, it is most likely to be when you aren't around. So the best way for you to protect her is to help her learn to protect herself.

As for the post about GUY'S telling women to buy a .22 lol well if I am with someone who has not shot a hand gun before .I would start with a .22 also .man or a woman .be because the worse thing to do would be to have them shoot a Smith and Wesson 500 for there first time lol .start small work your way up

Absolutely. I do the same thing. But if I recall, the subject was regularly shooting a 9mm, and the instructor suggested she get a .22. That is what set me off. My first course was taught by two gentlemen who started with a .22 and then a .380 and a 9. They were excellent instructors. I took their intro class again with my 14 year old son a year later.

Absolutely. I do the same thing. But if I recall, the subject was regularly shooting a 9mm, and the instructor suggested she get a .22. That is what set me off. My first course was taught by two gentlemen who started with a .22 and then a .380 and a 9. They were excellent instructors. I took their intro class again with my 14 year old son a year later.
I want like this more then once. I hate it when anyone tells a woman she can't shoot a certain caliber. It's BS until she gets a chance to try it.

It probably just needs a spring kit Or just a hammer spring .

P.s. those are fond of s&b or feochie ammo .

Sir, 'UP' to a .380? Confunglement here. Don't you mean 'down'? Anyhow, ANY .380 - being a blowback design - is going to be a RPITA for MOST females to actually cock.
tac
Not all 380's are hard to work the slide. 2nd vote to check out M&P 380 Shield EZ.
180023_01_lg.jpg
Smith & Wesson M&P380 Shield EZ 2.0 No Thumb Safety - $325 shipped after code "MCQ"

Not all 380's are hard to work the slide. 2nd vote to check out M&P 380 Shield EZ.
View attachment 455418
Smith & Wesson M&P380 Shield EZ 2.0 No Thumb Safety - $325 shipped after code "MCQ"

I'm sure you are correct in your assertion, but my comment must be taken in context. It's now twenty years since my wife shot my Walther PP, and the way things are, she'll never get to shoot any kind of handgun in the yUK again.

Incidentally, the SIG P230 was equally difficult for a female with small hands to operate.

tac

Well then congrats on a job well done Blackdog!
I bet that little Sig is a real sweetheart.
I hope you and your wife enjoy that gun for a long time. =)

Dean

After all this my dear wife on her own decided she wanted to take a local pistol class. We signed up for the 3 hour-4 day class. First day was mostly classroom then today we were on the range. My Sig has operated flawlessly in the past but not this time, it jammed constantly. Kind of a good thing as she had to really focus on the gun. I was a range helper but an experienced RSO was with her the whole time. She's really taking this course seriously and I felt bad the gun didn't perform as it would have been less frustrating for her. I'll clean and function check the Sig tomorrow but I might use this excuse to buy a new .22. It's got to be something that racks fairly easy as my wife is a lightweight. Maybe a tactical type Ruger with a threaded barrel. What do ya think?

After all this my dear wife on her own decided she wanted to take a local pistol class. We signed up for the 3 hour-4 day class. First day was mostly classroom then today we were on the range. My Sig has operated flawlessly in the past but not this time, it jammed constantly. Kind of a good thing as she had to really focus on the gun. I was a range helper but an experienced RSO was with her the whole time. She's really taking this course seriously and I felt bad the gun didn't perform as it would have been less frustrating for her. I'll clean and function check the Sig tomorrow but I might use this excuse to buy a new .22. It's got to be something that racks fairly easy as my wife is a lightweight. Maybe a tactical type Ruger with a threaded barrel. What do ya think?

I'd say keep it as simple and reliable as possible.

Too bad about the pistol issues, but fantastic that she took the initiative to sign up for a class!

I think you already have a .22 and just need to either figure out what's going on with it, or continue to wear it in.
...however, if you're looking for another .22, for yourself and/or your wife (in other words, an addition, instead of a replacement), then how about one of the little Beretta's or Taurus guns?
The ones with the tip-up barrel.
I understand that's quite a handy feature and I have never, ever, heard/read of anyone having issues with racking the slide on any of those guns.
I also noticed the Beretta U22 series.
...or maybe the .22 offerings from Taurus.

I still say look at the Bersa Thunder in 22lr.
Takes mini mags to be reliable. But a fun shooter and is about $240.
DA/SA with decocker and the mag disconnect but again it is fun to shoot, easy to rack.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top