JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Part of being a professional gunsmith is being tooled up properly.
Using tools out of the kitchen junk drawer doesn't cut it..

Exactly! I look back now and realize I could have paid off my house in 10 years with all the money I have spent on machines, tooling, fixtures, headspace gauges, chamber reamers, The list goes on.

Ughh thanks for reminding me again.;)

I worked as a machinist for a gunsmith many years ago. One day he damaged a customer's rifle, underneath where the customer might not have ever noticed it. He spent a lot of time and money making it right, apologized all over himself and made sure the customer was happy. His specialty was (and still is) high dollar precision rifles, so his reputation is everything.

I worked as a machinist for a gunsmith many years ago. One day he damaged a customer's rifle, underneath where the customer might not have ever noticed it. He spent a lot of time and money making it right, apologized all over himself and made sure the customer was happy. His specialty was (and still is) high dollar precision rifles, so his reputation is everything.

See that's the kind of craftsman I would keep coming back too. NO one is perfect. That he was willing to admit his mistake and make it right would seal my business. As I mentioned my mechanic screwed up one of the kids cars many years ago. Wife was all bent out of shape at the time. I said calm down and let me see what he does. His answer was come in on his day off to fix it free. I told the Wife that was above and beyond in my book. That's why he is still my go to mechanic many years later.

Well. Once again Ive been screwed.

Should have listened to those of you who told me to cut my losses and run... I had to be stubborn about it.

So, I took it in Monday... got an email last night saying that it was ready.

Along with an invoice for $100. $200 for the job minus $100 because I stripped the receiver down before bringing it in so all he had to do was coat it.

I told him that wasnot going to fly... but offered to give $40 to cover the material
*compromise offer since it wasnt a stocked color
*a small claims filing would cost more

Below is the email chain........

**************************************************************************************
Les

I suppose its just a failure of communication on both out parts here for not being specific. In our last email exchange, when you asked what it was that I was seeking regarding the rifle, I replied that I wanted the affected areas repaired and the rifle to be refinished...

In my mind I was suggesting this work be done to resolve the negligent, superficial damage that occurred during the barrel swap... Under the circumstances, I was not expecting an invoice, even for this amount.

However, in the spirit of compromise, and getting this settled...
Let me give you $40 which should cover the cost of the Duracoat, and the labor will be on you.

I can be there around lunchtime tomorrow... cash in hand, and we can put this behind us, what do you say?

Thanks
Brian

----------
Hi Brian - I think reducing the cost 50% is the compromise. Superficial is the key word.

Regards.
Les Jonsson

----------
Les

What I am seeing is an invoice for a full price job, minus $100 for the gun already being stripped.
So you're offering $50 then?

Yes, superficial is the key word. Superficial is not the same as insignificant.
I dont like how you're portraying me as being unreasonable here.

How much of a gun's value is in the quality of its finish?
Is there not an entire industry dedicated to the aesthetics of firearms?
From parkerizing to varying levels of hot bluing, hundreds of colors from Cerakote and Duracoat.... there is a reason these exist.
Two functionally identical guns, one with a pristine finish will be worth more than the one with a worn finish.

As is the case here, the value of my gun was negatively affected due to an act of negligence on your part. To make amends for that, I was asking for the metal to be repaired and the gun to be refinished... restoring its value and making right what done while the gun was in your care.

I could go on with any number of analogies and point out things that we both already know.

The bottom line is that my offer of $40 to cover the material cost was more than generous considering the situation. The labor, etc associated with this is on you.

We've already gone over 20 emails in this already. The $40 is the most I am willing to offer here.
If that isn't something you're willing to do, let me know by around 12 today so I can either pick it up or take another path to resolve this.

Thanks
Brian

************************************************************************************

SO, thats where it stands as of this morning.

Offering $40 is bullbubblegum, but its cheaper than my alternatives.

Now I find myself in a tough spot.
Before it was simple. My property was damaged and I could file a small claims case based on the cost of repairing it.

What do I file for in this case? The amount he is asking for?
Assuming that small claims cases have to have a monetary judgement, is there another way to legally demand return of my property?

Should have listened to those of you who told me to cut my losses and run... I had to be stubborn about it.

Along with an invoice for $100. $200 for the job minus $100 because I stripped the receiver down before bringing it in so all he had to do was coat it.

I told him that wasnot going to fly... but offered to give $40 to cover the material

**************************************************************************************
Les

I suppose its just a failure of communication on both out parts here for not being specific. In our last email exchange, when you asked what it was that I was seeking regarding the rifle, I replied that I wanted the affected areas repaired and the rifle to be refinished...

