JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There are plenty of companies and people who sell reloads for those. You can still get Remington Core-lokt in 7mm STW. It just depends on what you want to spend. Nosler's sells each of those calibers from their Nosler Custom Hand-loaded line.

not to be a kill joy but IRRC its not legal for a private reloader without a FFL to sell re-loaded ammo as such. but maybe you were just asking about commercially available ammo. Your best bet is getting a simple reload setup yourself, but youll only save money if you plan on shooting more than a few boxes each year.

Its legit to shoot another persons' reloads so maybe you can find an experienced reloader and have them assemble your bullets/primers/powder/cases for you . . .

not to be a kill joy but IRRC its not legal for a private reloader without a FFL to sell re-loaded ammo as such. but maybe you were just asking about commercially available ammo. Your best bet is getting a simple reload setup yourself, but youll only save money if you plan on shooting more than a few boxes each year.

Its legit to shoot another persons' reloads so maybe you can find an experienced reloader and have them assemble your bullets/primers/powder/cases for you . . .
This I did not know, thanks. I thought about buying a cheap starter kit but I looked around and I dont think I would have a place to set it up. I may look into it again though as I do shoot alot of 223 but I mostly wanted it to offset the cost of getting a 338 LM which runs around 6$ a shot if buying off the shelf ammo,

If you get into reloading I would recommend a progressive loader. I load .223 with a single stage press and it takes a lot longer than I'd like. Definitely worth the savings!

For the cost of a few boxes of those rounds i'd find some room to start reloading. For less than 2 or 3 boxes of ammo you could get set up and mount your press to a 2X6 and C-clamp it to a table or kitchen bar. I started loading pistol and 308 with a Lee hand press (however sizing those mags might be too much for you and that press). My whole set up fit in a tool box. I'd seriously consider a starter kit. Youtube has some videos with space saving setups.
Handloading can really bring out top accuracy in a rifle and you can tailor your loads for mice to moose. But be careful its addicting...

For the cost of a few boxes of those rounds i'd find some room to start reloading. For less than 2 or 3 boxes of ammo you could get set up and mount your press to a 2X6 and C-clamp it to a table or kitchen bar. I started loading pistol and 308 with a Lee hand press (however sizing those mags might be too much for you and that press). My whole set up fit in a tool box. I'd seriously consider a starter kit. Youtube has some videos with space saving setups.
Handloading can really bring out top accuracy in a rifle and you can tailor your loads for mice to moose. But be careful its addicting...
I was just on Midway looking at the kits but from what I saw, you would still have to buy several things before you could really get going.

its worth it, reloading is fantastic addition to the shooting hobby. Buy a press used, new book, used dies, harbor freight caliper, (some will hate on this)-$40 digi scale, hand primer and your pretty much good to go. Im sure there are many folks in your area that would be happy to give advice and help to get going.

Actually this advice about it being illegal for a non-ffl to sell reloaded ammo is only partially right. The law requires an FFL for anyone who makes a business out of selling firearms or manufacturing ammunition. If someone wants "to do you a favor" and load some ammo, charging what amounts to be expense reimbursement, it's perfectly kosher. If they become a "business" by advertising, operating at significant profit, etc., then the advice is then correct.

Think about it, is it illegal for you to repair a friends rifle and charge him for the costs? Can you sell a few firearms a year without being licensed?

For those who do reload and sell them to "friends", don't overlook the liability issues. You could well be sued if someone ends up with a KaBoom while using your "hand crafted ammo".

338 LM is $120/20rd box!?! um, yeah, reload. you could have a used single stage press, carbide dies, a powder trickler and a scale for the price of one box of ammo. brass, bullets, primers, powder, a dial caliper, and a reloading tray for less than the second box would cost you. 100+ rounds for the cost of 40 factory loads.

338 LM is $120/20rd box!?! um, yeah, reload. you could have a used single stage press, carbide dies, a powder trickler and a scale for the price of one box of ammo. brass, bullets, primers, powder, a dial caliper, and a reloading tray for less than the second box would cost you. 100+ rounds for the cost of 40 factory loads.
That was my thinking. I was hoping I could find some reloads for quite a bit less or get a reloading kit.

Carbide Dies for .338 LM included with all the other stuff mentioned at $120.

There might be a problem with that as Carbide RIFLE dies cost that much for just a sizing die. I doubt that there is even one available for .338 LM.

