JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Please correct me if I'm wrong here, but wasn't that pipe line from Canada just to get THEIR oil/gas to the Gulf so Canada could make billions shipping it off to the highest bidders?? The US getting no benefits what so ever from the pipe line? Only some temporary jobs while the pipe line was being built, and a few jobs after completion?

Mike

Mike, it's a lot more complicated than that. That pipeline, which I hope we still get, would put oil into Montana and Oklahoma and the Gulf region, to be refined and used. Much of it would be used here.

Besides, who wouldn't rather buy oil from Canada than to support countries in the ME which hate us? Also, "they" can't block oil from Canada with a war in the ME. Our security would be enhanced.

<broken link removed>

The Keystone XL pipeline project will ensure energy security, job creation and stimulate the economy. Keystone XL is a critical energy infrastructure project.

TransCanada is fully committed to the Keystone XL project and still expects to build the $7-billion pipeline before the end of 2015. On January 18, 2012, TransCanada announced it will re-apply to the U.S. Department of State (DOS) for a Presidential Permit. TransCanada expects that the findings of an exhaustive, three-year environmental review process already completed by the DOS will be taken into account as part of the new application process.

Keystone XL will play an important role in linking a secure and growing supply of Canadian and American crude oil with the largest refining markets in the United States, significantly improving North American security supply. Keystone XL will have the capacity to transport 830,000 barrels of oil per day to Cushing, Oklahoma and Gulf Coast refineries. Approximately 25 per cent of the oil delivered by Keystone XL will be American crude from the Bakken oilfields in Montana and North Dakota and from Cushing, with the remaining capacity supplied by Canadian oil sands. Together with the existing two phases of the Keystone Pipeline, the entire system would be able to transport 1.3 million barrels per day.

TransCanada will inject billions of private-sector dollars into the economy, creating more than 20,000 direct jobs and 118,000 spin off jobs during construction Once in operation, Keystone XL will contribute an additional $5.2 billion in property taxes to communities along the route during the operating life of the pipeline.

Keystone XL is an approximate 2,673-kilometre (1,661-mile), 36-inch crude oil pipeline that would begin at Hardisty, Alberta and extend southeast through Saskatchewan, Montana, South Dakota and Nebraska. It would incorporate a portion of the Keystone Pipeline (Phase II) through Nebraska and Kansas to serve markets at Cushing, before continuing through Oklahoma to a delivery point near existing terminals in Nederland, Texas to serve the Gulf Coast marketplace.

I have a huge problem with Capitalism

What I do not have is a problem with is Free Enterprise.. there is a huge difference

A grower selling at a farmer's market is engaged in free enterprise and capitalism. Most people who say they don't like capitalism are really saying they don't like corporations. Without aggregating capital in large amounts, many things couldn't be done. So, people incorporate and sell stock to raise capital.

Capitalism gets ugly only when the government becomes a part of it in any way. The military-industrial complex is ugly. The lobbyist-corporate-government entanglement is ugly.

But that isn't a free market. I should have said I love free market capitalism.

Mike, it's a lot more complicated than that. That pipeline, which I hope we still get, would put oil into Montana and Oklahoma and the Gulf region, to be refined and used. Much of it would be used here.

Besides, who wouldn't rather buy oil from Canada than to support countries in the ME which hate us?

<broken link removed>

Thanks for being gentle with me Gunner.....I don't read everything I should and sometimes only enough to make me dangerous!LOL

I don't see what it matters, there's no shortage of oil at this time, though at the whim of speculaters (should be a four letter word) prices can and do go up for any reason, or no reason. So it doesn't matter one diddlee doo how much oil is coming from the North through the US, as far as prices go, we're still getting screwed.

Now something I did read from a reliable source, which I don't remember now, is that we actually only import a small amout of oil from the Middle East, something like 17%. The majority of our impoted crude is from Canada and Soth America. This makes the argument a lot of people use as far as the ME imports less meaningful.

Mike

A grower selling at a farmer's market is engaged in free enterprise and capitalism. Most people who say they don't like capitalism are really saying they don't like corporations. Without aggregating capital in large amounts, many things couldn't be done. So, people incorporate and sell stock to raise capital.

Capitalism gets ugly only when the government becomes a part of it in any way. The military-industrial complex is ugly. The lobbyist-corporate-government entanglement is ugly.

But that isn't a free market. I should have said I love free market capitalism.

Capitalism is "he who has the gold makes the rules"

Free Enterprise is "He who has a truly marketable product makes the gold"

There is a HUGE difference as John Moses Browning or Henry Ford would tell you. We no longer have Free Enterprise in the USA and we are run by the gold toting international banksters

There is a HUGE difference as John Moses Browning or Henry Ford would tell you. We no longer have Free Enterprise in the USA and we are run by the gold toting international banksters

So how does that explain my business which I and partners started, incorporated, and made a success of? I've never felt like I wasn't engaged in capitalism, nor did I ever feel that I didn't have free markets. Do the employees have their own business or are they engaged in capitalism? They benefit from the capitalism because it produced their jobs, but if they want to be a capitalist, they'll have to go raise money and take their own risks.

There is nothing stopping anyone from becoming another Bill Gates other than lacking an idea and motivation. The freedom is there.

So how does that explain my business which I and partners started, incorporated, and made a success of? I've never felt like I wasn't engaged in capitalism, nor did I ever feel that I didn't have free markets. Do the employees have their own business or are they engaged in capitalism? They benefit from the capitalism because it produced their jobs, but if they want to be a capitalist, they'll have to go raise money and take their own risks.

There is nothing stopping anyone from becoming another Bill Gates other than lacking an idea and motivation. The freedom is there.

