JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
W231/Blue Dot/Red Dot for 45 (depending on what bullet/load)

231 for generic 230 grain ball loads

Blue Dot for screaming fast 185 grain hollowpoints

Red Dot for cheap, dirty shooting lead bullet reloads

W748/H335 for 5.56. I usually buy 748 because it is also excellent for 7.62 NATO loads and also 30-06

Lots of folks said WW231 for 45acp, its a good one. Also HS-6, or HS-7.

223 as mentioned H335 is good. I've had excellent results with '10x' from Alliant.

I have used the WIN Auto-comp for the last year and a half, before that I used WIN Action Pistol (Discontinued) since '91.
Too many choices for the 223. I like Varget for consistancy with 55fmjs, but sometimes need a drop tube to get the long kernels thru the small short neck. AA2015 for a 60gr VMAX Coyote bomb. RL15 for 69gr+ HPBT Match. I'm currently trying AR-Comp and CFE-223. I don't like the CFE-223 because it is a ball powder and I'm getting inconsistant speeds, but for some unknown reason good accuracy. The AR-Comp is very promising, short-cut extruded, good speed consistancy and the magic 25gr-3000fps in an 18" bbl.

Hey civilian75, What's your Titegroup recipe for 45ACP? I've been using Unique but since I've been doing mostly Cowboy Action, I've become very fond of Titegroup.

I need to work up a batch for Wild Bunch and have to make power factor of 150. I have 200 LSWC's from Lasercast.

My 45ACp pet load: 5.0gr Titegroup under any bullet between 185gr and 230gr. Regardless of bullet weight, if plated or cast bullet, you will get around 850fps in a 5in bbl if seating to approx same OAL. With jacketed, about 50fps slower. Yeap, sounds crazy, but I've found it to be true.

Commercially, titegroup and HP-38 are the most popular for most auto pistol loads, so 9mm/40S&W/.45ACP are all loaded with great success with these two powders.

For .223 H335/SMP735 are the most common commercial powder, however for retail reloaders the new hotness is that Hodgdon CFE-223. It's supposed to eliminate copper fouling, and is one of those powders that was originally an OEM only powder hornady was using and from what I've read it shows a lot of promise. Western's TAC is another good powder, and the old-standby of Varget is a good choice, but doesn't perform as well in .223 as it does in bigger cartridges.

BTW with 62 grain steel core FMJ bullets I am getting sub MOA with W748/5.56 military brass loads in several AR15s and one of my mini 14s. Start at 24 grains and work up

I really like AA2230 for AR-15 loads. Burns cleaner in my AR's than H335. Also found it to be cheaper in some cases. Meters well and loads are consistent when chronographed. I usually buy it 32# at a time.

There is a new powder that everyone is raving about. CFE 223 from Hodgdon is supposed to cut copper fouling tremendously in the .223 rounds. Haven't tried it yet but based on the "chatter", I'll probably try it on 1,000 rounds or so to give it a good evaluation.

5 grs redot, 230 lead or jacketed bullets +/- .2 grains check you load manuals

24.5 grs Accurate 2230, same for x-terminator, or Accurate 2200.. loading 50-62 gr bullets
just my econonical .o2c

I've been using Clays in my 1911 200 grain cast bullets.burns clean and sounds very consistant shot to shot.Have not chrono'ed it yet,but it 'sounds' good. works great in 45 colt loads too.

"The" powder for .45ACP, whether military loadings or target/Bullseye shooting, has been Bullseye since about 1911.
I get better accuracy with 231/HP38 or AA2. Never had much success accuracy-wise with any powder much faster than AA5, except HS7/571 (which is dead).
I would think any one who is starting to reload any pistol, except certain BIG magnums, can't go wrong by starting with 231/HP38.
.223 will depend somewhat on what bullet weight you will be shooting. I like H322 and BL-C(2), but many swear by H335.

If you are doing cowboy loading 45 try using clays ... I load 10 to 15 thousand a year and clays works clean and with low recoil at 5.0 grains in either 45acp or 45 LC...
Hey civilian75, What's your Titegroup recipe for 45ACP? I've been using Unique but since I've been doing mostly Cowboy Action, I've become very fond of Titegroup.

I need to work up a batch for Wild Bunch and have to make power factor of 150. I have 200 LSWC's from Lasercast.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top