JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As others have said save the IMR 4064 for your 30/06. It is a PIA to shake that stick powder in
that little 223 case. W 748 is my favorite power for the lighter bullets. Meters perfect. A fast twist
rate rifle can shoot the lighter weight bullets giving excellent accuracy. The 53 or 52 SMK and 26 grains
of W 748 shoots tiny groups with any twist barrel. Brass type and manufacture makes a big
difference in group size. I have never got LC brass to shoot as well as Winchester brass.
Rem 6 1/2 primers are not recommended for 223. It is for a lower psi calibers. I too recommend
the WFT trimmer. I load a lot of 55 FMJ for practice and plinking. Capable of minute of beer can.

Ready to start de-capping/resizing. Using a comparator, (no don't have a case gauge for .223) checking shoulder on some unfired reman and I'm seeing some at .003"-.004" difference, in unfired! Seems strange to me because the 06 and 6.5 Swede I've done, unfired PPU is all the same, and MY sizings of those calibers is within..001"+/- when I'm done. So I guess the question is, for those that use a comparator what 's you bump back? And here I'm measuring the rounds fired from Wifey's AR and they aren't but .001"-.002" over the un-fired brass. I would have thought I'd be looking a at least a .003" bump, if not a little more? Maybe the larger rounds make the brass oversize more? It would be nice to find out a person doesn't have to work these little brasses so much. More loading could be had!

Ready to start de-capping/resizing. Using a comparator, (no don't have a case gauge for .223) checking shoulder on some unfired reman and I'm seeing some at .003"-.004" difference, in unfired! Seems strange to me because the 06 and 6.5 Swede I've done, unfired PPU is all the same, and MY sizings of those calibers is within..001"+/- when I'm done. So I guess the question is, for those that use a comparator what 's you bump back? And here I'm measuring the rounds fired from Wifey's AR and they aren't but .001"-.002" over the un-fired brass. I would have thought I'd be looking a at least a .003" bump, if not a little more? Maybe the larger rounds make the brass oversize more? It would be nice to find out a person doesn't have to work these little brasses so much. More loading could be had!

Unfired doesn't matter. Shoot them to get your datum from the chamber. Resize, bump and trim them. They grow the most when new.

Unfired doesn't matter. Shoot them to get your datum from the chamber. Resize, bump and trim them. They grow the most when new.
The fired brass WAS shot in Wifey's AR. What surprised me was the brass grew very little after be fired in her gun? Almost none, to only .002". I would think it would have grown .002"-.004". I didn't know if .223 fired in an AR grows less than a larger cartridge like 06? I was also surprised to see the un-fired reman ammo varied so much.

The question was how much, generally, do YOU need to bump the shoulder on your AR fired .223? If only .002 +/- than that's a good thing.

They grow the most when new.
This ammo being reman could explain the lack of growth.

New 223 brass can grow up to 003-4". Different manufacturers and probably even lots would vary too. Annealing and sizing affect it. If you don't FL size every time it grows less. Even neck sizing method matters too.

I full length resize for AR's and use chamber gauge. Bolt action I neck size and bump the shoulder back a couple thousands.
Every rifle is different, what fits wifey's ar may not fit any thing else.

You're not trying for 1/2" size groups at 300 yards with and AR. As with any semi auto rifle you're looking for function reliability. Full length resize to factory spec, trim and crimp in the bullets. You don't want any fail to chamber or bullet push backs when the target (animal or zombie) is standing in front of you.

What he said.
For AR-15 reliability size your brass/ bump back the shoulder to what new factory ammo measures.
Accuracy for full sized reloads like this can be outstanding with the right components and
the right AR set up. 1/2 MOA is typically achievable. This is what AR shooters do for Highpower rifle
competition.

What would be some recommended projectiles/weights, and a small assortment for powders. Wifey and I both have generic ARs. Mine was purchased complete from Kurt's 2014ish, and I put Wifey's together from the NWFA lower she won in a raffle a couple of years ago with a complete upper from Palmetto. Hers is a 1-in7 twist, 16". I'm figuring mine is the same twist rate.

Looking at 50, 55 and 60 grain pills my Lyman book shows IMR 4064? I DO have 4064 for the 6.5 Swede and the Garand.

Anyway, just wanting to get a feel for what I'm looking forward to. It's going to be weird sizing those little bitty brasses after doing a couple hundred 6.5 Swede and .30-06 as my first long gun rounds. I have primers and plenty of brass, and presume I could wrangle up some projectiles to play with from someone around here maybe. Without having to give up one of the twins.;)
ive loaded .223 with 4064 topped with 55gr bullets. no Chrono or cloverleafs but i can ring steel at 100yds all day with it.

ive loaded .223 with 4064 topped with 55gr bullets. no Chrono or cloverleafs but i can ring steel at 100yds all day with it.
That's good info. I will if I have to. I've been keeping an eye out for some H335 as it looks like that's recommended the most. I'm in no hurry, I've got a lot of brass to prep and other rounds I can load when I've got the urge to be at the table. And those looong grains of 4064 will ad extra work getting them into those tiny openings! Now that I've found a fair # of crimped .223 and 5.56 I've ordered a good priced RCBS swager die.