+1, very well said.

Thanks for being gentle with me Gunner.....I don't read everything I should and sometimes only enough to make me dangerous!LOL

I don't see what it matters, there's no shortage of oil at this time, though at the whim of speculaters (should be a four letter word) prices can and do go up for any reason, or no reason. So it doesn't matter one diddlee doo how much oil is coming from the North through the US, as far as prices go, we're still getting screwed.

Now something I did read from a reliable source, which I don't remember now, is that we actually only import a small amout of oil from the Middle East, something like 17%. The majority of our impoted crude is from Canada and Soth America. This makes the argument a lot of people use as far as the ME imports less meaningful.

Mike

You're right up to a point. Our #1 supplier is Canada with about 200 million barrels a year. #2 is Saudi Arabia with about 160 million barrels a year. We also buy from other ME countries.

The problem is that 30 years ago we imported only 28% of our oil. Today it's 60%. This could be traced directly to "environmental" restrictions.

Those who restrict don't seem to care about national security. If we lost the 160 million barrels from Saudi, and the other oil we buy from the ME, we'd shut down overnight. We'd grind directly to a halt.

40% of our energy comes from oil, but we can't drive cars and trucks with coal or hydroelectric dams, at least not far and efficiently. Lots of other things are made from oil such as plastics and tires and chemicals and medicines and even fertilizers to grow food. Our farm equipment runs on oil.

"Betting the farm" on being able to get oil through the Straits of Hormuz could be suicidal.

Government regulation and the usury system have killed most Free Enterprise. It can be done but you need special advantages like the new business I am about to start

Try starting a new machine gun design/manufacturing business like Browning did and tell me how that goes

Newt coming to WA after knocking Obama on energy

Hot on the heels of Monday’s column on how rising fuel prices will hammer Northwest shooters and hunters, Republican presidential hopeful Newt Gingrich is headed for Washington State later this week, perhaps to repeat his going-viral observation about how President Obama wants everyone to drive smaller cars.

<broken link removed>

Did I tell you that I make all of my money selling tin foil hats, LOL? :)

I agree there are some really ugly corporate entities deeply in bed with governments on a world basis. No doubt, and I hate it and it worries me. But to me, saying that capitalism or corporations are bad is like saying owning guns is bad. Just because there are gangs and murderers and international crooks isn't reason enough to take my freedom to start a corporation or to own a gun.

When someone shows me a system which is better than imperfect capitalism, I'll buy into it. It is to me, sort of like when Winston Churchill said "Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all others." I feel the same about capitalism. It's the worst economic system except for all others.

Government regulation and the usury system have killed most Free Enterprise. It can be done but you need special advantages like the new business I am about to start

Try starting a new machine gun design/manufacturing business like Browning did and tell me how that goes

I can't argue that. Governments are killing much of our capitalism and free enterprise. That doesn't mean that capitalism won't work in a free environment. THE PROBLEM IS THE GOVERNMENT, NOT CAPITALISM.

Interesting conversation.
I happen to describe myself as a "good little capitalist." In addition to my freelance writing and the books I've written, I run D&D GUNLEATHER (D&D Gunleather) and I make a few bucks building holsters and gun belts that people want to buy.
Over the years, I've managed to do "okay" though I'm no mass producer by any stretch. It is a free enterprise marketplace out there. Others make holsters too. My advertising is primarily word of mouth from satisfied clients. If people didn't like my stuff, they wouldn't recommend it to others. That's kind of what makes free enterprise successful. If you produce junk, word gets around fast.

Did I tell you that I make all of my money selling tin foil hats, LOL? :)

Can you do a 2XL for my huge cranium?

I agree there are some really ugly corporate entities deeply in bed with governments on a world basis. No doubt, and I hate it and it worries me. But to me, saying that capitalism or corporations are bad is like saying owning guns is bad. Just because there are gangs and murderers and international crooks isn't reason enough to take my freedom to start a corporation or to own a gun.

When someone shows me a system which is better than imperfect capitalism, I'll buy into it. It is to me, sort of like when Winston Churchill said "Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all others." I feel the same about capitalism. It's the worst economic system except for all others.

We are supposed to be a Republic.. democracy is the very worst form of government, and again Capitalism is not Free Enterprise. Capitalism is simple money manipulation for profit that creates no real products or jobs

We are supposed to be a Republic.. democracy is the very worst form of government,

We used to be a republic until the Federal Government far overstepped its bounds. Now we are almost a nation of serfs.

and again Capitalism is not Free Enterprise. Capitalism is simple money manipulation for profit that creates no real products or jobs

What a said outlook. We wouldn't be sitting at computers hooked to the power grid if it weren't for capitalism. Maybe we just aren't speaking the same language.

Can you do a 2XL for my huge cranium?

I could lend you my 2XL, but it would come clear down and cover your eyes and ears. Oops, maybe that's your problem already, LOL. :)

Workman

Just to satisfy your curiosity I have voted a republican ticket since Carter That was a mistake I'll never make again.

As to who am I supporting this time around. I don't know the Republicans haven't named OBAMA'successoror yet

Please correct me if I'm wrong here, but wasn't that pipe line from Canada just to get THEIR oil/gas to the Gulf so Canada could make billions shipping it off to the highest bidders?? The US getting no benefits what so ever from the pipe line? Only some temporary jobs while the pipe line was being built, and a few jobs after completion?

Mike

That would be a step up for job creation than the BHO Feds have done. Beside at least that company would not go bankrupt from a BHO Green Energy Bailout. Not to mention the Fed royalties it would recieve to help pay down the decifit they have created. Ops sorry they don't care about job creation revenue just American redistribution of wealth. My Bad

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top