JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's been late when I've been posting the last few nights so I missed a little.

I'm curious about something, " Don't confuse tool marks with damage"
I don't have a receiver wrench that clamps in the area of the damage, or any other tool that holds that area. The area that gets clamped in the forward receiver ring.
He did admit that he forgot a stainless shim. You don't use stainless steel shims on barrels or receivers. We use brass, lead shim stock, leather sometimes, blue painters tape.. always something that won't marr the metal.

So that being said you could take your car into a repair shop, they could fix the motor problem. Then walk up and down your car with a ball peen hammer and make lots of little dents.
It's ok tho, cos it doesn't effect how the motor runs..:D

If you think this damage doesn't effect the rifle, head on down to your local shop to trade it in.
The shop will say ok what do we have here? Hmmm ok this rifle is worth $400 trade in! Oh wait, what's this damge here in the receiver?
Hmmmm well I didn't see this at first so we need to take this into account.
I'm only going to offer you $150 for it because of the damage.
Would you like your $150 in cash or store credit?
The best part of working from home is,
View attachment 376782
SEE! SEE! We told you!

Here is another thought that I'm not sure has been brought up. For your safety take it to John. If this guy isn't doing things correctly or half azzed and this thing blows up in your face or you have a major malfunction then its you that suffers personally. Or worst yet its your wife or kids shooting. Maybe I'm way off base but safety has to come first.

Well, he as agreed to properly repair the spot and refinish the entire thing, no charge of course.

Ill be taking it to @NWCustomFirearms beforehand to get his opinion on the condition of the receiver...

Assuming Jon gives it a green light for being safe to fire, Ill take it in to CCG to refinish. I told him Id give him a chance to make it right, so I will give him that chance...
I figure the worst case scenario now is the botches the finish job... in that case, I can blast it off and take it in to Jon for a proper job.

Just for fun, here is the rifle in question.
Sort of a mock-up since the new barrel wont fit the original stock, but you get the idea.
WP_20170715_23_30_59_Pro.jpg
WP_20170715_23_31_49_Pro.jpg

The best part is... someday I will get to shoot it.;)

Great thread. I've been looking at getting some work done on a cherry Winchester Model 70 that I want to ding up myself, not have someone else do it for me. Definitely won't be taking it to CCGS or any other firearm for any kind of work.

Well, he as agreed to properly repair the spot and refinish the entire thing, no charge of course.

Ill be taking it to @NWCustomFirearms beforehand to get his opinion on the condition of the receiver...

Assuming Jon gives it a green light for being safe to fire, Ill take it in to CCG to refinish. I told him Id give him a chance to make it right, so I will give him that chance...
I figure the worst case scenario now is the botches the finish job... in that case, I can blast it off and take it in to Jon for a proper job.

Just for fun, here is the rifle in question.
Sort of a mock-up since the new barrel wont fit the original stock, but you get the idea.
View attachment 377062
View attachment 377063

The best part is... someday I will get to shoot it.;)
This is good... You definitely show more patience, than many would under the circumstances. Please keep us updated, as we all feel a little vested to the situation now.
Nice rifle BTW... I've always been a huge Savage fan. I have a FVSR.22, just sold my 110 7mm, and a 6.5 stealth is on the top of my "Someday" list.

I wonder if he caught wind of this thread?

Hi Brian - Yes, generally on the Savage I wrap a stainless steel shim around the points of wrench contact. As I explained, getting the recoil lug aligned takes several tightening & loosening attempts. I neglected to use the shim, just that once, and it occurred. But I did point it out at pick up. I filed it down a bit and spot blackened but once bitten...
Since it's a blemish in the event you decide to Duracoat it can be eliminated.

I wonder how this guy chucks up a Savage barreled action and wrenches on it with his "shim" ?
Does not sound legit and I wonder if he has bent actions doing this ?

And to fix an area that is more of a chip than a mar with a coating ?

Hopefully it turns out OK.

Next time on a Savage, get a receiver wrench, borrow gauges and a cheater bar (factory fit barrels are VERY tightly screwed in) and do it yourself. I wouldn't recommend or do this on any other action, but on Savages you can do it yourself.

Once you have done it once, you can change out a barrel on a Savage in less than 10 minutes at your bench at the range. I've gone from .308 to 6mmbr, re-zeroed the scope and been shooting again in 10 min.

that was the issue...

barrel vise, nut wrench & gauges would've put me out $150 or so for a project that I wouldn't do again... A 'smith could do it for under $100...

i don't know anyone who has that kind of gear to borrow from either. Otherwise I would've loved doing it myself

that was the issue...

barrel vise, nut wrench & gauges would've put me out $150 or so for a project that I wouldn't do again... A 'smith could do it for under $100...

i don't know anyone who has that kind of gear to borrow from either. Otherwise I would've loved doing it myself

If you had bought those tools, then you'd be the guy we could borrow from.

that was the issue...

I do. Happy to lend it out.

Maybe we need a section for stuff like this.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top