JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I agree with Goose, a loaner program between members would sure be an enabler for many to do more of their own projects, and it would be a great way for members to help each other and get to know each other "off line" as well as sharing a hands on learning experience, we all benifit!!!

I agree with Goose, a loaner program between members would sure be an enabler for many to do more of their own projects, and it would be a great way for members to help each other and get to know each other "off line" as well as sharing a hands on learning experience, we all benifit!!!

I would be up for that, with certain provisions outlined beforehand of course. Not sure anyone would want to deal with the shipping to/from Alabama though;)

While not really a "loaner" program ... y'all are more than welcome to pick my brains on a antique / muzzle loading gun question or see my guns when up this way.

As to the working of others guns ... I have done it before , but I am not a smith.
But I do know what is within my ability to work on or fix....I do not stray from my ability "level" so to speak ... and if parts are broken , then they are to be replaced , without charge.
Andy

Well, he as agreed to properly repair the spot and refinish the entire thing, no charge of course.

Ill be taking it to @NWCustomFirearms beforehand to get his opinion on the condition of the receiver...

Assuming Jon gives it a green light for being safe to fire, Ill take it in to CCG to refinish. I told him Id give him a chance to make it right, so I will give him that chance...
I figure the worst case scenario now is the botches the finish job... in that case, I can blast it off and take it in to Jon for a proper job.

Just for fun, here is the rifle in question.
Sort of a mock-up since the new barrel wont fit the original stock, but you get the idea.
View attachment 377062
View attachment 377063

The best part is... someday I will get to shoot it.;)

Really damn fine looking rifle. Shame this bozo screwed up the job like that.

You know. I hate to be the one that brings this up, but if he buggered an easy operation like this, one part of his process was to test the headspace as he tightened up the barrel. Do you suppose that he actually did that correctly? I rather think I would have someone else with the gauges check that headspace out if it were me.

You know. I hate to be the one that brings this up, but if he buggered an easy operation like this, one part of his process was to test the headspace as he tightened up the barrel. Do you suppose that he actually did that correctly? I rather think I would have someone else with the gauges check that headspace out if it were me.
Excellent points, he mentioned having issues with the bottom lug indexing and having to tighten and loosen the barrel nut several times, this tells me he dosnt know what he is doing, especially on a Savage, which isn't all that hard to do!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Yes. On a savage, there's an indexing point on the recoil lug which fits in the receiver. You can't put it in anyway but the right way. So I don't understand the multiple loosening and tightning. I also think he may have been using a monkey wrench. I have a receiver wrench and there are no teeth on it at all. I usually use the blue masking tape just to hide the edges on the contact points . But I've never we put a scratch on any of my receivers

Thankfully, a savage receiver is a pretty stout piece and would not likely have any wattage or twist, but still a good idea to have it checked, and I would have Jon pull the barrel and 're install it whilst setting headspace the proper way, that way he can sign off on it as being good to go. Worst case, I bet he can self up the damage and make it go away, or blend it in!!!

I guess with the loosening/tightening comment, he's trying to make things sound more complicated.....

anyhow, Jon have it the green light so I'll take it to CCG next week. (he had to order my color)

we'll see

that was the issue...

barrel vise, nut wrench & gauges would've put me out $150 or so for a project that I wouldn't do again... A 'smith could do it for under $100...

i don't know anyone who has that kind of gear to borrow from either. Otherwise I would've loved doing it myself
Part of being a professional gunsmith is being tooled up properly.
Using tools out of the kitchen junk drawer doesn't cut it.

I guess I should have had a come to jesus talk with that Les Schwab tire monkey before he goobered up my
flawless alloy wheel the other day, as well.

There is a lot of good work around, but there are a few turds out there to watch out for.

So my takeaway from this rifle and my wheel....
If looks are very important to you, pull the mechanic who will be doing the work aside (not his boss the actual guy).
If they balk at this, walk away.
Ask him, "Can you do this work without ANY COLLATERAL DAMAGE ?"
At least then he knows that he has been put on notice and just maybe he won't get lazy and run wild on your stuff.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top