JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Skagit Arms in Burlington has been scalping since the prices went south.
They lost any respect that I had for them.
I refuse to buy from them any more.
I will go the hell with out before I give them a dime.

I still can't get primers wholesale so I've been buying them on the secondary market. So far recently I was able to get 5000 Large pistol for $65.00/1000 and 4000 small pistol for $50/1000. I'm thinking it won't be long before I can get them for $32.00/1000 wholesale.

It appears there are two markets for primers, a) black market sellers on Gunbroker etc. plus local gun shops that charge what the panic market will bear, and b) reputable online suppliers like Midway, Grafs and MidSouth. The mystery is, why do the large online suppliers are permanently out of stock.

Several months ago, I put notification requests in for large pistol primers of any brand at all my usual online sources and have heard nothing since. What happened to the supply chain? The black market is getting all of the supply, which should be considerable at this point. Federal, Winchester, CCI and Remington have not stopped producing, on the contrary, why then are Midway et al not getting any at all? Heaven help us if the gun haters ever get the power to restrict availability of reloading components even further.

You missed the third and largest user of primers and that is the major ammunition manufactures. With the demand for guns skyrocketing the demand for ammo has gone thru the roof as well. All the primers are going into ammo with none leftover for us. That's why you are seeing more ammo on the shelf but no reloading componates. Most of the secondary market primers I'm seeing is stuff that has been sitting in a closet somewhere for some time and no one is selling over a few thousand at a time.

It appears there are two markets for primers, a) black market sellers on Gunbroker etc. plus local gun shops that charge what the panic market will bear, and b) reputable online suppliers like Midway, Grafs and MidSouth. The mystery is, why do the large online suppliers are permanently out of stock.

Several months ago, I put notification requests in for large pistol primers of any brand at all my usual online sources and have heard nothing since. What happened to the supply chain? The black market is getting all of the supply, which should be considerable at this point. Federal, Winchester, CCI and Remington have not stopped producing, on the contrary, why then are Midway et al not getting any at all? Heaven help us if the gun haters ever get the power to restrict availability of reloading components even further.
Black market? Hardly.

Free market. It is what it is.

I can empathize with a new reloader whom is ALSO new to firearms. As in new since the plandemic.

Folks who've been around a while? Nope. Should know better having been through such before.

Edit: there are FEW exceptions to this. The small manufacturer whom can't stockpile, as well as folks for whatever reasons couldn't afford to. Most folks whom complain could have stocked up, but chose not to.

Even folks whom haven't been thru a blight should have known about them, and headed advice freely available.

Last Edited:

Actually, Midway, Graf's, Brownells, and MidSouth have primers available periodically. The problem is that the small amounts they receive are quickly (almost instantly) grabbed by primer starved customers. The other problem is that some online vendors limit buyers to a single brick of primers, which when combined with shipping and hazmat charges make the price north of $100 per brick. Too rich for my blood.
You also left off the other source, local Sportsman's Warehouses. I was able to buy my one brick maximum last week, Federal Gold Medal Match small pistol magnum primers for $48.99 plus tax. I had a brick of Federal 205 small rifle primers in my hand yesterday with a price of $42.99. I decided to put it back on the shelf since I have a decent supply of small rifle primers and prefer those with thicker cups. The catch there is you need to be one of the 20 to 30 people in line when they open, because they also run out quickly when they are on the shelf.
Persistent patience produces primers. I am heading back right now to get in line in case they have some large pistol or large rifle available today.
Good luck!

The catch there is you need to be one of the 20 to 30 people in line when they open, because they also run out quickly when they are on the shelf.
Persistent patience produces primers. I am heading back right now to get in line in case they have some large pistol or large rifle available today.
Good luck!
Tell us, when they open the doors at Sportsman's Warehouse, do all those people in line run and make a mad dash for the primer shelf? Or do they pretend to be orderly and walk briskly? When all 30 get to the primers more or less at the same time, is it pretty orderly? Does SW have a monitor on hand to keep it orderly? Just wondering. Since they seem to be limited as to quantity allowed, maybe they'd do better to set up a table to deal with this rush, make each guy go through the line one at a time. Dole them out until they are gone, then fold up the table until the next day. Just an idea.