Agreed, if one likes to shoot a .338 LM a lot, unless they're independently wealthy reloading sure makes sense. Wouldn't even need to go cheap or used. At $120 per box the savings would add up quick.

Now if only their shoulder and ears hold up to shoot all that ammo.

Gee's you can buy a RCBS Rock chucker master starter kit for $319.99 and theres a $50.00 rebate on it so $269.00 after rebate.

RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Single Stage Press Kit

A set of std RCBS .338LM dies run $29.99 at Midway
A proper shell holder another 5-6.00 bucks
your going to want to add a powder trickler to the kit $21.99

Add a few Primer pocket reamers and miss do dads and your going to spend another $50.00

You can fit a reloading set up into an amazingly small area. I know a guy who has his in a fancy antique roll top desk that sits in his living room he unbolts the press and closes the lid and it looks like what it is fancy furniture. I have seen others that are mounted to a chunk of fence post mounted in a 5 gallon bucket full of concrete and sitting in the garage. Sure a nice 4'+ workbench is great but not required.

And for a rifle caliber like .338LM the last thing you want to buy is a progressive. Your going to need some serious strenght and leverage to reload a big case like that.

So are you thinking about buying guns in these calibers and are looking to line up some cheap ammo first?

Reloading is a rewarding hobby, however anyone who is getting into it for the sake of saving money it will be a long time and a lot of rounds before you start to recoup your investments.

The number 1 problem with 338LM is that brass for it, if you can find it is really expensive. You balk at that $6/round price, the brass is $3-4 of that price, so just getting into reloading, or looking for custom reloads is not where you're going to save money.

Cartridges with less demand, 7mm STW, and 7mm RUM are usually cheaper. I know when I was looking at .338 RUM vs .338LM the RUM has better performance, and both the brass and cartridges are less than half the price.

For any of the cartridges you've mentioned, you're going to need something bigger than the run of the mill press. Forster's Co-Ax, RCBS' ammo master, or if you can find one the RCBS BigMax (AC4) will have the power you need to resize those big cases and will still give you enough room to get the case in and out of the die without hanging up on the decapping pin.

Just an FYI, the rock chucker, while a very good press is barely big enough for loading .30-06, and the .338LM is quite a bit longer, especially when you get to bullet seating. I would not recommend that press for your needs.

Update to this. I didn't buy a 338 LM, I ended up getting its slightly ( from what I heard ) meaner brother the 338-378 Weatherby Mag. Is there a nice press/kit I could get for this. I am a tad worried by the last comment that the 338 may be to large for some of the cheaper single stage presses.

Update to this. I didn't buy a 338 LM, I ended up getting its slightly ( from what I heard ) meaner brother the 338-378 Weatherby Mag. Is there a nice press/kit I could get for this. I am a tad worried by the last comment that the 338 may be to large for some of the cheaper single stage presses.

The Single Stage presses offered by RCBS, Hornady, Lyman, etc, will usually handle all the calibers except the 50 BMG. Don't know about the Lee.

Progressive presses are more limited to calibers that are 30-06 sized or shorter.

Not sure why you selected that caliber because it sure isn't any less expensive to reload for. $80 for a box of 20 pieces of brass sure isn't inexpensive.

One thing I've found with all the "bad" Weatherby calibers is that the owners don't end up shooting them much. Both because of the recoil but the cost per shot as well.

Gee's you can buy a RCBS Rock chucker master starter kit for $319.99 and theres a $50.00 rebate on it so $269.00 after rebate.

RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Single Stage Press Kit

A set of std RCBS .338LM dies run $29.99 at Midway
A proper shell holder another 5-6.00 bucks
your going to want to add a powder trickler to the kit $21.99

Add a few Primer pocket reamers and miss do dads and your going to spend another $50.00

You can fit a reloading set up into an amazingly small area. I know a guy who has his in a fancy antique roll top desk that sits in his living room he unbolts the press and closes the lid and it looks like what it is fancy furniture. I have seen others that are mounted to a chunk of fence post mounted in a 5 gallon bucket full of concrete and sitting in the garage. Sure a nice 4'+ workbench is great but not required.

And for a rifle caliber like .338LM the last thing you want to buy is a progressive. Your going to need some serious strenght and leverage to reload a big case like that.

This is what I started with. Great set up to get your feet wet. Its good for up to .50 bmg I believe. I would recommend getting a few reloading manuals. Just for reference. The test guns will vary and so will the powders and such. If you read them cover to cover you will get some cool info and history out of some of them. Or just go straight to the load charts.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top