In my mind I was suggesting this work be done to resolve the negligent, superficial damage that occurred during the barrel swap... Under the circumstances, I was not expecting an invoice, even for this amount.

Let me give you $40 which should cover the cost of the Duracoat, and the labor will be on you.

I can be there around lunchtime tomorrow... cash in hand, and we can put this behind us, what do you say?

Thanks
Brian

----------
Hi Brian - I think reducing the cost 50% is the compromise. Superficial is the key word.

Regards.
Les Jonsson

----------
Les

What I am seeing is an invoice for a full price job, minus $100 for the gun already being stripped.

From parkerizing to varying levels of hot bluing, hundreds of colors from Cerakote and Duracoat.... there is a reason these exist.
Two functionally identical guns, one with a pristine finish will be worth more than the one with a worn finish.

As is the case here, the value of my gun was negatively affected due to an act of negligence on your part. To make amends for that, I was asking for the metal to be repaired and the gun to be refinished... restoring its value and making right what done while the gun was in your care.

I could go on with any number of analogies and point out things that we both already know.

The bottom line is that my offer of $40 to cover the material cost was more than generous considering the situation. The labor, etc associated with this is on you.

We've already gone over 20 emails in this already. The $40 is the most I am willing to offer here.
If that isn't something you're willing to do, let me know by around 12 today so I can either pick it up or take another path to resolve this.

Thanks
Brian

************************************************************************************

Before it was simple. My property was damaged and I could file a small claims case based on the cost of repairing it.

Assuming that small claims cases have to have a monetary judgement, is there another way to legally demand return of my property?

I don't want to rub salt in the wound here but I am at a loss. The guy did sloppy work and basically told you tough. So you took your gun to him again? And are surprised that he is again screwing you? The old saying fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me, comes to mind here.

For some reason I'm not suprised you are having further issues with him.
Has he repaired the damaged area yet? Amd do you have photos?
If not get your rifle out of there and don't go back.

Yep, clear cut case of cut and run to me. Get this moron out of your life, it's not worth fighting at this stage. Then tell everyone you can about his piss poor business practices so others don't suffer the same fate.

Just to be clear, this is Clark County Gunsmithing. Correct?

I hate to write off someone that loves to do something, but the service on this is just damning. I can't see any reason anyone would go to him for anything with an attitude like that.

OTOH, if you're still unsatisfied, I have a dremmel and some spraypaint and I am good to go anytime you want to bring that bad boy in.

If he is going to fight over $50, $10 more than your suggested $40, this is not rational.

If he'd have refunded everything and then fixed it till you liked it, it would have cost him less than just two of us here deciding not to go to him for a Cerakote.

It just doesn't make sense.

A true craftsman takes pride in his work and feels horrible about any mistake. And will do what ever it takes to make it right.

Trying to blow it off says a lot about his quality and character.

"Velzey, the clothing optional gunsmith". I can see the ad campaign now. Though maybe I dont want to.

:s0113:

This is too funny!!!!

The first thing that I thought of when reading your reply was "The Naked Winery" wines. (out near The Dalles in think?)

Maybe Velzey can advertise as "The Naked Gunsmith".

:s0140:

You never know how things will work out in court.
As painful as it would be to pride and my wallet ... I'd pay what it took to get my rifle from the gunsmith and never do business with him again.
Andy

With all due respect here's a better idea:

Walk in cool as a cuke, ask to see the rifle. Take freshly duracoated rifle and stuff it up gunbutcher's arse until his throat bulges and parade him around his "shop" like a kid with a new popsicle until he sees the light. Then offer to pay 50% of the proctologist bill to have said rifle removed..

Les

Thanks
Brian

----------

Regards.
Les Jonsson

----------
Les

Thanks
Brian

This has me banging my head against the wall, I will not poke my finger in yer eye and say we told you so, but Damn!!!! I say cut and run how ever you have to to get your property back, and be done with this Azz Hat!!! What ever your rifle needs at this point, I would strongly recommend taking to Jon and having him look it over and discuss a plan to correct things at least back to factory.
One thing I might recommend once Jon has this in hand is to have him blend and de-horn the receiver in the area that is damaged there by effectively repairing the damage AND giving the rifle a mild customization that I think you might actually want for this rifle given the intended purpose I am thinking you have for this rifle!

Well...

I've been outplayed.

The disclaimer on the original invoice....what I read as him being released from liability if I'm injured through MY negligent use of a gun he worked on.....

Turns out that I was actually giving him a pass in negligently damaging my gun.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top