JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm thinking about getting steel targets (spinners, dueling tree) for practicing with my .22 handguns. My question is about the minimum safe shooting distance. The instructions on the targets state 25 or 30 yards minimum. Someday I hope to be a good enough shot to hit a 2" spinner at 30 yards but it's going to take a while. Do any of you have experience shooting at these kind of targets and what distances do you shoot at?

I have shot my triple-spinner with .22's at about 15 yards,zero bounce back.I thnk the 'secret' is that as long as the target has some give,the bounce back is almost eliminated.almost.
never ever shoot steel without good eyewear,including side sheilding..ie: wrap around lenses.
always face the fring line when someone else is shooting too,keeps the sides of your eyes protected better.
I've shot steel for years,mostly at cowboy matches with slow moving centerfire ammo,and the bounce back can draw blood.
I love reactive targets and use them all the time.shoot steel plates too.Love the DING.

I picked up a reset target spinner from Fisherman's. Went out today in the cruddy weather to give it a try. Not too difficult to hit from 25-30 feet and very fun. I'm looking forward to getting some different styles and setting up my own personal "shooting gallery".

I have some spinner targets i made out of 3/8 mild steel and have shot tens of thousands of rounds at them. Never had an injury or incident from shooting at them. But they don't hold up to rifle rounds very well. They have been shot with .22, 9mm, 40s&w, 45acp, .357 mag, 44mag, .223, .308 ,7.62x39, 7.62x54R, 30-06 and 7mm rem mag. so far only the 7mm rem mag shoot clean through. all other either fragment on impact or crater.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top