I don't wait in lines, I don't have enough time left in life to waste on it. But I happened to be near Cabela's the other day and decided to drop by the gun dept. just for laughs, as I hadn't been in there for over a year. Of course primer availability was zilch, zero, null, nada, zip, bupkis. But they used to be on shelve that were self served. I noticed that now the would-be primer shelves are behind a counter (barrier).

As to guns in stock at Cabela's, that really was worth a laugh. The used long gun racks that used to be in front of the Library were gone. The glass cases in the Library were quite vacant, occupancy rate of about 15%.

Re. primers from Midway, et al, nominally available online but not very often, thanks maybe in part to bots. With quantity restrictions, the shipping and hazmat drive the price to unacceptable levels.

Actually, Midway, Graf's, Brownells, and MidSouth have primers available periodically. The problem is that the small amounts they receive are quickly (almost instantly) grabbed by primer starved customers. The other problem is that some online vendors limit buyers to a single brick of primers, which when combined with shipping and hazmat charges make the price north of $100 per brick. Too rich for my blood.
You also left off the other source, local Sportsman's Warehouses. I was able to buy my one brick maximum last week, Federal Gold Medal Match small pistol magnum primers for $48.99 plus tax. I had a brick of Federal 205 small rifle primers in my hand yesterday with a price of $42.99. I decided to put it back on the shelf since I have a decent supply of small rifle primers and prefer those with thicker cups. The catch there is you need to be one of the 20 to 30 people in line when they open, because they also run out quickly when they are on the shelf.
Good luck!
The one brick limit sucks but at least it gives more people a chance purchase some. The $100 a brick after haz mat seems to be equal to the average prices I am seeing here on NWFA classifieds. Given an equal product and price, I would probably buy local instead of risking that the shipped product might get lost or damaged in delivery. I bought powder from cabelas once and a blue dot container lid was broken and loose powder flakes were in the box. Cabelas sent me a replacement and didn't want the broken container back.

Tell us, when they open the doors at Sportsman's Warehouse, do all those people in line run and make a mad dash for the primer shelf? Not that I have seen so far.Or do they pretend to be orderly and walk briskly? Pretty much, a few of us walk rapidly. I would say half race to the ammo shelves, while the other half heads for powder and primers.When all 30 get to the primers more or less at the same time, is it pretty orderly? It is a bit of a grab fest, you snooze, you lose. The primers are usually gone in the first 5 minutes, since they rarely have more than 10 or 15 bricks on the shelf (and frequently have none). Does SW have a monitor on hand to keep it orderly? Nope, just relying on people's common courtesy. (This isn't Seattle or Portland ;)). Just wondering. Since they seem to be limited as to quantity allowed, maybe they'd do better to set up a table to deal with this rush, make each guy go through the line one at a time. Dole them out until they are gone, then fold up the table until the next day. Just an idea. A goood idea, maybe a queuing line in front of the doors, too. I won't hold my breath. They did that for a while with ammo at the gun counter, where people lined up. But now that they have more ammo on the shelves, they discontinued the practice, as well as raising the maximum purchase from 2 boxes to 5 boxes per person per day.

I don't wait in lines, I don't have enough time left in life to waste on it. But I happened to be near Cabela's the other day and decided to drop by the gun dept. just for laughs, as I hadn't been in there for over a year. Of course primer availability was zilch, zero, null, nada, zip, bupkis. But they used to be on shelve that were self served. I noticed that now the would-be primer shelves are behind a counter (barrier).

As to guns in stock at Cabela's, that really was worth a laugh. The used long gun racks that used to be in front of the Library were gone. The glass cases in the Library were quite vacant, occupancy rate of about 15%.

Re. primers from Midway, et al, nominally available online but not very often, thanks maybe in part to bots. With quantity restrictions, the shipping and hazmat drive the price to unacceptable levels.

I have maybe 80% of parts & supplies to reload. By the time I get everything it probably won't be cost effective. Haven't come across any primers. I found powder once but even the shop said they didn't know alot about the brand.

