JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is a repost of an experience I had awhile back. It is in response to another thread involving being pulled over while carrying.

I drove a friend out to the coast last week to pick up his Jeep from his ex. After dropping him off I took a wrong turn while messing with my GPS system and turned onto a road for the state park there. The park was closed and there was a chain across the road so I had to back down the access road to get back to the main road.

When I got back to the road leading up to the highway a police officer was coming the other way. I waited for him to pass and pulled back onto the road and went on my way. I saw him immediately turn around and come up behind me. He turned on his lights and pulled me over.

He came up to the truck window and said hello and asked to see my license. As I handed him both my DL and my CHP I asked what I did wrong. He said he was just checking me out since he had seen me coming out of the closed park and there had recently been a rash of fires started from people going up there to let off illegal fireworks. I said "no problem." I then explained I had just made a wrong turn. He then told me he would be right back and went back to his car. He did not even say a word when he looked at my DL and CHL.

He came back a couple minutes later and said "Sorry for taking up your time." I once again said "no problem."

Then came the shocking part. As he was handing me back my license he asked me what I had to do to get a CHL in Oregon. My first thought was "aren't you an LEO in the state of Oregon?" but my short time as an LEO taught me nothng if not that you should never assume a cop knows the law. Plus, he was pretty young and probably pretty new to the job. I told him and he seemed pretty interested.

The he asked me if I was carrying right now. I told him I was and that it was on my belt at 4 o'clock. He next asked me if I mind telling him what I was carrying.

It was a cool night at the coast so I was wearing a pair of jeans, a printed t-shirt and a light fleece vst. Therefore, I took advantage of the weather and I was carrying my kahr MK40 Elite instead of my Seecamp.

He said he had never seen a Kahr MK40 before and before I could catch myself I said something stupid. I said "would you like to see it?" To my suprise he said sure. He told me to put it on the passenger seat and he would walk around (which I thought was smart of him).

He was very impressed with the gun. He could not believe how small it was and how well made. He said he was looking for a nice off-duty gun and something like this would be perfect. I also suggested he take a look at the ParaOrd SlimHawg .45acp but he said he liked the .40S&W caliber better. I told him that the kahr was super easy to carry and very accurate. He continued to be impressed and we chatted for a good 5-10 minutes then he said he needed to get to work and off I went.

All in all I would say it is one of the few times I have actually enjoyed getting pulled over.

I also think it is a good example of the fact that if you do as you are required and just stay cool having a gun on you legally is no big deal during a traffic stop.

Is it required to show CHL?

Another question is, If I am not carrying it, Do I still need to have CHL with me?

I am not sure about WA, but I do not think so. I am just a firm believer of showing it to avoid the situation of having an officer see something they were not aware of and over-reacting. You do not have to have CHL on you if you are not carrying. But why would you ever take it out of your wallet? Do you remove you DL when you are not driving?

I would hand out to officer too, if I was carrying it.

I was just curious. I had CHL for almost a year, but never carried it. lol I guess I will just put it in the wallet and tell them I am not carrying it.

Originally Posted by Skang
Is it required to show CHL?

Another question is, If I am not carrying it, Do I still need to have CHL with me?

================================

On the bottom portion of a State of Washington License to carry concealed pistol:

You must have your concealed pistol license in your immediate possession at all times that you are required by law to have a concealed pistol license, and you must display it upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when it is required by law to do so. Failure to do so is a class 1 civil infraction, and you will punished accordingly under RCW 7.80.

I have always been told that it is a good thing to do but not required. Said it is worth it to keep officer informed so he doesn't get supprised if he finds out later. I don't always give them my CWP, but I will tell them that I cam carrying and give them my DL. When I was getting my fingerprints taken last time the jailor told me that my CWP status comes up when they run my DL anyways so I figure that it is easier to tell them up front.

Yeah that was the point of the guy I was talking to. He was wanting to just ad a endorsement to the back of the DL like the motorcycle endorsement. IDK makes sence to me.

That's a great story! Thanks for sharing. I've had quite a few good experiences with police. As long as you cooperate with them, and realize they are doing their job, things go smoothly.

I had been pulled over for doing 50 in a 35 in a highway into town area and missed the signs. I admitted fault because I wasn't paying attention, and apologized. The officer thanked me and sent me on my way without a ticket and just asked that I be a little more careful. If I had a CHL, I probably would bring that up right away too, just to avoid any potential hassle or misunderstanding. However, I wouldn't feel comfortable with that being on my driver's license, just for the fact that not everybody who sees my license should be privy to this information.

You are not required until asked to produce it.

All the rest of this is just my opinion. Don't give it voluntarily. Don't tell them. If you are properly concealed they will never know and if you are not then you are in violation of the law already. They can and will get you for that small infraction. LEO's serve a purpose and I respect them but I have no need to do anything BUT the law when I dealing with them. I will not even say hello to one unless I have to.

Oh and I am not and have not ever been in trouble.

With regards to producing it, I've heard mixed information on the subject.

I took my CHL course at a sporting goods store in Clackamas county & it was really a joke & more to teach you how to not go to jail rather than how to handle a firearm IMHO.
In the class, they said that it's not a good idea to bring up the subject of guns while talking to an officer initially, being as they're already on edge at the beginning of every traffic stop..
That made sense, & in clackamas county, I've never seen an officer raise an eyebrow when I didn't tell them at first..

However, in multnomah county, the first thing any officer asks is if I'm carrying.
Then in Washington county, if you don't tell them & they get surprised, they ask you why you withheld the information.

At any rate, i find that I end up talking guns with the officers more often than not during stops...
I carry a Sig-P239 & usually have a G-17 in the glovebox, so it's always nice to have the same, then a better sidearm than the police. :)

Last time I was stopped by a statie, we were talking & he said that the State Troopers will soon be carrying the Smith & Wesson M&P.
not because it's more dependable than the Glock mind you, but because Smith & Wesson is giving them away fro free to departments that currently issue Glocks.

I have been pulled over on two seperate occassions within the last year...

The first time I openly offered my CHL with my DL, the officer briefly looked over my CHL and handed it back to me asked where the pistol was located... "in the center console"... oh, ok thanks.... no biggie, never asked to see it end of subject then gave my wife (riding in the front passenger seat a citation for having the shoulder strap of her seat belt underneath her arm (cursed with ample bossoms)... the reason for the stop LOL!!!

The second time was for doing 71 in a 65 that was construciton zone marked down to 55 that I failed to notice and got zapped by the ze lazer. OSP trooper looked like was barely 18!!! He was polite, attempted the usual tactic of self-incrimination by asking me how fast I thought I was going... I said... 65 (of course..LOL) anyway, I chose not to tell him of my CHL and .45 auto in my lunch box sitting next to me to see what would happen... in Oregon you are NOT required to disclose your CHL unless asked. Nothing happend, never came up... and in the end I got a 30% reduction on the fine from the Hood River Court.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top