JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My favorite semi auto 20180907_202923.jpg

So someone is doing research, for some reason that isn't really clear, as to what other semi auto rifles exist besides the AR? And we at NWFA are going to make a list for them??:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Edit: One more point, there are LOTS of semi auto rifles out there that aren't AR's and I'm sure aren't even on any anti's radar. So why make any "public" list to put them on the radar?

Now I'm outta here.

Not sure if it was mentioned as I didnt read through all 10 pages of responses but making a list and showing other semi autos wont make a difference I dont think. If they ban AR's I doubt they will actually word it like it. They will ban SEMI auto guns and all those other guns will fall into that category regardless of who makes it or what it looks like.

Honestly as a technical design, the svt40 COULD have been better then the m1 garand.
In terms of actual rifles, springfield armory produced superior quality guns that used better ammo as did pretty much all american manufacturers compared to soviets.
Lack of interchangeable mags was a no go, not as good (but still good) machining quality, corrosive ammo, Cheap wood for the stock, not easy to feild strip as the m1 garand, not as fast to load.
If the svt40 was made by Americans it would have been far ahead of its time. Piston system with interchangeable mags in ww2 with a muzzle device. Hell i think the safety on the svt is better then the Garands. The svt is also lighter (atleast it felt lighter to my hands).
The french had a design on their hands that was better then the svt but didn't really come till after the war

And the germans, well they had a rifle.

They had the Mauser...

And they were ahead with the assault rifle concept.
I was thinking of semi autos.
The g43 was... a rifle.

The stg was good cheap and effective for new tactics.
Then theres the fg42 which should be in the running.

But if we are to be honest, the Johnson 1941 won at the end of the day, as its bolt locking mechanism went on to create the ar10 then 15 with stoner.
Soooo ar15 wins:p

But SVTs were revolutionary with their short stroke tilting block action, which would later be used on the SKS and FN49, and FN would adapt that action into the FAL. So really, the SVT wins :D

But SVTs were revolutionary with their short stroke tilting block action, which would later be used on the SKS and FN49, and FN would adapt that action into the FAL. So really, the SVT wins :D
The FAL did have a long service life and is still used today... Used by more countries than the M14, used longer as well.

Do it! You'll love it! Best semi auto of WWII

I hate to always be the contrarian ... sorta.. but not even close. The SVT40 is an interesting rifle (I admit that I think virtually all rifles are interesting) but nowhere as rugged, robust or accurate as the M1 Garand. The gas system is poorly timed so it needs a fluted chamber to prevent case head separation and you won't field strip it in under 60 seconds. Considering it came along 15-20 years later it should be better but it's not really. Two extra rounds in the magazine doesn't compensate for its other shortcomings. Different? Yes. Better? No.

The Johnson's bolt system resembles the M16 only in the sense of multiple locking lugs. The mode of operation is very different. It's another rifle that, while interesting for sure, gets praise that overlooks its not so good aspects like primarily IMO lots of little fiddly bits. It does have the advantages of a quick change barrel and the ability to clean it from the breech end, a shortcoming of the M1 family. Also the arguably better ability to top off the magazine offset by having to use stripper clips that aren't as fast as the en-bloc clip of the M1.

I think the M14 beats its contemporaries in the sense of action strength, gas system and ease of field stripping (even better than the M1), better sights, better trigger out of the box. I think the only place the FAL might beat it is in ease of manufacture. The M14 (and Garand) receiver is a fairly exotic part. Some may like the ergonomics of the FAL better but I think some of that is what you're used to. I do like it the best of pistol grip stocked rifles. The FAL was also about a pound heavier than the M14, at least in the form tested in our service rifle trials.

OK, there ya go. Some stuff to flame about :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads