JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Will I beable to use different dies in different presses? such as a hornady die on a RCBS press? also, are carbide dies worth it? they seem to run 2 or 3x the cost.

Will I beable to use different dies in different presses? such as a hornady die on a RCBS press? also, are carbide dies worth it? they seem to run 2 or 3x the cost.

Almost ALL dies today use the 7/8X14 thread pitch on them so they work in anyone's press. The exceptions I know of are the Wilson type dies that use an arbor press or mallet and the Dillon Square Deal B press which uses special dies.

If you opt for a Breech Lock Press or a Lock-N-Load press from Hornady, their Quick Change bushings only work in the same press but the bushings will accept ALL standard dies.

As for Carbide Dies, they're only worthwhile for straight walled pistol cases or the few straight walled rifle cases. Any Carbide die for a "bottle necked" rifle case is totally unnecessary unless you're operating a high production press where wear just might be an issue.

Carbide dies need no lube when used with straight walled cases but even the hugely expensive carbide rifle dies require the use of lube.

Carbide dies are only available for a limited number of rifle cases but not needed or worth the money for the small reloader. Pistol Carbide Dies are a good tool and the best value is available from Lee. The carbide is only used in the sizing die. Many will buy a RCBS or Hornady die set then add a Lee Sizing die, spending less than the carbide set from the more expensive sources.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top