Now ammo is showing up but at inflated prices. Still a good sign. One place had quite a bit of 223/308. Just over the ouch price. I think ammo price will drop before primers & powder are readily available. Steel case 223 ammo still over $11.

Last Edited:
I have maybe 80% of parts & supplies to reload. By the time I get everything it probably won't be cost effective. Haven't come across any primers. I power once but even the shop said they didn't know alot about the brand.

Now ammo is showing up but at inflated prices. Still a good sign. One place had quite a bit of 223/308. Just over the ouch price. I think ammo price will drop before primers & powder are readily available. Steel case 223 ammo still over $11.
Keep trucking along.

Its a skill well worth learning. Particularly for folks whom enjoy shooting.

It's better to have and not need, than need and not have...

Put in an order of Ramshot Zip, a powder I like for 9mm, the other day @ Powdervalley.

Because it was available, price was comparatively reasonable, "limit" at 4 of any size. Have "a bunch", but "more" at a sensible price (now), while still available works for me...

...have a feeling this one will be prolonged due to the Russian ban.

-No primers that I saw. Am reasonably set, so will wait.

Was on our way to the shrimp shack in anacortes and decided to call up a couple of gun shops for primers and found out north sound had primers so we decided to stopped by but as we were checking out I realized the prices was 130$ per brick! I returned the primers obviously but the guy up front said all primers prices are sky high now and they buy at 90$ a brick? Do you think that's believable?

View attachment 874624
Many people are saying, things will return to normal again. I saw recently Brownell's had a very limited amount of primers for $75+/1,000, plus Hazmat & shipping, pushing the price well over $100. We need to remember, this time, it is "not normal", there are to many variables working against us, the elections, the pandemic, more people than ever buying guns and ammo, those "in the know" buying all they can get. Think way back when (couple decades ago) gas prices went up to $3.50-$4.00 a gallon or more, USPS-UPS-FedEx all raised their prices. Even when prices of gas came back down, did they lower their prices back down? Hell no, they kept raising them, business as usual. Businesses shut down during the pandemic, people left their jobs. All the business, in the guns & ammo trade have been looking to hire. I have seen ammo slowly coming back, even now shelves are almost full of every caliber, but prices are up. Even powders have been showing up, with an increase of $5-$15 a pound. I've seen very few primers showing up in retail stores, if they do, there's a limit of 100-200 and the prices have been $6-$9/100. This may very well be the new norm. For someone as myself, on a fixed income, my dreams and aspirations, to return to loading in the last 2 years, after a absence of 30+ years, is becoming a pipe-dream. Knowing if I sold everything I've accumulated, I may even show a profit, makes me sick to contemplate.

Many people are saying, things will return to normal again. I saw recently Brownell's had a very limited amount of primers for $75+/1,000, plus Hazmat & shipping, pushing the price well over $100. We need to remember, this time, it is "not normal", there are to many variables working against us, the elections, the pandemic, more people than ever buying guns and ammo, those "in the know" buying all they can get. Think way back when (couple decades ago) gas prices went up to $3.50-$4.00 a gallon or more, USPS-UPS-FedEx all raised their prices. Even when prices of gas came back down, did they lower their prices back down? Hell no, they kept raising them, business as usual. Businesses shut down during the pandemic, people left their jobs. All the business, in the guns & ammo trade have been looking to hire. I have seen ammo slowly coming back, even now shelves are almost full of every caliber, but prices are up. Even powders have been showing up, with an increase of $5-$15 a pound. I've seen very few primers showing up in retail stores, if they do, there's a limit of 100-200 and the prices have been $6-$9/100. This may very well be the new norm. For someone as myself, on a fixed income, my dreams and aspirations, to return to loading in the last 2 years, after a absence of 30+ years, is becoming a pipe-dream. Knowing if I sold everything I've accumulated, I may even show a profit, makes me sick to contemplate.
I think prices will moderate once everybody has stocked up. It might take awhile but unless regulations shut down production capacity product availability should continue to increase.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top