That's good info. I will if I have to. I've been keeping an eye out for some H335 as it looks like that's recommended the most. I'm in no hurry, I've got a lot of brass to prep and other rounds I can load when I've got the urge to be at the table. And those looong grains of 4064 will ad extra work getting them into those tiny openings! Now that I've found a fair # of crimped .223 and 5.56 I've ordered a good priced RCBS swager die.
I've got a progressive adapter for swaging primer pockets. I can burn through 500-800 in minutes. Let me know if you ever need a hand. Doing one at a time is a bubblegum!

I've got a progressive adapter for swaging primer pockets. I can burn through 500-800 in minutes. Let me know if you ever need a hand. Doing one at a time is a bubblegum!
EEH, I'v e got the time. Some how I've embraced such things as sizing/decapping hundreds of 9mm rounds. After all I mowed lawns for 30+ years! A good many of them doing 35+ yards a week during peak mowing season. Back and forth, back and forth, for miles. :) I just ordered the RCBS swager too. You know I appreciate your offer Bryan.

Lilhigbee let me borrow his Dillon swager. That's pretty fun to me! I just went thru 200 cases. I was kind of surprised at the difference in thickness of the bases of various brands and slight difference in some primer pockets. I can only imagine the hand priming process if I hadn't used the swager. It ought to be pretty smooth now.

I have a number of .223( and a very few 5.56 too) brass sized and decapped now. I'm measuring a few to see how much I'm goin to have to trim. I'm finding brass that is .002"-.005" BELOW recommended trim length. Most of my sampling will only need .002" trim, give/take a .001". There isn't any reason I shouldn't load those short ones is there? We're only talking .005" max, and OAL in the end will be the same.

I have a number of .223( and a very few 5.56 too) brass sized and decapped now. I'm measuring a few to see how much I'm goin to have to trim. I'm finding brass that is .002"-.005" BELOW recommended trim length. Most of my sampling will only need .002" trim, give/take a .001". There isn't any reason I shouldn't load those short ones is there? We're only talking .005" max, and OAL in the end will be the same.
I wouldn't worry about those short ones unless you were wanting to roll crimp.
On another note, I've heard/read that the Dillon bench mount primer pocket swager is the best of breed.
How did you like it ?

Rem 6 1/2's

I did experience several pierced primers. Loads were Mk 311 frangible 50 grain projos using WC-844.

I have had some Rem 6 1/2 loads come out just fine (no pierced primers) but all were on the minimum/low charge side of load data.

1622413305214.png

I wouldn't worry about those short ones unless you were wanting to roll crimp.
On another note, I've heard/read that the Dillon bench mount primer pocket swager is the best of breed.
How did you like it ?
It's real slick. But from what I see the RCBS press mounted swager SHOULD work just fine for me. It should be the same "feel" I think. I did order one too. $34.00 delivered. That Dillon swager is showing $168.00! At amazon. Lower priced at Sheele's though.

Not doing any roll crimps on .223. And not doing any precision bench rest shooting or anything like that. I also know better than to whip-out 200 rnds until I get a decent load down pat.

It's real slick. But from what I see the RCBS press mounted swager SHOULD work just fine for me. It should be the same "feel" I think. I did order one too. $34.00 delivered. That Dillon swager is showing $168.00! At amazon. Lower priced at Sheele's though.

Not doing any roll crimps on .223. And not doing any precision bench rest shooting or anything like that. I also know better than to whip-out 200 rnds until I get a decent load down pat.
the RCBS primer pocket swager does what its supposed, might give you some blisters if you have enough to do (you'll see) make sure you separate them out by headstamp since the web thickness does vary and you adjust the die based on web thickness. Its not as bad on the 5.56 brass but if you try to swage mixed stamped 30-06 it will stop you in your tracks.

the RCBS primer pocket swager does what its supposed, might give you some blisters if you have enough to do (you'll see) make sure you separate them out by headstamp since the web thickness does vary and you adjust the die based on web thickness. Its not as bad on the 5.56 brass but if you try to swage mixed stamped 30-06 it will stop you in your tracks.
I adjusted this Dillon so on thicker brass I didn't force the handle all the way down. But figure the pocket was uniform with a very slight taper at the edge of the pocket on all cases.

I adjusted this Dillon so on thicker brass I didn't force the handle all the way down. But figure the pocket was uniform with a very slight taper at the edge of the pocket on all cases.
One trick I use on the RCBS swager is a little dab of lube on the piece that is inserted into the primer pocket. It prevents it from hanging up and requiring excessive force to get it to "let go" of the case. Since I try to swage the primer pockets prior to wet tumbling, any traces of lube are removed by the dawn dish soap and water, so no need to worry about lube contaminating the new primer.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top