JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

which powder would you use

• Ramshot TAC

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Hodgdon Benchmark

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Reloder 10x

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ramshot Exterminator

• Accurate 2460

• Alliant AR-Comp

• Total voters
I would try the TAC first. Accurate 2230 or 2200 might be a good choice for the lighter Bullets as well.
Thanks for the reply. I have loaded guide a few with 27.5 gr of TAC over the years. I listed the powders I have on hand to see if there was a consensus for one of the other options.

Benchmark would be my choice of the powders listed and would get you top velocities.
Thanks for the reply. I pulled one of the factory rounds and was surprised that it contained a short cut extruded powder. (I assumed it would be a ball powder). The powder charge weighed 25.9 gr, and I am guessing it is either Benchmark or AR-Comp.

My most accurate load but not the fastest with 40 grain bullets was built with H335
Thanks for the reply. I used to load H-335, but switched to Ramshot TAC years ago. It seemed to match H-335 in accuracy and velocity and also seemed to burn cleaner. Also, it was really cheap in 8 lb kegs for a while.

Case full of W-748.
Thanks for the reply. The Nosler manual lists W-748 as the most accurate powder in their testing with the 40 gr bullet, but I hate giving up 200 - 300 FPS compared to other powders. I think W-748 is a little too slow for the real light bullets to reach maximum velocity and "target lift off". :D

Anything with a burn rate between H4198 and Varget. My choice is IMR 8208 XBR. The hard part is finding any of the above. Randy
Thanks for the reply. I have tried IMR-8208 XBR and like it with heavier bullets, but it seems a little slow and bulky to get top velocity with the lightweights. Besides, I need to save it for my son's .338 Federal. I tried H-4198 years ago and was disappointed with the velocities and accuracy. It is the one powder I would never use again in .223/5.56, but I know a lot of people swear by it. I just swore at it. ;)

What ever you load and works for you! No one can tell you what what will work best in your rifle and works best for you. Just have fun!
Thanks for the reply. I realize that each firearm is unique when it comes to what they prefer, but I was curious to see what others preferred. I listed the powders I have on hand, and have since also acquired a pound of AR-Comp to try. It is almost as hard to come by as Varget, IMR-8208XBR, H-1000, Reloder 23 and 26.

Thanks for the reply. The Nosler manual lists W-748 as the most accurate powder in their testing with the 40 gr bullet, but I hate giving up 200 - 300 FPS compared to other powders. I think W-748 is a little too slow for the real light bullets to reach maximum velocity and "target lift off". :D
Ah yes, the old velocity VS accuracy argument. Everyone needs to find that happy middle ground and only you can decide what that is for you. Me, I shoot a bolt gun with 50 gr Speer TNT bullets and W-748 powder. I don't think the Sage Rats can tell if they were hit by a bullet going 2900 fps or 3100fps.

Ah yes, the old velocity VS accuracy argument. Everyone needs to find that happy middle ground and only you can decide what that is for you. Me, I shoot a bolt gun with 50 gr Speer TNT bullets and W-748 powder. I don't think the Sage Rats can tell if they were hit by a bullet going 2900 fps or 3100fps.
I agree that the Sage Rats can't tell the difference between 2900 FPS or 3100 FPS, but I can tell the difference between a 40 gr V-Max or Ballistic Tip at 3600 FPS vs a 50 gr TNT at 3100fps, particularly at closer ranges. :s0001: (The red neck version of "making it rain".)

My thought on reloading in general. I don't try to duplicate someone else's load, I try to make better than. If the best I can do is just as good then I'll buy their's and do something else with my time.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top