JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Looks like shipped primer prices are all near $100+ per brick now. That matches secondary market prices. When do you think prices will get back to "normal" and what will that normal be?

It will go back down when people refuse to pay the higher prices.
Since the primers are selling out as fast as they appear online, I am guessing that won't be anytime soon. I noticed the older primers are hanging around longer at $100 a brick price but lower than that even the old ones seem to sell quickly. Most of the popular stick powders are the same way.

Since the primers are selling out as fast as they appear online, I am guessing that won't be anytime soon. I noticed the older primers are hanging around longer at $100 a brick price but lower than that even the old ones seem to sell quickly. Most of the popular stick powders are the same way.
I have noticed that as well and it sucks cause the powders I've found I like are most of the popular ones. :( I've started looking for less popular ones that I might like. Know of any? Lol

I have noticed that as well and it sucks cause the powders I've found I like are most of the popular ones. :( I've started looking for less popular ones that I might like. Know of any? Lol
Pistol powders are more widely available including the magnum pistol powders. I recently ordered two uppers chambered in cartridges that can utilize the magnum pistol powders like 4227, 1680, lil gun, etc. Magnum rifle powders are more available too.

I predict when primers are finally in residence on stores shelves regularly, they'll be in the $50-$60/1k price range. Perhaps as early as next summer, unless of course this administration pulls something to create another buying crisis…

How much people are willing to pay is simply a function of how many people want them, and how badly they want them. You and I can refuse to pay $100/k all day long, but so long as there are 10,000,000 others who want them badly enough to pay that, then that's what the price will be.

When supply increases (imports or new plants), or demand decreases because everyone has enough, prices will naturally fall. I'm with nammac, I think somewhere under $60, maybe even $40? I don't know. If it weren't for inflation and other factors, I'd say they could go right down to what they used to be; it just depends on demand.

I've often heard people say, whether in regards to primers, ammo, or gasoline, "Now that they've found out what people will pay, they'll keep these prices high forever!"

Well, it doesn't work that way. Some greedy corporate fat-cat finding out what people will pay is ultimately irrelevant to the market. "What people will pay" IS the determining factor, but that amount varies widely, and is exactly what causes the market to fluctuate. The primer-buying public is willing to pay a lot more during a panic, than in times of plenty.

People are fickle. It's possible that a couple years from now, the average primer-buyer could be looking at his cases of primers in his closet, and a (hopefully) change in the political climate, and wondering why he has so many. Suddenly he's not willing to pay very much for any more. You get a few million people not buying any more, and the shelves are full. At that point, prices will drop. They'll be begging people to buy them, just to get some cash flow. How low will they go? That all depends.

My latest primer purchase:
685EF3F1-37A2-4E50-82A3-031B8A30F327.jpeg
kind of exciting for me because I have never tried the CCI No. 41 primers before. Perseverance pays off.

I think that a lot of the older people who may or may not have newer or older stock will cut down some more in their supplies. From PRIMERS to x, y and z!

I have seen this with some people that we know who are retired as we are.

My husband has cut down on some of his own supplies when it comes to reloading.
NOT only just when he downsized ALL of his firearms or when he consolidated MANY of his firearm calibers.

He still ENJOYS reloading and he has reloaded since the early 70's. I do not reload and I never did reload.

He gave a BUNCH away several years ago to a friend in small pistol primers. ALL of it went bye bye to a close friend. A Veteran. (Other stuff got gifted and/or sold at our cost too.)

Pistol wise?

My husband ONLY reloads for 45acp pistols. He only owns 45acp and 22lr handguns now too.

He sold some primers (NOT tons.) to another friend - rifle primers. Ones that he no longer needed. (We do NOT have tons of primers on hand.)

He has primers on hand for reloading ONE small caliber rifle (.223) and large caliber rifles (30-30, 30-06 and 45-70).

He has been shooting MORE 22lr and 22wmr rifles on and off for the last year or so but then he will ALL OF A SUDDEN decide to shoot MORE CF rifles too. LOL

I have calculated HIS RF shooting habits when it comes to all of our factory ammunition in 22lr and 22wmr pretty good too.

My shooting habits are EXTREMELY LOW now. So what suits me NOW to keep up my skills and safe handling is way, way down there.

And if they go even lower... more gifts will be made to my husband from ME.

Cate
PS: I read a bunch of gun stuff online. Lots of old timers like us (This is NOT a slam when I say this so NO offense to older people HERE.) are selling and gifting their STUFF like us too. Family and friends. Plus a lot of old guys are getting shaky or arthritic hands or they have eye issues even with surgery.

I know of several cases, close to ten for sure, up close and personal friends (Dead and alive!) who planned ahead with their GUN STUFF and a few of them did NOT do this and the widows (Other family members too!) in some cases sure wish that they had PLANNED AHEAD because it was a ROYAL MESS with the PILES of RELOADING supplies and OTHER gun stuff that they had to deal with. And some of this was NOT while the fake/real 'shortages' were going on too. So it was NOT like people were BEGGING for supplies.

I can SEE planning ahead and at different stages of life and health every single individual has to do what is right for HIM or her when it comes to their stuff and NOT only when it comes to firearm related stuff.

