JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've got a mix of used brass that I've sized/decapped and some of the brass is coming in short of the 'Trim To' length. Most of the short ones are in at the .003"-.005" short. But some are getting close to .008" short. This brass is from some re-man I got from Curt's some years ago. Rolling this around in my head and can't see what any issue would be? Neck tension? If you shot enough of it you might get a carbon line that could cause an issue a suppose? I'll have a Lee factory crimp here tomorrow, so neck tension shouldn't be an issue. I got one of those crimp dies for .30-30 and love it.

So what are the thoughts around this?

We've talked about this brother. In a word reload and shoot. You won't notice any accuracy issues for plunking/paper shooting.

if you are just loading and shooting for fun then load them and shoot them. if maximum accuracy is your goal then toss the short ones and trim all to an exact length, put the same exact load of powder in every one, seat your bullet to the exact same length. etc. etc.

I weigh brass and try to load uniformly. Might be unneeded but sort it that way. Find more accuracy in my Rem 700 in .223 with this extra effort. Sure enough shoots nicely through AR 15 with after market barrel. Also, use a concentricity gauge to have straightest rounds for best accuracy. Those that are not straight and are shorter get fired and brass is scrap metal or donated to range. Ain't it fun to accumulate brass, bullets and with the hope and prayer it remains ammo for the range and not self preservation.

I trim 0.015" short for using a x-die. After that they don't get trimmed again and will start to very as they grow. This is for 100-600 yard match loads. I see no difference in accuracy from when I trimmed to 1.750 every resizing.

I trim 0.015" short for using a x-die. After that they don't get trimmed again and will start to very as they grow. This is for 100-600 yard match loads. I see no difference in accuracy from when I trimmed to 1.750 every resizing.
They've just got something for everything! Don't they? :D

I load a lot of range brass. I get a lot of 223 that is short of the trim length. I load it shoot it and load it again.
For the crimped primer pockets I made an adapter for the pocket reamer bit and place it in my cordless screwdriver. And get them done faster then on the dillion 600 swagger.

I load a lot of range brass. I get a lot of 223 that is short of the trim length. I load it shoot it and load it again.
For the crimped primer pockets I made an adapter for the pocket reamer bit and place it in my cordless screwdriver. And get them done faster then on the dillion 600 swagger.
You ARE the "Brass" man, man! :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR