JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My family and I were really near being homeless. We used the food bank. I didn't have to beg from anyone but family till we got our feet under ourselves, but it was close. I don't throw fruit at them when I see them, I give what I can because I was almost them.

I am certain you're not the only one here that has been close. I was close to that place myself many years ago, thankfully I didn't get there.

My problem with giving out assistance, particularly money, to people on street corners (which I have done in the past) is that numerous reports have been done by news agencies showing that it's not uncommon for folks in these situations being con-artists, drug addicts, etc. When the ones asking for a job, any job, were offered legitimate work, they turned it down and just wanted cash. It's not possible in most cases to know what that person is really going through. And there is a probably better than good chance that you're being played.

So, my rule is this - no cash to anyone, ever. We donate to local relief agencies and shelters so we can be certain we're not throwing money at some huckster or drug addict. If I do choose to help someone on the street, I will buy them a meal. I've been approached a number of times coming out of a restaurant or coffee shop, asking for money. I always say no, but will offer to buy them something to eat.

I don't harbor negative thoughts against people that are truly struggling - it happens to even the best of folks. But there are so many people just refusing to take care of themselves and expecting others to do it for them - those f'ers are robbing the help that should be distributed to the folks that really need it. Until we find another way of dealing with it, I'll continue to only give my money to agencies that support those that are in real trouble.

Last Edited:
I am certain you're not the only one here that has been close. I was close to that place myself many years ago, thankfully I didn't get there.

My problem with giving out assistance, particularly money, to people on street corners ...

If you shop Amazon, you can go to smile.amazon.com and then shop regularly. They then give 1/2% of your purchase to the Oregon Food Bank by default and can change that to other charities. I do that now. Its something.

If you shop Amazon, you can go to smile.amazon.com and then shop regularly. They then give 1/2% of your purchase to the Oregon Food Bank by default and can change that to other charities. I do that now. Its something.

I do use Smile, but mine goes to OFF at this time. Fred Meyer has a similar program, BTW, if you register for it. We are regular donors to a local food charity known as HOPE (Helping Other People Eat) which is administered by a number of churches in the Oregon City area. They have been helping more and more people in the past years. They also offer clothing to folks that need it as well. One thing is certain, there is a lot of need out there right now.

Some of those "homeless" people make more money than I do. Tax free.
I have a friend who knows a guy (he's no longer friends with) that would beg for money on the street corner in portland.
Owned a house near lloyd center.
The guy said he made $100-200 a day. Some days would make that just in the morning rush with in 4-5 hours.

I've never given them a dime. Never would.

I've watched people try to give them food and they just scoff at it, even yelling at them to get away because they are ruining their helpless look.

90% or more are just lazy,felons, drug addicts, or mental cases.

I would prefer they jumped from the bridges they sleep under.

Call me an A-hole, but they are whats wrong with society. The few who choose to mooch off the many and contribute nothing back. Never will.

Soon enough the few, will be the many mooching off the few until the tode changes.
No dofferent than the welfare mommas with 10 kids that will all grow up to be criminals.

Come on man, they only want a little help - some food - a job - some change - weed . . . :rolleyes:

Murder, rape, sexual assault, theft, stabbings, animal abuse, drug abuse, arson? . . .
Extremely dangerous, crazy, violent and often drugged out. Many of them are not from Portland, or even Oregon. They come here for the free bubblegum that the city provides. If you want to help the ones who would like assistance, donate to charity.

I avoid them at all costs.

<broken link removed>

6 reasons why Portland's homeless crisis is at a breaking point (http://www.kgw.com/news/investigations/6-reasons-why-portlands-homeless-crisis-is-at-a-breaking-point/156737977)

Homeless say stabbing, fires a sign frustration is growing (http://www.kgw.com/news/crime/homeless-say-stabbing-fires-a-sign-frustration-is-growing/151675758)

Homeless people stole and killed puppy on Springwater Corridor, Portland woman says (http://www.oregonlive.com/education/index.ssf/2016/04/portland_police_look_into_repo.html)

My cousin was a Marine Vet during Vietnam although never was shipped out.
He used to go downtown and find Homeless Vets and bring them to his house, give them a shower and hot meal. The clothes off his back if they needed it.

Never any money. But would help them feel human again.
Never talked about it or bragged. I think he did it out of guilt for not having to go through what some of them did.

I believe in helping Vets who served this country. They are the ones who deserve it.

I have spent a fair amount of time on the streets with various ministries, also been in every prison in WA. St except for Coyote Ridge, some multiple times. While feeding the homeless under a bridge in Tacoma one Friday I looked at a guy with nice shoes, nice coat, did no look ratty or addicted, so I was kinda thinking he doesn't need the food. But then I realized that's between him and his maker. I am just doing what my Maker instructs me to do. A lot of peace in that. Yes, many of them are human refuse and it is a challenge to figure out what to do with them. But they are human even if they act like animals. Sometimes I think compounds like Escape from New York would work, but then it would just be the tougher screwing over the weaker. I got panhandled every day when I worked downtown, some folks got a little bit with a good story....like the Vietnam vet (maybe he was) who said, "Hey sir, I am gonna be honest can you spare a couple bucks so I can buy a beer." Winner. He got the only money I handed out that day. Some are the dregs and some are truly down on their luck. One my wife works with was homeless living under a bush when her boss hired him...4 years later he lives on a small sailboat at a marina nearby and is a solid worker. Boss told him she wouldn't have hired him if she knew he was homeless.

No easy answer no doubt to the problem, camps, homes, jails. No one easy fix. But like mom told me once when I said out loud as we drove by one...Get a job! to which she replied there but for the grace of God go you. Being young and full of myself I said, well, I would get a job. Later in life a few times I was looking for a job. Friends and girlfriends kept me off the street barely until work picked up. Lucky for me I had them. And options as we say.

Brutus Out.

Last Edited:
I look around tacoma at the homeless, of course I see the druggies and unstable, but I also see those for whom homelessness is temporary.some of them you cant tell they are homeless. Sadly I see a lot of older folks out on the streets.

Like George Carlin says, the reason we have homeless is for scaring the bubblegum out of the middle class. Except he didn't use the word "bubblegum". Seems to be working... ;)

I received a call this morning from the manager of the medical building that I maintain.
It's located right below OHSU and some bums have taken up residence in the woods right above the back parking lot.
I pulled down their custom shack last year and I think some new bums that have found the remains of the shack and decided that they might try and resurrect the debris.
They immediately started strewing garbage all over the hillside, unlike the previous tenant who was completely hidden and very clean in the garbage department.
I am thinking of using some old fish fertilizer that I have no use for and pouring it all around their encampment. I tried using it on my garden this year and the smell was so bad I about upchucked just opening the gallon jug.

We had a store in clackamas I ised to work at and caught a guy breaking into a car the manager and another employee ran after him into the woods.
After 100 ft in the woods they came into this homeless compound. He said there was about 50 tents and heard people talking and walking around them. He said it scared the bejesus out of them and they boogie out.
Eventually the state patrol moved into that building and they cleared the woods.
A lot of those people are probably in the corridor and spread around the area.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top