Last Edited:
How much people are willing to pay is simply a function of how many people want them, and how badly they want them. You and I can refuse to pay $100/k all day long, but so long as there are 10,000,000 others who want them badly enough to pay that, then that's what the price will be.

When supply increases (imports or new plants), or demand decreases because everyone has enough, prices will naturally fall. I'm with nammac, I think somewhere under $60, maybe even $40? I don't know. If it weren't for inflation and other factors, I'd say they could go right down to what they used to be; it just depends on demand.

I've often heard people say, whether in regards to primers, ammo, or gasoline, "Now that they've found out what people will pay, they'll keep these prices high forever!"

Well, it doesn't work that way. Some greedy corporate fat-cat finding out what people will pay is ultimately irrelevant to the market. "What people will pay" IS the determining factor, but that amount varies widely, and is exactly what causes the market to fluctuate. The primer-buying public is willing to pay a lot more during a panic, than in times of plenty.

People are fickle. It's possible that a couple years from now, the average primer-buyer could be looking at his cases of primers in his closet, and a (hopefully) change in the political climate, and wondering why he has so many. Suddenly he's not willing to pay very much for any more. You get a few million people not buying any more, and the shelves are full. At that point, prices will drop. They'll be begging people to buy them, just to get some cash flow. How low will they go? That all depends.

I hope that people can FIND PRIMERS and other reloading stuff at a reasonable cost.

Lots of people are GIFTING and a few are selling but not all of them are doing it for the MONEY.

It is due to their shooting habits and changes in ALL or many of their firearms.

Throw in physical issues and age related issues. Moving short distances or across the country. Downsizing or going the route of traveling like some retired and even younger people are doing now too. Many people do not really have a HOME/LAND base as MOST of us do. They may have a mailing address or at a relative or friend's place but they are ON THE ROAD. NOT just senior citizens who are already retired too.

Plus I bet that SOME, not all, people realized that they were NOT into reloading or even LIKED to reload so even though they TRIED TO DO THIS while barely finding products recently or when they could FIND products in the PAST... they decided not to continue on with it.

I hope that the men/women who are in the reloading business CAN CONTINUE to find products since that has been very difficult for them to do too.

Cate

I predict when primers are finally in residence on stores shelves regularly, they'll be in the $50-$60/1k price range. Perhaps as early as next summer, unless of course this administration pulls something to create another buying crisis…
That is kind of like what my husband thinks too.

But he said that there are NO absolutes.

Side note:

Regarding the BP - Black Powder stories in the news even right before it was PUT up here on this forum - BP section - we were following many stories about BLACK POWDER and other shortages or this or that not being found.

When I read the one story, not here on this forum, about the BP factory closing up, my husband and I did some searches online, NOT in our own LOCAL stores, and ONE PLACE had a bit of SWISS BP online PLUS the high cost of shipping and hazmat fees added on as they do.

We do NOT buy online but we were curious what was there in BP when we read the news stories and off of the one Hodgdon Website. ADDED more.

Effective immediately, Hodgdon Powder Company, Inc. has made the decision to cease manufacturing operations at the company's Camp Minden, Louisiana site while evaluating strategic options for the black powder business.

The business will wind down operations while an evaluation process on the future of the black powder business takes place. Strategic options for the GOEX and Olde Eynsford brands of black powder, along with the manufacturing capabilities, will include a potential sale of the business. All affected employees will be retained through December 31, 2021 to assist in an orderly closing of the site and receive severance commensurate with their years of service to the company.

The Hodgdon Powder Co., Inc has been honored to have been a part of the GOEX Powder legacy and sustains a fond appreciation for sporting customers who have enjoyed shooting GOEX powders.

About Hodgdon Powder Company, Inc.

Established in 1947 by Bruce and Amy Hodgdon, today, sons J.B. and Bob have grown Hodgdon Powder Company into the largest US supplier of smokeless, blackpowder and blackpowder substitute propellants. The company distributes gunpowder under the Hodgdon®, IMR®, Ramshot®, Acccurate®, Winchester®, Pyrodex®, Triple Seven®, Blackhorn 209® and GOEX® brands.

Learn more about the brands at these websites – www.Hodgdon.com, www.IMRPowder.com, www.WinchesterPowder.com, www.Ramshot.com, www.AccuratePowder.com, or www.GoexPowder.com and connect with the Hodgdon brand on Facebook or YouTube.

~~~

The industry has some people between a rock and a hard place especially for the folks who did NOT plan ahead or IF they did not store a LOT due to FIRE CODES and storage issues where they LIVE.

I know many BP shooters back on the East Coast and many in the Great Lakes region. I hope that a few companies step up here stateside. Take over what is closing down.

Plus the European companies can step up too.

Cate

Typo!

Last Edited:
Picked up 1K CCI Large Pistol Primers at Sportsman's Warehouse tonight for $42. While this is higher than what they were last time I bought primers from them when they were more widely available, the price seems fair when you see what other retailers and resellers are asking.

I'm good as far as primers but im still concerned. I have plenty of powder and bullets too but I'm still a little nervous about using it. When it's gone it's gone. A few years ago I bought 7,000 55gr 5.56 bullets now I wish I would have bought more.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top